Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Opening a big Cannes of publicity?

May 19, 2010

FILM-CANNES/

Blog Guy, since you’re writing a lot about that Cannes Film Festival, I have a question. I believe the top prize there is called the Palme d’Or.  How would you describe that?

FILM-CANNES/I’d have to say it’s prestigious.

Really? It’s interesting that that’s the word you would choose.

You’re not listening. I said, I’d HAVE TO SAY it’s prestigious. Apparently it’s our official adjective for it. Look down below, at the caption for this photo of Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett, taken a week ago.

But surely one photo caption….

No, actually the word is in 817 of our Cannes captions by my count, this week alone.

You’re making that up.

Am not.

Why would they use the same word that many times, Blog Guy?

Well, my personal theory is that Prestigious is part of the actual title of the award’s name, and we just forgot to capitalize it 817 times. It’s the only answer that makes any sense.

FILM-CANNES/

Cast members Russell Crowe (L) and Cate Blanchett pose during a photocall for the film “Robin Hood” at the Cannes Film Festival, May 12, 2010. Nineteen films compete for the prestigious Palme d’Or which will be awarded on May 23. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard

Cast member Juliette Binoche cries as she attends a news conference for the film Copie Conforme (Certified Copy), in competition by director Abbas Kiarostami at the Cannes Film Festival May 18, 2010. Nineteen films are competing for the prestigious Palme d’Or which will be awarded on May 23. REUTERS/Jean-Paul Pelissier

Cast member Lambert Wilson (L) kisses director Xavier Beauvois as they pose during a photocall for the film Des Hommes et des Dieux (Of Gods and Men) in competition at the Cannes Film Festival May 18, 2010. Nineteen films are competing for the prestigious Palme d’Or which will be awarded on May 23. REUTERS/Christian Hartmann

Comments

So many comments…
Madame Binoche looks a little rough in this photo, but I guess crying will do that to a person. Do the judges award extra points for tears? Will they help her win the Palm d’Or?
And what’s with the wings on Cate Blanchett?

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Cate needs the sun…. dontcha think?
I liked Juiliette Binoche in Chocolat… ofcourse that movie also had Johnny Depp in it… (droooooool)
and ofcourse.. Chocolate!!!!

“Become the most prestigious kid on your block by joining the Oddly Enough blog network!”

Juliette Binoche is crying? Oh, I thought she was signaling for another pint.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Shra, I think she’s trying for the new high fashion skin tone of translucent! Or maybe she thinks she can be nude, and nobody will notice those pesky white bars if her skin is the same color!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Kate needs wings in case she has to fly away in a prestigious hurry from Russell O’Crowe.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

Strange how no one has commented on the two men kissing?… Shy, are we? ;)

Shra … OK, I’ll bite. The guys are competing for the prestigious Lips d’Or.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Wow, another pic of Russell Crowe? Yummy!! Thanks, Baz!

Shra, two men kissing? Meh, seen it before (see my note on the Mars blog about that :P)

And um…who is Juliette Binoche? The name rings a bell but I could be thinking about brioche, which is an entirely different thing!

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Ms. Binoche starred in “Chocolat”.
And all you have to do to see two men kissing, other than read “Opening a big Cannes of publicity?” on the OE blog, is to watch “Brokeback Mountain”!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

~Cate is still Cute~

;-)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

That’s Russell Crowe? Getting a little plump around the jowls, isn’t he?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

1. Ifly – you are comedy gold with the singalling for a pint comment.

2. There’s a part of me that kind of likes Cate’s frock, in a “being consumed by a pink Venus Fly Trap plant” kind of way.

3. The men kissing – eh, it just doesn’t look like that great a kiss.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Jazz… he is isnt he? Shame.. but nevertheless, he is eye-candy…
Unca, everyone except me… I really dont need the sun to tan coz I would never be Cate’s colour…

Jazz, he may be plump around the jowls but that smile is too cute for words!!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Russell! Cate! Whatever you do, DO NOT look behind you!

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive