I’ll have a root beer vanilla flotilla…

May 5, 2010

ITALY

Blog Guy, I read with interest your piece on the upcoming regatta for the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop. But isn’t a regatta just the same thing as a flotilla?

flotilla godzilla 220No, not to a careful wordsmith. Flotilla has more of a military connotation, like a small fleet of ships. Very often, a flotilla is organized for a specific tactical purpose.

For example?

Like moving King Kong to New York City. You remember, the Gorilla Flotilla?

Ah, right! Or that one that took the big monster away from Japan?

Yeah, the Godzilla Flotilla.

And didn’t they use one to exile that Mexican outlaw?

Sure, the famous Pancho Villa Flotilla. Actually, this strategy goes back hundreds of years, to the naval attack on the Visigoths in 450 AD, known as the Attila Flotilla.

Indeed, it even goes back to Greek Mythology. To circumvent that six-headed monster, Odysseus organized the fabled Scylla Flotilla. Then he…

I’m sorry to interrupt you, Blog Guy, but this sounds WAY too much like LEARNING, which you vowed would never happen in your blog.

Oh don’t worry, it’s not really learning if everything you see here is just plain wrong.

That’s true, I guess. This flotilla thing sounds like those convoys they use to deliver U.S. ambassadors to their foreign posts.

Yes, it is somewhat similar to an Envoy Convoy…

Do your civic duty. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

The Italian frigate ITS Zeffiro (front C) leads a flotilla of NATO warships from Turkey, Britain, Germany and Greece during the Noble Manta anti-submarine exercises southeast of Sicily February 15, 2009.  REUTERS/CPO Luigi Cotrufo-Italian Navy/Handout

A statue of Godzilla stands in Tokyo in a 2004 file photo. Picture taken December 2, 2004. REUTERS/Yuriko Nakao

I have indeed, Spinster. That’s the flotilla that invaded Manila….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I know it’s probably a waste of DoD resources, but since moving to Germany, I miss my Tex-Mex food. Blog Guy, could you see about organizing a Tortilla Flotilla? Bitte!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

I have no idea what you just ordered, RB.

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Did Ali and Frazier book passage on said “flotilla that invaded Manilla” for their famous “Thrilla in Manila”? Would that have instead been called the Thrilla in Manila Flotilla?
Honest, I couldn’t help myself! :-)

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Oh god… this is really becoming too much to handle without meds…. NURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, Jubberish took tortilla… now I actually have to think of something else. I hate having to think.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I wanna root beer float now!! With extra meds!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Make the bad man stop…

Blog Guy, if you tire of root beer, you could always order a Sarsaparilla Flotilla!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Damn! I have to say, Jibberish, I rarely get jealous reading reader comments, but I did today. Why didn’t I think of that one? Damn!

There, there Shra.
Have a medidoughnut and rest your head on this pillow.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Yes Spinster. Either that or a mink flotilla.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I want your job. (Jibberish is a piker!)

Posted by GoingLikeSixty | Report as abusive

I think I am just gonna sit here in awe of everyones ability to rhyme flotilla.

And Jibberish one-upped Mr. B. Beginners luck or is this a sign of the second coming? Bum Bum BUUUMMMMM.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Well, Mr. Basler, I must say that I am regularly jealous of the witty comments from your readers. Especially since I am NOT so witty myself. An inspiring post and that extra strong cup of coffee have apparently short circuited some portion of my brain – temporarily giving me a scintilla of wit!
Chinchilla flotilla – he he! :-)

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

There was that sequel from Harper Lee, “To Kill a Flotilla”. Wasn’t as good as the original, though.

Posted by HaroldW | Report as abusive

From afar, everybody thinks this job looks great, Sixty. But don’t forget the long hours on the road, the cheap motels, the staff problems, budget cuts, endless meetings. It all takes its toll.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Scintilla! Chinhilla! Damn, I didn’t milk that one nearly enough!

Face it, I screwed up the whole megillah!

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

If the boats are carrying insurgents to the North-East of Cuba, would it be the Antilla guerrilla flotilla?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

I can’t believe that no-one wants to use the latest browser technology to have this conversation – surely this would be a mozilla flotilla?

Posted by Tim65 | Report as abusive

Sure Spinster, like you really went to high school. Stop putting on airs for the other readers.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I am on this one with you, Mr. Pilot.. Lets rest our bummy bum bums on a nice quite bench away from these limerick-singing flottilians….

Yes, but at age 14? Still, I admire you for persisting.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

You bring the popcorn and I will bring the Vodka Shra, it’s turning out to be quite a show!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

If they were carrying lace scarves and sherry to Spain, it would be the Sevilla Mantilla Manzanilla flotilla.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

I’m going to keep doing this until I get a donut with extra Lithium!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

If it were sailing to Cinderella’s stepsister’s country house in Far Far Away, it could be the Drusilla Villa flotilla.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

All this rhyming is making me ill-a.

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

I’m a little bit grumpy that most of the double LL’s in Welsh are at teh beginning of words, otherwise I could be pun-tastic in this story. :(

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I’m a little bit grumpy that most of the double LL’s in Welsh are at the beginning of words, otherwise I could be pun-tastic in this story. :(

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Wild life specialist in the southwestern united states have recorded an unusual event migrating northwards with small tough animals that curl up in a fetal shape when attacked….dare i say it is a Armadilla Flotilla

Posted by ochoo | Report as abusive

Done, Mr. Pilot!
Slick, so are we… you are welcome to join us on the bench…
CG, dont bother… come and sit with us and dont rack your brains anymore…

I hate to say this, but I stayed at the Hotel Bobadilla to see the flotilla/regatta while in Grenada. It was the Bobadilla Flotilla/Grenada Regatta. Maybe we could have an OE convention at the Bobadilla. Let me know. Will we see ya at the Bobadilla? It’s a great place to enjoy the motion of the ocean.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Which Grenada are you talking about, Doc? I’ve been to two of them. One for the Alhambra, the other for the U.S. invasion…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

http://www.barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/en- GB/Hotels/Spain/Granada/LaBobadilla/Home .htm

Oops, it’s Granada. My bad. That’s what happens when I haven’t finished my coffee. Until I’ve finished my second cup, my brain is remote-controlled by a fly.

Or we could rent a Cabana in Havanna.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

What ever happened to those funny little lead ins to joining the oddly enough blog network?

Ya know like “Do your civic duty, join the oddly enough blog network” or “I promise to stop stalking you if you join the oddly enough blog network”.

Or “Get a free lifesize cutout of Mr. B. by joining the oddly enough blog network!”

I kinda miss those.

Pass the vodka around… it’s straight killa. Flotilla.

There, I did my part. Where’s the popcorn?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

You mean like the one on this posting?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Spinster, the Times always copies me. But more to the point, why would you even go to their site? You can get all the news you need from this blog. It’s one-stop shopping!

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Basler, quit being so darn possessive….
Mr. Pilot, the box is right next to you…
Spin… NY times any better than BBC? I think… NOT…

I’m still waiting for the additional upper body strength I was promised for joining the OE Network.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Theater reviews. Hmmmmmm. I don’t like to leave my house. Would I actually need to SEE the plays before I review them?
I mean, you do remember my well-received Addams Family review, right? http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/04/12/founding-father-lurches-onto-br oadway/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I wish everybody in the world was like you, Spinster…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Ha ha I knew my previous comment would not make it up here. Alas.. there does seem to be a limit to the family-oriented blog.

But hey, can’t blame a guy for trying to point out a broken promise! :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

What are you on about, Pilot? I haven’t rejected any comments from you today, and there’s nothing but a couple dozen of Unca’s comments in the spam filter.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I made a comment in response to Docs comment but it did not appear. I searched elsewhere to see if I accidently posted it somewhere else (not like that has ever happened before :::cough cough:::) but nope, it’s not where to be found.

So I am not honey roasted this time.

Perhaps it’s because the spam filters only accept mesurements in metric. Who knows. It’s ok though Mr. B., I still think you are a swell guy. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I know that I am a relative newcomer to the commenting game, but how can this post not be the most commented on?
Can we get a Nutella Flotilla? I know, it was a lame attempt!!!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Jibberish, it is very close to being the most commented on – just a few more lame comments and it will be number one. The whole megillah flotilla….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I mean, the boxers in their briefs was an entertaining post, especially with the innuendo and what not in the comments section. But seriously, this is the most entertaining stuff ever.
If you were a microbiologist, you could deploy a flagella flotilla that would wipe those boxers out!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Oooh, and when I was in school, we had a basketball coach named Fraschilla. We could have called his team the Fraschilla Flotilla!!!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Jibberish!! Now that is NOT very nice… we have very few male models to oogle at!!! Unless, Mr.Pilot sends his pics out ;)

Shra, as a great singer once said, I don’t think they’re reeeeeeady for this jeeeeelly. :p

The Italians use the code name Barilla Flotilla!

How was that? Jibberish… come crack open a cold one and have some doughnuts with us. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

U know I love jelly… :D

I see Prince Charles’s wife contracted a nasty illness from plain-flavoured ice-cream during the event. It was Camilla’s vanilla bacilla flotilla.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

Mercy sakes alive – looks like we got ourselves an envoy!
10-4

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Thanks for the invite Mr. Pilot, but it’s a long flight. But seriously, Barilla – that’s good! :)
Sorry Shra, I only did it so that we could push this entry to the top of the most commented list!!!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Well you did it, Jib, and congrats. Of course, I’d rather see the Basler BT-67 item at the top – better for my other business.
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/05/11/flying-high-with-my-secret-care er/

And I

Oh I know all about long flights Jibberish, it’s the reason I am in constant trouble with a certain female commenter here.

Well, in any case I do not believe anyone would object to saving you a spot on the OE bench. :)

Oh and Mr. B., in regards to your other business, when you said the BT-67 would come with brakes, you coulda told me before hand that “brakes” meant I would have to hang out the window holding a lifesize cutout of J-Lo’s butt to created drag.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

And that particular female commentator would actually continue to do so, until you actually get your derriere on a plane to get to the other side of the pond!

Shra, is there an attraction to pilots in general, or have you seen photos of said pilot? I am, of course, taking the liberty to assume iflydaplanes is in fact a pilot!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Jibberish, how do I put this diplomatically without hurting Mr.Pilot’s feelings?
I like guys in uniform…and really any guy who is easy on the eyes… and does something other than the usual…
So, really I would rally behind all those good looking, easy going pilots/adventure sportsmen/archaelogists/marine biologists/zookeepers… and the likes.. :)
Not that I would leave any other easy going, pleasing-to-the-eye kinda guy even if he does my kinda job… ;)

Well, I’ll admit that there is something to a uniform. Especially when it’s worn well.
I wanted desperately to be a marine biologist as a child. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, I discovered that math came easily to me AND that I actually enjoyed it. So, here I am as a boring Engineer. :)
So, back to vanilla of my day job!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Thats probably the reason BG has so many of us… people with boring jobs who push his blog commentator numbers up and that increases his ratings…
That we are socialising through his blog is a reward really… :P

Yes Jibberish, I am a certified pilot and hold a degree in aviation science. I currently work in a bank. Things don’t always work out as planned.

My sister holds a degree in marine biology. She currently works as an office administrator in a vetinary office.

Why are you worried about hurting my feelings Shra?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

JB, now you know why I ask Mr.Pilot to fly to the other side of the pond?
I aint worried at all.. :P

Oh man, not another one