Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Now, arriving on the red carpet is…uh-oh…

May 18, 2010

FILM-CANNES/

Okay, this is SOMEBODY’S  fault, and they’re gonna pay! What went wrong?

I’m SO sorry, Boss! It sounded like a great idea. What a striking sight on the red carpet at Cannes, movie star Naomi Watts, arriving astride the shoulders of a Daphne Burki…

FILM-CANNES/Right. We spent a fortune attaching Naomi’s flashy red stilettos to the shoulders of Daphne Burki’s leather jacket… We made sure those shoes would stay on the jacket, no matter what! Didn’t we?

That’s right, Boss. I’ve got the check list right here, and we triple-tested it. Look here, every single task is checked….

No it’s not. What’s this last thing at the bottom of the second page? I can’t read it.

Uh-oh…..

Well, dammit, what does it say?

Um, it says, “Have Lamar fasten Naomi’s ankle straps BEFORE Daphne goes through the hotel ballroom with the big ceiling fans.” Say, have any of you guys seen Lamar?

Television host Daphne Burki arrives on the red carpet for the screening of the film “You will meet a tall dark stranger” by director Woody Allen at the Cannes Film Festival May 15, 2010.  REUTERS/Christian Hartmann

Comments

Who knew Naomi was so Amazonian? Size 40 shoes?
But really, wearing shoes on your feet is so passe. All the cool kids wear them as shoulder pads nowadays!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Shoessssssssss!!!!!!!!! Red ones!!!!
Mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!
Though they are not really my kind.. I love you anyways Baz! :)

I am truly…baffled….like, head scratching, eyes screwed up and brain melting baffled.

wtf??

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

The Red Shoes is a classic 1940′s movie, based on a Hans Christian Anderson fairytale. I can highly recommend it, if you are tired of the mindless pulp that pass for movies these days.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

Well, fashion has stopped making sense a long time back… So, I am really going to comment on individual items of clothing… or mainly shoes…

“If you don’t know how to dress yourself you are a perfect candidate to join the Oddly Enough blog network!”

Hey all… was out of state for the weekend. Seems I have a bit to catch up on.

I believe the camera-folk in the backround seem to be more interested in the meteor that is about to destroy the earth than Ms. Burkis fashion sense.

Either that or a pretty bird just flew by.

Those stilettos are not your kind Shra? I would be interested to see which are. ;)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Just the design, Mr.Pilot.. just the design… :P

Another classic movie is The Man with the Red Shoe, originally a French comedy later remade in Hollywood…

That still fails to clarify why on earth you’d want to wear your shoes as shoulder pads, especially when they could produce serious punctures should you decide to smash into anything with your shoulders!!!

I guess the medidoughnuts ARE going around a bit too much…

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Size 40 shoes are Amazonian ? It’s a good job I don’t care about being even more giant than Amazonian or I’d have to chainsaw my toes off.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Everyone is commenting on the shoes (Pretty!) I want to know “why the heck are they on her shoulder?”

That’s MY question. I will try to answer myself.

1. She didn’t want to get them dirty?

2. She didn’t want to scuff the soles?

3. Her feet hurt?

4. She didn’t think she could show them off properly if they were on her feet, so she made sure that everyone could see them?

Posted by vwgal | Report as abusive

Wow uncarastus, I’m trying to figure out what your comment of ‘Size 5 (a nice size for gals to wear, + or – a size)’ means exactly. Does that mean anyone with size 7 and above doesn’t get a second look in your book?

Haven’t you ever heard the old saying – never judge a woman by her shoe size?

LMR
(Size 9, Australian)

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

We are like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants,
so that we can see more than they,
and things at a greater distance,
not by virtue of any sharpness of sight on our part,
or any physical distinction,
but because we are aaaaaah!!..
*thump*

So much for timeless wisdom.

Posted by Logrus | Report as abusive

I’m a six and a half unca. Does this mean you don’t like me anymore?

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Unca likes all of us…. regardless of shoe size… I am sure… Say yes, Unca!

In Uncas defense us guys get judged by our shoe size. The thing about the size of a guys feet and all.

Something about being clowns.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

wtf??? :-O

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Welcome to Logrus, and his/her genius comment which made me cackle loudly.

I’m with LMR on the shoe size thing; I’m 6 foot 2. If I had size 5 feet I wouldn’t be able to balance!

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

ifly – I put no stock in that whole ‘size of a guys shoe’ thing. Once dated a guy who had tiny feet, and wasn’t all that tall either. Had no problems with … uh… the rest of him.

He was still a clown though.

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

LMR, did he have big hands at least or is that myth busted also? (gratuitous Mythbusters reference, just for you E! :) )

The way I look at it is when I get nekky as long as the woman doesn’t snicker, outright laugh, go “awww it’s so cute”, or suddenly decide that she needs to sign up for the Oddly Enough blog network at that exact second with no delay then I am good.

And I am a 10 and 1/2 shoe size. I prefer Nikes.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Do you mean those stitches, Unca?

Hands were in proportion to the rest of him.

Myth busted.

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

Very good then LMR.

But now in true Mythbusters fashion we gotta blow something up just for S&Gs……

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ifly, the phrase you really don’t want to hear is “maybe it looks better in natural light…”

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive