Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

I’ll have a root beer vanilla flotilla…

May 5, 2010

ITALY

Blog Guy, I read with interest your piece on the upcoming regatta for the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop. But isn’t a regatta just the same thing as a flotilla?

flotilla godzilla 220No, not to a careful wordsmith. Flotilla has more of a military connotation, like a small fleet of ships. Very often, a flotilla is organized for a specific tactical purpose.

For example?

Like moving King Kong to New York City. You remember, the Gorilla Flotilla?

Ah, right! Or that one that took the big monster away from Japan?

Yeah, the Godzilla Flotilla.

And didn’t they use one to exile that Mexican outlaw?

Sure, the famous Pancho Villa Flotilla. Actually, this strategy goes back hundreds of years, to the naval attack on the Visigoths in 450 AD, known as the Attila Flotilla.

Indeed, it even goes back to Greek Mythology. To circumvent that six-headed monster, Odysseus organized the fabled Scylla Flotilla. Then he…

I’m sorry to interrupt you, Blog Guy, but this sounds WAY too much like LEARNING, which you vowed would never happen in your blog.

Oh don’t worry, it’s not really learning if everything you see here is just plain wrong.

That’s true, I guess. This flotilla thing sounds like those convoys they use to deliver U.S. ambassadors to their foreign posts.

Yes, it is somewhat similar to an Envoy Convoy…

Do your civic duty. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

The Italian frigate ITS Zeffiro (front C) leads a flotilla of NATO warships from Turkey, Britain, Germany and Greece during the Noble Manta anti-submarine exercises southeast of Sicily February 15, 2009.  REUTERS/CPO Luigi Cotrufo-Italian Navy/Handout

A statue of Godzilla stands in Tokyo in a 2004 file photo. Picture taken December 2, 2004. REUTERS/Yuriko Nakao

Comments

U know I love jelly… :D

I see Prince Charles’s wife contracted a nasty illness from plain-flavoured ice-cream during the event. It was Camilla’s vanilla bacilla flotilla.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

Mercy sakes alive – looks like we got ourselves an envoy!
10-4

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Thanks for the invite Mr. Pilot, but it’s a long flight. But seriously, Barilla – that’s good! :)
Sorry Shra, I only did it so that we could push this entry to the top of the most commented list!!!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Well you did it, Jib, and congrats. Of course, I’d rather see the Basler BT-67 item at the top – better for my other business.
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/05/11/flying-high-with-my-secret-care er/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

And I

Oh I know all about long flights Jibberish, it’s the reason I am in constant trouble with a certain female commenter here.

Well, in any case I do not believe anyone would object to saving you a spot on the OE bench. :)

Oh and Mr. B., in regards to your other business, when you said the BT-67 would come with brakes, you coulda told me before hand that “brakes” meant I would have to hang out the window holding a lifesize cutout of J-Lo’s butt to created drag.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

And that particular female commentator would actually continue to do so, until you actually get your derriere on a plane to get to the other side of the pond!

Shra, is there an attraction to pilots in general, or have you seen photos of said pilot? I am, of course, taking the liberty to assume iflydaplanes is in fact a pilot!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Jibberish, how do I put this diplomatically without hurting Mr.Pilot’s feelings?
I like guys in uniform…and really any guy who is easy on the eyes… and does something other than the usual…
So, really I would rally behind all those good looking, easy going pilots/adventure sportsmen/archaelogists/marine biologists/zookeepers… and the likes.. :)
Not that I would leave any other easy going, pleasing-to-the-eye kinda guy even if he does my kinda job… ;)

Well, I’ll admit that there is something to a uniform. Especially when it’s worn well.
I wanted desperately to be a marine biologist as a child. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, I discovered that math came easily to me AND that I actually enjoyed it. So, here I am as a boring Engineer. :)
So, back to vanilla of my day job!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Thats probably the reason BG has so many of us… people with boring jobs who push his blog commentator numbers up and that increases his ratings…
That we are socialising through his blog is a reward really… :P

Yes Jibberish, I am a certified pilot and hold a degree in aviation science. I currently work in a bank. Things don’t always work out as planned.

My sister holds a degree in marine biology. She currently works as an office administrator in a vetinary office.

Why are you worried about hurting my feelings Shra?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

JB, now you know why I ask Mr.Pilot to fly to the other side of the pond?
I aint worried at all.. :P

Oh man, not another one