Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Bring your banker, we’re grilling out!

April 28, 2010

OBAMA/Well, you really screwed up this time, Blog Guy!

You’re talking about yesterday’s posting, right?

You bet. You got all up on your high horse about the British elections, and made it sound like the Europeans are barbaric because they dissolve governments and hang parliaments. Like the U.S.A. is so much more civilized.

I know. Don’t rub it in.

So what happens? That VERY afternoon I go to the lead story on reuters.com, and what do you think I see?

mmmm nnnnn mmmmmm bbbbbmmm ggmmmm

You’re mumbling, Blog Guy. I can’t HEAR YOU! What was the headline again?

Sigh. “GOLDMAN SACHS EXECS FACE SENATE GRILLING.”

grilling goldman 280Exactly. I think I’d rather be hanged or dissolved than grilled, Blog Guy.

And it gets worse. Bloomberg said the bank has been “beaten up in the court of public opinion,” and others talked about “sacrificial lambs” and “drawing blood.”

THAILAND VEGETARIANSo where is your civilized society now, Blog Guy? Huh?

I’m actually kind of relieved. I was afraid you would throw the CNN Money story in my face. Oops.

Thanks for reminding me. That would be the one about the executives being “raked over the coals?”

President Barack Obama puts a ribeye steak on the grill on the South Lawn of the White House, June 19, 2009. REUTERS/Larry Downing

Goldman Sachs officials are sworn in prior to testifying before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Investigations Subcommittee hearing on “Wall Street and the Financial Crisis: The Role of Investment Banks” on Capitol Hill in Washington, April 27, 2010. REUTERS/Jim Young

A Thai-Chinese Buddhist devotee walks over hot coal during the annual Vegetarian Festival in Phuket province, southwest of Bangkok, in a 2005 file photo. REUTERS/Sukree Sukplang

Comments

I like this issue! It’s burning hot!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

I’ll send my banker, but you have to make him crawl on those coals…

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Mmmmm steak!!

Here’s a useless bit of information for y’all. Today is my seven year anniversary of working in this jai..I mean job. And today I had lunch at a place called…(wait for it)…

“Seven”

Coincidence?

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

What could be a worse punishment than having to watch congress grill something? They have to vote on if they want chicken or beef. The vegetarians feel unrepresented. The dems wanna push through tator tots as a side but the repubs say no and vow to block it. A year later they still haven’t even lit the charcoal.

Truly cruel and unusual if you ask me.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

E, I congratulate you not on your seven year service to your job. Rather I congratulate you on surviving seven years in containment without ending up making the 11 o’clock news. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

My banker is Jabba the Hutt. It might take a while to grill him. Grilled bankers turn out too tough/stringy. Might be better to bake them. Enjoy with a nice chianti and some fava beans.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Thanks Spinster and ifly. I’ve been kinda giddy all day.

And ifly, I’m a little too smart to make the news…they’ll never catch me!! Wheeee!!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Sure, E. That’s what Knit_Nurse thought, too….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

So they invite vegetarians to a festival and then they cook them! Who eats them if only vegetarians came? Or do they also have a secret invitation sent out to cannibals?

Posted by Gwai | Report as abusive

Ha ha E, I have no doubt you are of a brilliant and cunning mind. ;)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Congrats E!!!!!

@E: seven years…hmm isn’t it a bit long period, even by your standards? hehe :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Nah, what Knit_Nurse thought was that they’d never PROVE it. Which, to be fair, they haven’t.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Hush with the incriminating words now, CG. They never PROVE anything, which is why they say beyond reasonable doubt.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Well, seven years is pretty good considering I only came in on a one year contract :P .

As for proof…the only thing they’ll ever find is in a bowl of pudding…and that bowl is resting at the bottom of a lake. And that lake is in an uninhabited region of untamed wilderness. And that wilderness is is in an un-named country which hasn’t been discovered yet.

Need I say more?

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Interesting, E., but I was just reading that they discovered that country – and the bowl of pudding – late yesterday.

And yes, the head of the expedition was quoted as saying, “The proof is in the pudding.”

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Must be someone else’s bowl o’ pudding Baz. I mean, there’s a looooot of undiscovered countries out there!

Wait…someone’s knocking at my door. brb.

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I am so thoroughly confused…. what are we talking about again????

Ah, the old knock at the door. In my country, that would be a Death Panel…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

BTW E., I checked. There are not a “looooooot of undiscovered countries out there.”

There are only Belgium and Honduras.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Oh see Baz, you’re only thinking of the undiscovered countries on the planet Earth.

Gotta broaden yer thinking.

Shra…we’re talking about pudding. Vanilla pudding.

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Mr B, there’s officially loads of undiscovered countries out there. That’s why there’s always some blank pages at the back of an atlas, for you to draw them in if you find them.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Maybe you’re right, CG. Great picture of you on FB. Is that new? Boy, you’re finally coming out of your shell….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Shell? Crowgirl? Are we thinking of the same person, Mr B?

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Ooooh alrighty I’m gonna rush over to FB now to take a look!

:D