Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Robin O’Hood, and Little John, the Leprechaun?

May 17, 2010

robin hood still 4 490

Blog Guy, I read that the actor Russell Crowe  stormed out of a radio interview after suggestions that he had made the quintessentially British legend Robin Hood sound Irish in his latest movie.

robin hood still this 300Yes. A BBC reporter said his impression from Crowe’s performance was that “Robin Hood was an Irishman who took frequent holidays in Australia.”

Well so, as someone with a fine ear for dialects and accents, do you think Crowe sounds Irish in the role, or not?

It’s not that simple. Considering Robin’s dialogue in the script, it would be very hard NOT to sound a bit Irish:

ceral box 160

Sheriff of Nottingham: Robin Hood, you are accused of stealing from the rich to give to the poor!

Robin Hood: When Irish eyes are smiling, sure, they steal your heart away…

Sheriff of Nottingham: I’ve ordered my men to search your camp!

Robin Hood: They’re always after me Lucky Charms!

Sheriff of Nottingham: Are you giving me a song and dance?

Robin Hood: Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Lura…

Wow, I can see what you mean, Blog Guy. So what do you think?

You don’t have to take my word for it. Here’s a clip from the new movie. Judge for yourself.

Russell Crowe in scene from “Robin Hood.” REUTERS/Universal Pictures

Box of Lucky Charms cereal

Comments

I don’t have much of an ear for dialect, but Crowe bears a little resemblance to Lucky the Leprechaun, don’t you think?

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Well, I did get myself an Irish Lucky charm…. guess that worked seeing how I

… almost escaped the volcanic ash cloud!! :P

Do tell Shra!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Baz….mmmmmmwah!!

I love you!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Jibberish…. you really wanna know?
Well, ok then….
I bought myself a lucky charm from teh “souvenir” shop and thought nothing about it becoz it was a “souvenir”…
Then I met E and had those absolutely delicious mouth-watering fudge brownies… Etcetra liked me too, I think! :P
Then when I went to the airport, I saw that the flight to Edin was cancelled! My Irish charm unfolded its charm on the ticket counter and I managed to get a flight to Birmingham instead of Edinburgh… Now, if you open the map of UK, you would think.. “You call that lucky?? Are you on pot?”…. Well, answer to the first one “kinda yes, seeing how there was no other flight to the UK that day esp without me paying anything extra”! and second, “no, I am on Prozac”… well, after I got there, there were news that UK airspace was now closed in both Birmingham and Edinburgh… “lucky”? You betcha!!!
I got a train to Edin, which was “luckily”a no-change one… I would have starved if E had “luckily” not given me some fudge brownies…. I reached home at 11, very tired… So, there, aint that “lucky”??

Wow, that is quite the charming tale! Fudge brownies are mouth watering. Stupid volcano! :)

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Shra, Franky comes to mind with that “ain’t I lucky” comment… Lucky, she calls me…

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Hmmmm, I guess I see the resemblance to Cap’n Crunch!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Shra, I am so glad my brownies saved you from starvation on the train!!! I’m glad you got home safely, crazy tale to tell your grandkids eh!!

And I could tell Etcetera liked you. He sat his big butt on your bag remember? That’s a classic sign!

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

He he he!! Yup… that he did… there Jibberish, need more examples of being “lucky”? :)

Thanks you guys! :)
Gonna have a wee early night tonight…. I am getting old…

“Get your daily allowance of whole grains by joining the Oddly Enough blog network!”

Does no one remember how Kevin Costner made the quintessentially British legend Robin Hood sound American?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Oh!!! Yes!!! Kevin Costner made the most amazing Robin Hood ever… darn you, Mr.Pilot.. I am day dreaming now!!

Ha ha, you are welcome Shra. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Kevin Costner was in Robin Hood? Oh, I’m sorry I was too busy paying attention (read drooling) over Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham. Yowza!! I’m still in love with him all these years later!

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

He he he… he was quite good too, E… :)

Rickman is fantastic in everything. If you like him, you should see him in “Galaxy Quest,” which is a fun movie anyway.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Kevin Costner was indeed the Prince of Thieves. His nickname in Sherwood Forrest was “Dances in Woods”.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Is it just me, or is that background the exact same one from the battle scene at the start of Gladiator ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

CrowGirl, do you mean all the trees in the background? Ya it kinda does look like the battle in ‘Germania’. Guess Russell Crowe likes fighting in trees!

Baz, I’ve seen pretty much every single one of Alan Rickman’s movies, including An Awfully Big Adventure where I got an awfully big shock at the twist!!

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

They’re the wrong kind of trees for Robin Hood.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Oh yeah? What are you, Nurse, some kind of forester?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Basler, you should know better than to ask… but then you rarely know any better… so, Nurse, guess you gotta tell him anyway….

Beware, beware… no learning, no teaching allowed!! Remember!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Bob knows I’m a forester he was just being provocative.
Unless they had conifer plantations in medieval England then they are the wrong kind of trees.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive