Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Flying high with my secret career…

May 11, 2010

basler plane use this 490

The crew of a Basler BT-67 fixed wing aircraft releases oil dispersant over an oil discharge from the mobile offshore drilling unit, Deepwater Horizon, off the shore of Louisiana, in this May 5, 2010 photograph. REUTERS/Stephen Lehmann/U.S. Coast Guard/handout

Blog Guy! You won’t BELIEVE what I just saw! There was a picture of an airplane helping clean up after that oil accident in Louisiana, and the caption said it was a….

I know, it would have been a Basler BT-67. I make ‘em in my spare time. Check out my Website.

That’s awesome! Tell me about the Basler BT-67.

It’s a lot like the Basler BT-66, but this model will actually take off.

basler home page grab 340 thisHey, if you’re really making these planes, then let’s just see if you can answer some of the questions on your FAQ:  Why isn’t the BT-67 pressurized?

I’m just one guy. It’s lucky to have wings.

Very interesting. Let’s try another one from your FAQ: What about fatigue?

I eat jelly doughnuts all day long and nap frequently. Fatigue is no problem.

Wow! You really ARE that guy!

Comments

Mr.Pilot is gonna be your devoted reader, all his life now….

Kewl pic, Baz. Thanks. Kinda cubist impressionism. I suspected BG had some aviation spirits in him (washing down the doughnuts w/100LL, I presume).

Can I ask a technical question about your plane? How many times do you have to spin the prop to wind up the rubber bands?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

@RB: LOLzzz good one ! :D :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

And if you can come up with jet packs, you’ll have a long, VERY LONG list of followers…

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

You know Blog Guy, you look very young for your age. Unless you started your own flight company at a very young age!
Basler Flight Service has been operating at OSH since 1957. A lot has changed in the aviation industry in the last 53 years. But the important things have remained the same: the best service at the lowest prices. And that’s what you’ll always find at Basler.

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Baz, could you build me a helicopter? Please? Pretty please? Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top? Pretty pretty please with a cherry AND sprinkles on top?

What’s that? No, you say?

Well how ’bout posting a picture of a helicopter then. For lil’ ole me?

Please? Pretty please?

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I like the color scheme you’ve chosen. The safety orange really says ‘steer clear’!
From the picture, this model may take off but not by much… Maybe the BT-68 will be able to get out of ground effect! Can’t wait to see what the BT-69 will do!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

“Get an extra bag of peanuts on every flight, join the Oddly Enough blog network!”

Yeah, you think it’s funny the BT-66 didn’t take off huh? Would have been nice to let me know that before you let me test fly it!

Although the improvement in the BT-67 where the replaced the hamsters with gerbils really boosted power!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ifly, I heard there were more problems with airspeed with the BT-67 than you could shake a stick at!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Don’t worry, the Basler BT-68 will be much better, and may even have brakes….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Jibberish, regarding your point about my age, I didn’t START the company! My grandmother did. It began as you say in 1957, as Grandma Basler’s Airplane Factory and Doughnut Shop….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

They called the drilling rig “Deepwater Horizon” ? Lucky it floated so long…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I like jelly doughnuts and napping. Can I come work for you Blog Guy?

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

Airspeed being a relative term Doc. You see, the actual “take-off” of the BT-67 was accomplished through being towed behind a C150. The gerbils were installed just to make the props spin giving it that authentic airplane look.

In all seriousness though… a turbo-prop DC-3… now that’s pretty bad-ass!!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Hope you get a cut of the profits!

Posted by vwgal | Report as abusive

I’m a man but thinking from feminine view point..Some girls here might hope every man could own a sweet Basler-69.. he he

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Mmmmmm, doughnuts. I LOVE doughnuts! Did Grandma Basler serve them hot like Krispy Kreme?

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

fwd, I think Spin would have something to say about that…
Jibberish… doesnt matter what grandma did… what matters is what Basler does…

Imagine what the world would be like if we all made our decisions based on the motto: “What would Bob do?” Shra.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

I think more important than what Bob would do is what Brian Boitano would do!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

hehe :P

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Nurse, I am sure we would all need you to help sort us out, if we all took that path…

Yeah… with extra sprinkles…. verrrrrrrrrry important!

“Aeroplane”..how very posh!

The BT-69 model is equipped to ONLY disperse anti-depressants.

Little known secret though is that it can be modified to disperse sprinkles also.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Man Blog Guy! This one has a long way to go before it surpasses the Vanilla Root Beer Flotilla piece!
But, @Shra, of course it matters what Grandma Basler did. Everyone knows that a boy learns stuff from his grandma. Especially in Wisconsin!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Jibberish…. I aint from Wisconsin… I havent even ever been to Americano!
So,you would need to be a bit more specific with what exactly does a kid learn from his/her Grandma, if they come from Wisconsin…. :D

Mostly I’m just making stuff up. I learned from my Grandma, that cigarettes made me cough (didn’t stop me from picking up smoking as a teenager – but fortunately I stopped) and that despite the fact that she drank them, whiskey sours really don’t taste good to a 13 year old.
My other grandma taught me how to make apple pie and cinnamon rolls!
I can’t help you with the Wisconsin part other than to say it gets really cold up there in the winter!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Blog Guy, at 4,5 million dollars each, building two of these Basler BT-67s a year should make for quite a nice salary. Why are you so dedicated to bringing us lowly readers the “news” since it probably pays peanuts compared to your Baslo Turbo Conversions company?

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Good to hear you dont smoke JB…. smoking is not good!!
I started drinking when I was 24… so, no wouldnt dream of me grandma teaching me that… :P:P
Cooking is gooooooooooood! You should team up with E… oh I can just imagine the feast… (slurp slurp)

Jibb, that’s a fair question, but you don’t fully understand the business model. Yes, as my Website says, I get $4.5 million for each Basler BT-67, but it costs me $6.2 million per plane in materials, so I don’t seem to be raking in the profits like I expected.

Eventually I hope to make it up in volume, but until then I have to keep blogging to make ends meet.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Man Blog Guy, you must have absolutely zero tax liability with those kind of losses! :D
Perhaps if you went without the brakes, as Ifly suggested, you could improve your bottom line (since life size cutouts of J-Lo’s bottom are probably not too expensive at Kinko’s).
Shra, just last night, I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies, though I ran out of chocolate chips. :(

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

E, JB is talking about choco chips… LOL!!!!

So, Shra, Egeria, do you guys have the inside scoop on choco chips?

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

I dont… E does… I hope I get to bake someday… not that there is anything stopping me… its just that I know if I mess it up… I would have to eat that stuff myself.. provided it is not so bad, that I have to dump all of it…

Blog Guy, you’ve got to help us out here. We’re trying to bump your business up to the top of the most commented list, but we’ve been reduced to talking about chocolate chips here. Can you give us a little more background on Grandma Basler? Or this BT-69 that is causing all the murmurs?

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Shra, the bad part about being able to bake, and enjoying it, is that losing a few pounds after a long winter becomes very challenging! :)

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Thanks Jibb, I’d love to see this one take on a life of its own and move to the top. It would be a good selling point for the Basler BT-67, so I could sell more of them and lose even more money.

I’m thinking it’s time to cut back on materials. I agree brakes aren’t necessary, and having TWO wings seems way too generous.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

And wheels! I mean, you don’t really need those while you’re flying. They just add weight.

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Oh. Er, I eliminated the wheels a long time ago. But I bet I could stop painting them. It takes a lot of paint to cover all that rust.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

How about now flying them at all? And make them ground show pieces???

Yeah, what Shra said. Your customers could buy a bunch, sans engines, wheels, paint, etc., and bury them nose first in a giant cornfield in Nebraska. Sort of like a cross between Cadillac Ranch on I-40, just outside of Amarillo, and the baseball field from “Field of Dreams”! Maybe Kevin Costner could MC the opening!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Blog guy, I have trouble managing my time. Just out of curiosity, how do you make time in the day to write this outstanding blog, make BT-67s, and nap?

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

What a very nice thing to say. The trick is to know where you can cut corners. I never compromise on my blogging or napping, but I do take a LOT of shortcuts in making my BT-67s…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Needs…one…more…comment! ;)

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Perhaps a jelly doughnut, infused with vodka, and sprinkled with carefully selected medications would help in my time management.

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Needs one more comment for what JB? Yeah I know… I am actually passing time… not!

It needs one more comment so that it can be closer to the top of the list. Now that I’ve gone and stuck my foot in my mouth, I have to kiss up to Blog Guy to atone! ;)
Plus, like you, I am passing time until the next OE post rolls out!
Hey, I am having trouble finding you guys on FB. Any clues as to which of the 10,000+ fans, you, Ifly, E, Unca, etc., might be? I’ll just have to keep looking!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

While you’re passing the time, maybe you’d like to order one of my planes?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive