Hey look, a rich guy with ice cream!

May 2, 2010

BERKSHIRE/

Blog Guy, please help settle a bet with my dog groomer…

Aaarrrrgh!!!! Again with the settling of bets! What is it THIS time?

Have people in Nebraska ever seen a rich guy eat ice cream?

buffett combo 300You know, I would have said yes, but now I’m not so sure.

This top photo shows really rich guy Warren Buffett chomping on a vanilla orange ice cream bar yesterday. He certainly is attracting gawkers.

Well, maybe this is the first time he’s tried it.

No, here are more shots of him with ice cream bars from 2009 and 2008.

And what about the years before that?

Hey Slick, it’s a Sunday. I’m not going all the way back to 1950 just to get you free dog grooming!

Top: Berkshire Hathaway chairman Warren Buffett takes a bite of a Dairy Queen vanilla orange ice cream bar at the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting in Omaha, May 1, 2010.  Dairy Queen is a Berkshire Hathaway company. REUTERS/Rick Wilking

Combo left: Buffett eats ice cream during the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting in Omaha, May 2, 2009. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

Combo right: Buffett eats ice cream during the annual Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting in Omaha, May 3, 2008. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

Is a “vanilla orange ice cream bar” what we in the UK would call an ice lolly ? Who is Mr Buffett ? He owns ice cream parlours ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

You have a lot of this wrong, CrowGirl, and I’m glad you came here for clarification.

First, I believe what you in the UK call a lolly is what we in America call a truck. You use the phrase “articulated lolly” for what we would call a truck with a good vocabulary.

Mr. Buffett is what we here would call “a real rich guy,” and you in the UK would call, well, a typical American.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

You rich Mr. B.? Cause I ain’t rich. How do I become a “typical American” then?

An “articulated lolly” comes with independant rear suspension and 4-wheel drive… if my translation is correct.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Well, he is rich and consistent we can say. Oh no wait a second! Each year he is wearing a different tie. Yeah but he is still rich.

Posted by FundyFUN | Report as abusive

No Pilot, I’m not rich. I just meant that’s how folks from developing countries like the UK think of all us Americans.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Ice lolly? No, it’s a Fifty-Fifty! (Makes new shopping list)

Posted by vwgal | Report as abusive

@RB: That was just rude yet inspiring :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

I spent yestereday with a 6-year-old boy, “Tim,” whose Mother ( a client) was at the hospital removing her husband (and Tim’s Dad)from life support. He crossed the bridge very peacefully within a few minutes, as we thought he would.

Tim and I planted vegetables in my vege garden and made cookies. Tim said he wanted to plant flower seeds in a pot for Mother’s Day, and we did that. And he said he wanted to plant some in a pot for Father’s Day. And we did that, too.

Now, I’m in support mode. This is going to be very hard.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Umm…. I dont… so, pardon me right there… !!!

You know, Mr Buffett doesn’t look like he’s enjoying any of those ice creams, clearly money is not the key to happiness. Or it’s crap ice cream.

Wondered where you’d been Doc; sorry to hear of your troubles.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

No CG money is not the key to happiness.. it’s the massive amount of stuff you can buy with money that is!

As comedian Daniel Tosh once said; “Money can’t buy happines, but it can buy a waverunner. Have you ever tried to frown on a waverunner?”

Doc, while you are there to support those around you, we are here to support you! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Oh and I will be more than happy to show anyone from the UK my paycheck and squash that misconception right fast.

Speaking of paychecks… do you need a sidekick Mr. B.? We could have our pictures side by side and be called Rob & Rob of Oddly Enough!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Thank you, everyone.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Mr.Pilot! Would be more than happy to see that paycheck, so that I can show you mine and then you can have a laugh!
Doc, here’s a Biggggg huggg for ya! And we are all here for you!

First things first…the ice cream bar or ‘lolly’ is what we called back home a ‘creamsicle’. And now I’m craving one. Baz, it’s your fault!

Now, second things first…Doc, that’s a lovely story, thank you for sharing.

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

What’s a waverunner ?! Is that like a jetski ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Shra, ha ha yeah… we are broke. :p

CrowGirl, it’s exactly like a jetski :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Waverunner, jetski, stand up, sit down… all the same thing to me. It’s something that money can buy to make one happy.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

[...] Slick Hey, es un domingo. No voy todo el camino de vuelta a 1950 sólo para que te preparación del perro gratis! URL del artículo original http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/05/02/hey-look-a-rich-guy-with-ice-cr eam/ [...]

Unca, that’s a nice one! LOL :-) Yes, he probably can claim the Buffet table!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

[...] course. Bet-Settlers R Us. That’s what we do [...]

[...] course. Bet-Settlers R Us. That’s what we do [...]

[...] earth did you even MEET the dental hygienist of your yoga… Oh never mind, I’m here to settle bets. What’s this one [...]