Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Bring on the dancing bodyguards!

May 4, 2010

mayor boris 490

Blog Guy, I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of seeing photos of world leaders and their bodyguards. You can always spot them, and they just look menacing. Isn’t there a better way to protect important people?

BRITAIN/Indeed there is. This man is Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, with the guards who travel with him.

Note how graceful they look, but make no mistake. They are a formidable fighting force, ready to take on anybody with martial arts and an array of…

Wait a minute, Blog Guy. No offense, but it looks like they weren’t even able to protect the mayor from a bad barber. Where did you get your information on this?

The usual place. I just looked at a photo and made it up.

Blog Guy, I’m pretty sure this is just a group of Indian dancers on a regular train with the mayor. But I bet commuters were surprised to see this scene when the doors opened.

Not half as surprised as the audience at Albert Hall, when the curtain went up and they saw the mayor’s real bodyguards trying to do Indian dances.

GEORGIA-COUP/Join the Oddly Enough blog network

Mayor of London, Boris Johnson (2nd R), poses on a train with a group of Indian dancers at Dalston Junction station, in London April 27, 2010. Johnson opened London Overground’s new East London route on Tuesday. REUTERS/Jas Lehal

Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili (L), surrounded by his guards, in a 2009 file photo. REUTERS/Irakli Gedenidze/Pool

Comments

That looks like a scene straight from a Saturday Night Live skit. Doesn’t Boris Johnson look just like Darrell Hammond impersonating Bill Clinton?
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2008/ga llery/snlquotes/darrell_hammond.jpg

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Now I have heard, anyone can feel free to confirm or deny, that in Indian dance the positioning of the fingers is very important and symbolic. It is insulting to the culture to attempt a dance and not have the fingers positioned just right.

While an M4 is a good way to guard a body, my preference would be an MP5. Dunno, it’s just a nice sleek and sexy way to clear a room to me.

Not that violence is always the answer. We must all learn to play nice and share our Legos. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Yikes, Jibberish! That makes my head explode! It’s like that scene in Julie and Julia, with Meryl Streep as Julia Child watching Dan Aykroyd as Julia Child.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

heheheheehe :D :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

You know… those are not really authentic dance constumes.. I mean, they wouldnt really be for any Indian classical dance…
But then again, just like Boris Johnson looks like Darren Hammond… maybe everyone likes to experiment… Bill certainly did… :P

Of course it does, depending on your personal definition of “real.”

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Boris Johnson is a comedy genius. :)
I like the way that Reuters feel the need to point out which one is him.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Shra, I just learned something.
Does your zapper have an autoerotic function?

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Men in suits with guns. Shame they are not good looking!!

Yer man’s hair…if you can call it that…cracks me up!!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

You would have to tell me exactly what Autoerotic means, Nurse! I do tend to get gutter-brained at times, thanks to BG!

Gutter-brained, eh? It probably means what you think it means then. :)

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Sadly, Boris’ hair seems to be a lifestyle choice.

Ifly; violence isn’t always the answer, it depends very much on the question. :)

Mr B; Yay ! I get to use one of my favourite quotations – “True is a difficult word. Almost as dificult as ‘real’ or ‘now’ .”

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Damn right CrowGirl! :)

Unca, M80s are good for mailboxes and school toilets. If you really want explosive power though just gimme a bowl of chili and wait about an hour.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

“Stand back, or we will poke you in your eyes! Yes, that means you!”

Posted by vwgal | Report as abusive

I do it for the children Unca. Someone has to rid the world of the baddies so the children can sleep safely. I do my part, one toot at a time.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Well, there wont be any, if he eats that bowl of chilli…

Oh no worries Shra… with todays advanced technology I employ the latest in precision tootage. There is little to no collateral damage.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive