Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Sleeping with Michael Jackson’s stuff?

May 22, 2010

Blog Guy, I need some personal advice from a supportive, caring person. Have you read about that Michael Jackson thing in Japan? You can spend the night of June 25th, the anniversary of his death, actually sleeping amid Jackson’s belongings at an exhibit in Tokyo.

PEOPLE-JACKSON/CORONER

Oh Lord…. No, no, no… Please don’t make me be supportive.

But I’m such a huge Jackson fan! PLEASE say it’s normal to do this!

USA/Okay, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but if you liked him that much, and you have a chance to spend a night in opulence surrounded by his things, I guess…

Not so much with the opulence. We’d be sleeping on the floor.

Oh. Well still, I guess if it’s free….

No, we have to pay up to $1,000 to sleep on the floor.

Yikes. Help me out here. I suppose if you already have a ticket…

I don’t have a ticket. We can start lining up for those a month before the event.

Look, I’m up against the wall. I’m trying not to tell you this is the single most moronic thing I’ve ever heard…

I’m tossing you a lifeline, okay? It’s perfectly normal to stand in line for the possible chance to spend $1,000 to sleep on the floor with a dead guy’s belongings, uh, let’s see, IF you get a nice big gourmet brunch the morning after. How’s that for being supportive?

No brunch. They’re throwing us out at 8 a.m.

YOU DON’T EVEN GET BRUNCH? RUN LIKE THE WIND, CHUMP, RUN LIKE THE WIND!

Pop star Michael Jackson waves to fans as he leaves after the “Premium VIP Party with Michael Jackson” in Tokyo in a 2007 file photo. REUTERS/Kiyoshi Ota/Files

A hat, a pair of glasses and a glove sit on stage at the Michael Jackson public memorial at the Apollo Theater in New York, June 30, 2009. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

Comments

“If you join the Oddly Enough blog network, Mr. B. will let you sleep in his tool shed next to the John Deere then make you Jimmy Deans for breakfast!”

No not chump Mr. B., it’s chimp. It’s name was Bubbles.

Why the hell am I up so early on a Saturday??

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

It’s not early, Pilot. You’re in Edinburgh, remember?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I would swear I just read an article online in Reuters explaining that it’s part of Japanese culture to spend the anniversary of someone’s death with the remains or possessions of the departed. And now here is Reuters mocking that culture – strange.

I’m not saying I would want to do it, but then again, although I’m a fan of Jackson’s, I’m not Japanese.

Posted by TomJoy | Report as abusive

I still believe he was a child predator :-( that’s scary to spend a night with his stuff.. spooky!

Posted by Caglar | Report as abusive

Lets say that there IS a Japanese custom of spending the anniversary of the departed with his/her belongings. Not sure that if I WAS Japanese, a Micheal Jackson fan, had an extra $1,000 laying around, and the time to stand in line, I would participate in this. I am too old to be sleeping on the floor. I’ll pass.

Posted by vwgal | Report as abusive

I am Mr. B.? When did that happen? So you are saying that dream I had last night of being hog-tied and thrown in the hold of a cargo ship was real?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

No, silly, you flew there to see Shra, now do you remember?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Sounds like somebody got hold of some really good doughnuts. ;-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Pick the right doughnut and sleeping on the floor won’t be a problem, of course in ifly’s case it was the doughnut. Every thing will be juuuuust fine. Now will that be white or red sprinkles? The blue are not bad either makes everything look like it has sequenes on it, but the people look like the walking dead saying something like ieeeee heeee…

Posted by ochoo | Report as abusive

I’m willing to fake his belongings, and throw in use of an actual bed, for only 600 a night.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I was convinced he was a pedophile as I knew only what casual knowledge of him in the UK media told me. When his children were first ‘uncovered’ after his death I couldn’t see the damage in them I was expecting – quite the opposite. I work with abused children. So I researched him actively for the first time and now think he was a profoundly pure and decent man, despite addiction brought on by the pressures of fame. If you have never personally researched him, I suggest you do so before judging him. As for sleeping on the floor etc – whatever brings some people comfort. No one is hurt by it.

Posted by Jagreg | Report as abusive

I like blue… so blue sprinkles are always good.

CrowGirl… i am not sure what you mean by “fake” my belongings.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I am disappointed in this article from a newspaper respectable and serious. Please learn to respect each nation and culture in their differences. And contrary to what you suggest, should know that Michael Jackson is one of the most admired and beloved men of this planet. My sons 25 and 42 love it as much as an artist, humanitarian and sensitive man, who deliberately attacked by people like you! Make a reflection of himself before continuing to mistreat him and try him for his truths and untruths inconsequential.

Posted by Darci | Report as abusive

Huh?

Posted by T54 | Report as abusive

Uh-oh, who invited the trolls? Shra, can I borrow that zapper?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

No Dave, you may not… I am the OE zapper and it is my work to zap serious commentators out….
LOL… this whole convo about Mr.Pilot coming to Edin (I wish! :P)is making me laugh…

“My sons 25 and 42 love it as much as an artist, humanitarian and sensitive man, who deliberately attacked by people like you!”

Does that sentance make sense to anyone else cause it does not to me. Perhaps Darci could clarify.

Although refering to Michael Jackson as “it” seems oddly appropriate.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Elvis of today’s genre :)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

This is very common among eastern culture, esp Japanese. Saying it’s creepy and making fun of it and the deceased involved tell us more about your character than the culture you made fun of. PEACE. Michael’s too loved and powerful, some lowlifes feel threatened?

Posted by makavali | Report as abusive

I have to recharge my zapper… I’ll b back for you makavali… hold him/her down, will ya Dave?

@makavali… just a piece of advice. Relax the butt cheeks. There ya go.. nice and easy. Now let the bug crawl out.

There.. dontcha feel better?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Mr.Pilot… I am so glad that the guy who sits across from me has gone home, coz he would have really wondered why I am silently laughing my jaws out..

I will have the M134 ready as soon as I stop laughing at your “Saint of Fallen arches and noses” comment!

That we f*cking hilarious! :D

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Shra, set to stun, not kill, please. Fire at discretion, but keep that thing pointed in the right direction; I don’t want to get caught in the blast by mistake!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

In that case M, you really should watch where you are standing! :D

Whilst I think it is important to welcome new commenters on BG’s blog, and not become a tightly knit clique into which none can ever break in…

I WOULD like to suggest that people who are making snap decisions about the content of this blog should first understand the tongue-in-cheek nature of it before flipping out about BG being culturally insensitive.

I mean, he’s always been supportive of my choice to live in Mt Isa…

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

Thanks for giving me credit, LMR, but ever since the mayor strung barbed wire all around the city limits, I understand you really have no other choice….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

He HAS become quite insistent that I not leave. Something about a ‘Pied Piper’ effect, and that the mining industry can’t afford to lose that many men.

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

I am confused…. you governing the men in the mining industry on Mt.Isa, LMR? I thought you were locked away in a bunker by BG who was letting you out time and again…
there is a SWAT team on the ready if you want help! :)

Not so much governing as luring them with my wit and charm…

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive