Make way for the Montreal Dumbasses!

May 13, 2010

montreal shoes 490

“Yo, Lamar! Our team just won a hockey game! Let’s celebrate!”

“I have an idea, Lonnie, let’s be total dumbasses and loot a liquor store!”

NHL“That’s a GREAT idea, Lamar!

After all, there was no way we could have anticipated that we’d win, and actually bought some booze in advance.”

“True enough, Lonnie! Besides, we’re WAY too stupid to have jobs, so since we couldn’t have bought our own booze anyway, we have every right to steal it from this shop!”

“Say, you know the only problem with being a dumbass, Lamar?

This shattered glass from the window is cutting into my shoes and my feet are bleeding…”

“No problem, Lonnie! Next, let’s go loot a SHOE STORE!”

“Brilliant, Lamar! That’s why you’re the brains of this outfit!”

Montreal slideshow

Top: A shoe store is looted after hockey fans celebrating the Montreal Canadiens victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins, turned violent in downtown Montreal, May 12, 2010.

Left: A liquor store is looted in downtown Montreal, May 12, 2010.

REUTERS photos by Shaun Best

“Just say NO to Celine Dion, join the Oddly Enough blog network!”

Wow… Montreal beat Pittsburgh. That really sucks for Sidney Crosby. And I guess the rest of the team too.

Shra, no looting shoe stores!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

You can tell they’re French – they trash a liquor store and only steal bottles of red wine.
I note that he dropped one – it was probably a bad year. They may be looters, but that’s no excuse for not having standards.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

I think it’s just Lamar’s idea of puckish humor.

Posted by HaroldW | Report as abusive

What’s the French word for Dumbass? Le Dumbass? Only city I know of where swat teams are stationed all over the city after hockey games. Like “woo hoo we won, let’s trash our city” or “aww man we lost, let’s trash our city”. Doesn’t even matter.

Posted by JohnZNYC | Report as abusive

Bad Shra for looting the shoe store! No doughnut for you!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Just goes to show how “civil” the west really is… sad :-|

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Sorry, I thought that was the Christian Louboutin outlet store in the photo!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

I’ve never tried looting. It strikes me that people don’t usually make good acquisition choices in their looting though, I’m sure I’d be more efficient.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@69Spinster, well it does so happen that Shra likes to take walks through the part so a nice sneaker to help cushion her foot would be a wise choice.

Otherwise yes she does have standards that exceed the average looter.

@fwd079, not for anything buddy… how seriously is football (what we call soccer here) taken over there on the flip side of the pond. Hmmmm??? Gets pretty wild doesn’t it? lol :p

The Canadians love their hockey, right E?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

If they had broken into a museum of medieval instruments would they have been lute looters? It kind of makes you think.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Ah, come on, surely we’ve all done a mental supermarket sweep at some point.

Yay, Pittsburgh Penguins, cool name. :)

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Exactly, Spinster. And had they gone to the Owl section of the Montreal Bird Sanctuary, they could have had a hoot loot.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

And that’s not even to mention video gamers having a woot loot….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

If they were druids they could have a loot moot to distribute to goods.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

This is getting more serious than we thought as new details emerge. Turns out a local restaurant has reported Hooters looters, and a veterinary clinic had at least one neuter looter.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Yes, then they all got arrested and sent to jail so it became a moot loot.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

hooter looters….oh damn rcbasler is a genius.

Posted by thothy | Report as abusive

@Ifly: “West” includes Eu and Americas buddy.

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What’s this with me and looting, eh?? Is this a smear campaign!! I zee protest strongly!!
And no, even if it was a Jimmy Choo store being looted, I would be a ideal citizen and call the police… and then make the management give me a reward, in the shape of a pair of my favourite sandals…!! So, there, every one is happy, except the looters of course….
Mr.Pilot, I do have a pair of comfy sneakers I am wearing just now… I have the policy, “need not, want not”….
Its a completely different issue that though I may not NEED the Jimmy Choos, I definitely WANT them! :)

Weeeelllll all I can say is Montreal is a different place altogether. This isn’t the first time hockey has caused riots over there. It’s kinda old news to this Canadian.

And anyway, I’m a Western gal, born and bred near the Rocky Mountains. We’re more decorous over there and wouldn’t dream of looting or rioting over a hockey game.

Having said all that…

Go Flames Go!!

:D
E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

@fwd079..does it? hmm..being a yank usually when someone refers to the “west” from ova on da east siiide (big ups Biggie!) they usually mean us. Given your reference though I stand corrected! Forgive me? :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Notes to self … do not attend hockey games in Montreal, and wear comfortable shoes.

If the armed store owner was there, would he be a looter shooter?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Unless he was too astute to shoot!

Posted by Gwai | Report as abusive

I think in French Canada these days they don’t refer to it as ‘looting’, they refer to it as ‘shopping’.
And if they acquire some prunes, it is a toot fruit loot.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive