Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Just a little slice of life…

May 4, 2010

CHINA

Blog Guy, what’s the scariest thing you’ve seen this week?

This photo, showing some dude walking barefoot on the razor-sharp blade of a giant knife.

CHINAAh. You mean because he might slash his feet, right?

Oh, right. You mean because he’s high up, and he might lose his balance and fall off and smash on the ground?

Nope.

I’ve got it! You mean because he might fall off and instinctively reach out and grab the blade with both hands, and his fingers would slice off like little Vienna sausages, and THEN he’d crash to the ground,  fingerless.

Huh-uh.

Well then you’ve got me, Blog Guy. What’s so scary about it, then?

How can I put this delicately? Do you know what a vasectomy is?

Ewwwwwwwwwww! Ewwwwwwwwwww! I hope you realize every one of your male readers just ran screaming from the room!

So what? As long as my blog is still up on their screens, my traffic numbers will look great.

Ji Jingyu, a 48-year-old stuntman, walks barefoot on a giant knife during a performance at a park in Nanjing, Jiangsu province May 2, 2010. REUTERS/Sean Yong

Comments

You’re a sick man, Baz!!!

:o

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I actually laughed out loud!!!!
I dont want any of our male readers attempting this stunt… esp you, Mr.Pilot! :P

I still have nightmares from learning the hard way that when you play catcher, even in little league baseball, it’s good to wear a nut hut.

Trust me Shra, I am not about to go out there and do anything that might risk hurting my….. well hurting me.. without proper protection. :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I like his outfit.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

I wonder what he does when he gets to the top?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Trivia Question:

Name the Irish poet who had a vasectomy so that he could continue to write poetry.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Hint:

MacDonagh and MacBride
And Connolly and Pearse
Now and in time to be,
Wherever green is worn,
Are changed, changed utterly:
A terrible beauty is born.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

That’s a pretty obscure question, Doc. I’m fairly certain there aren’t any Irish writers published outside their native country.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

The vasectomy was originally called a “Steinach operation,” named after its inventor. The Steinach operation was believed by many to sexually rejuvenate men. To this Irish writer, sex was one and the same as writing poetry. (Maybe that explains why the poet of a few columns back couldn’t keep his trousers up.) If he couldn’t do one, he couldn’t do the other. So, he had a Steinach operation. It apparently had an effect, since this Irish writer started writing poetry again after the procedure. And the poet was…..

William Butler Yeats.

Of course, you might think that after the operation Yeats could only shoot out blank verse.

(I’m sorry.)

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Shra, is your taser fully charged?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Actually, it was only briefly called the “Steinach operation.” It very quickly became known as the “You must be out of your freaking mind” operation, after the universal response of guys who heard about it.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Doc, I’m going to take a wild guess at WB Yeats, what with him doing that stuff about “What rough beast is this…”

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Damn, CrowGirl, how DID you come up with the right answer, and only 39 minutes after Doc himself said it was Yeats? You’re brilliant!

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Ok, Doc… you have done it… zap on full charge!!!

Hold up a sec, Shra. First, we all owe Doc a debt of gratitude for teaching us that even a country like Ireland can produce a writer we’ve heard of. A lesson for us all.

Okay Shra, he’s all yours.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Just thinking of this DIY Steinach.
Ow Ow Ow Ow *cringe* Ow Ow Ow
Lends a whole new meaning to the phrase “nut job”!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Dammit, Doc’s answer wasn’t showing when I guessed, but now no one will believe me. I was quite chuffed with getting that right too. :(

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Well CrowGirl, to quote my own personal favorite Yeats poem, “One man loved the pilgrim soul in you, and loved the sorrows of your changing Facebook…”

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I like surgery. To be more specific, I like anesthesia. One second I am awake, the next I am waking up. Greatest thing ever.

As long as I wake up with all my parts where they are supposed to be of course.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

:sigh: Am I the only Irish commentor on this blog? Y’all are picking on me aren’t ya? (When I say y’all I really mean Baz).

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I have had local anesthesia… I would have liked to be unconscious and would like to see a big bouquet of flowers and a big bix of Godiva chocolates when I wake up… and yes, some hunky male nurses would be vvery nice!

Dunno what Versed is but I am fairly sure from the sound of it Imma want some.

Unca, if Disney ever made a rated R movie I am sure “Tim vs. The Table Saw” would be it.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Versed is a cool brand name for midazolam, I’d not heard that before. We get Hypnovel over here, which is quite descriptive.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Guess you’re not as well-versed as I thought, Nurse

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Or maybe I’m too well-versed. I can’t remember.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

E, dontcha worry.. I’m with ya.. seeing how I am gonna be very soon in your neck of the woods… :P

Awwww darn it knit_nurse!! I wanted to get through at least one day without learning something new.

Shoot. Now I gotta start all over. And I was doing so well!

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Baz, that is my favorite Yeats poem, too (First line: “When you are old….”) I almost quoted from that poem for my hint, but I didn’t think people would have heard of that poem, even though, ahem, Yeats won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

For the record, I love Irish detective fiction, especially “Odd Man Out,” by F.L. Green, which was made into a film by Sir Carol Reed, another favorite.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Great minds do think alike, Doc. That one is just impossibly romantic, and gets more meaningful as we grow older.

You do understand, I hope, that my reference to Irish writers was only intended to jerk Egeria’s chain.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

F.L. Green, huh? Doc, a little known fact is that Sir Carol Reed would only direct movies by writers named Green or Greene. It’s kind of a sub specialty, but he did it well.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I had a vasectomy and suffered PVPS, and I can attest that I would rather have been that guy falling on the blade. It would have been quicker, and not dragged the pain out for months.

Posted by toddhas3balls | Report as abusive

It’s not my favourite of his, but I do like ‘pilgrim soul’.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Thanks for your honesty Baz, I like that.

But wait…does that mean you’re a…(wait for it)…jerk?

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

You guys actually quote poets…. wow…. I struggle to remember poems… the only one I know.. that too the last 2 lines are from Invictus… that too coz I saw the film first…. you guys simply \m/

Sure, Egeria. I thought you knew that.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Shra, great minds can quote poems, like this:

Shake and shake
The catsup bottle.
None’ll come,
And then a lot’ll.

Or this one:

When you want to kiss your honey,
And her nose is kinda runny,
You may think it’s funny,
But it’s not.

CG, so which Yeats poem is your favorite?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

That’s great, Doc. You must be familiar with this one, too:

I eat my peas with honey,
I’ve done it all my life
It may taste sort of funny,
But it keeps them on my knife….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Baz, you’ve reminded me of the great wisdom of Confucius.

“Better to have jerk, jerk your chain than to have chain ignored or no chain at all.”

;)

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

So E, is Confucius saying it sucks to be a woman?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Not at all ifly, in fact I think he said it sucks to be a man. Confucius said “Better to know everything, than to know nothing.”

That’s pretty clear he agrees it’s much better to be a woman.

;)

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Bravo E!!! Bravo!!!

Doc, proably ‘Broken Dreams’. But I do also like ‘Drinking Song’ and ‘Spilt Milk’. And ‘The Second Coming’. Ooh, and that one about old men being mad…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive