On the horns of a dilemma?

April 13, 2010

SPAIN/

Blog Guy, may I get a little serious here?

I really wish you wouldn’t.

root bull vertical 260Thanks. Last week when you wrote about El Señor Magoo, the matador with bad eyesight, some of the commenters mentioned going to bullfights and rooting for the bull. Is that allowed?

Yes, I’m sure it must be. What possible logic could there be in only allowing folks to root for the matador?

I mean, imagine saying, “I’d like to go to the Raptors/Pistons game tonight, but they’re only letting Raptors fans in.”

Yeah, when you put it that way…

In fact, let’s extend that sports analogy a bit, even though bullfighting isn’t really a sport.

If only one team was playing VOLUNTARILY, and the other was being FORCED to play, then I imagine everybody would root for the unwilling underdog.

The more I think about it, the more I’m sure they must have to PAY a few poor slobs to root for the matador at these things!

I bet you’re right, Blog Guy. How much cash would it take to get YOU to root for the bullfighter?

There’s not enough money on earth.

Spanish matador Oliva Soto is tackled by a bull during a bullfight in The Maestranza bullring in Seville April 12, 2010. REUTERS/Marcelo del Pozo

You know what I don’t like? Sport hunting. So called hunters sit in their little hiding spot box thingy (forgot what it is called) with their high powered rifles (scoped if they are extra pansy) and shoot something from yards away. Their only claim to anything achieving sportsmanship is possibly that they can sit still and be very quiet for long periods of time. I feel if you want to be a hunter, grab a pocketknife and go kill a bear with it.

At least, at the very least, the matador gets up close and personal with the bull. And yeah, it’s like watching NASCAR. Sure it’s ok to watch them going round and round and round the track, but every knows they are just waiting for a crash!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

That is profound thinking actually, Mr.Pilot…

As I’ve said here before, I grew up on a farm. We did our own butchering, and I hunted (rabbit, squirrel, deer, raccoons) and trapped. After the military, I had no desire to ever pick up a firearm again.

In the Chapter “Higher Laws” in Walden, Henry David Thoreau says that young people should hunt, because it ultimately teaches respect for life.

I think there is some truth to that line of thought.

I used to teach Walden every spring. Now, I reread it every spring.

“I long ago lost a hound, a bay horse, and a turtledove, and am still on their trail. Many are the travellers I have spoken concerning them, desribing their tracks and what calls they answered to. I have met one or two who have heard the hound, and the tramp of the horse, and even seen the dove disappear behind a cloud, and they seemed as anxious to recover them as if they had lost them themselves.”

Walden, Chapter I

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

@Unca, I would say give me an M4 and let’s have at it but that would be insulting to those who actually have military and combat experience. If I could have a “do over” I would sign up. Although instead of an M4 I would prefer an A-10. Tank killing…yeah, that would be nice.

@Shra, what can I say, I just love all the woodland creatures. Purely in a plutonic way though otherwise there would be something wrong with me.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I am hoping that you are reaching for wry humor, unc. You certainly can’t believe that war is in any way fair, let alone a sport? Great comments, Doc.

Posted by NWHiker | Report as abusive

Bullfighting models, now THAT I’d like to see. But, I guess they don’t let girls become matadors. Or would it be matadores?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

I do like that they dress so colourfully for the flying through the air thing. Very thoughtful.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

JustCAM, a female matadore is a matadoris.

CrowGirl, I just wish I could add cartoon sounds to those photos. BOINK!!!! WAH-WAH-WAHHHHH….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

It must be bullfighting season again! YAY! How I’ve missed Blog Guy’s thinly concealed disgust for the sport.

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

Now THERE’s an idea!
Victoria’s Secret Matadoris! (With some nice strappy heels for Shra)
Now we just have to come up with some way to keep the bulls on the runway… or not.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

One of my teammates in college should have been a bullfighter. He thought he was “too much of a man” to do anything but play sports and talk about how great he was. (He was so conceited that he wouldn’t even talk to his own brothers.) He went by a first name and then two initials for his two middle names, and then his last name, as in “John E.R. Smith.” Very pretentious.

I can see him in these pictures getting tossed around by the bull. Heck, I’d pay good money to see that! Then, he could go by the name “Les C.O. Jones”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Damn LMR, I thought I was keeping that hidden pretty well. Who tipped you off?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

No-one BG, I’m just really intuitive…

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

Did someone say strappy heels!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
I like, i like, i like!!

@Ifly: I am with you on this mate :)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

@Unca, if I was gonna have to trade in my wings for a pair of boots, I figure the M134 would do nicely for my spray’n'pray style. And if you really didn’t want me on the ground but I could not have an A-10 then set me up in an AC-130 and let me rain down hell from above. :)

A sawed-off with buck shot.. ha ha, that’ll clear a room right quick!

If there were VS mata…doris…es… then there would only be one cartoon sound neccessary, BOING!!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@Shra, I am with you on this one. Strappy heels, runway, lingerie… you on strappy heels AND lingerie ON the runway…

Yes, spot on.

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Ha ha ha ha, M, I was just thinking about the strappy heels though! :P

[...] La semana pasada, cuando escribió acerca de El Señor Magoo, el matador con problemas de visión, algunos de los comentaristas mencionados va a las corridas de toros, y pronunciarse por el toro. ¿Está esto permitido? URL del artículo original http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/04/13/on-the-horns-of-a-dilemma/ [...]

[...] Guy, the other day you explained that it’s perfectly okay to root for the bull at a bullfight. So what else can we do to help even the [...]