Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Children, meet Sarge and his pet snake!

May 27, 2010

Let me say right here, seeing this soldier eat a snake while blood spurts all over his face is not what I find bizarre about this photo.

LEBANON/After all, we’ve seen a lot of that kind of thing, with folks gobbling snakes, frogs, rabbits, even brussels sprouts.

We’ve been toughened up, we can take it.

No, what makes this one special is that the photo caption says this guy is doing it  “as part of a live drill performed in front of students…”

HUH? STUDENTS?

USA/“Students, we have a very special Career Day for you today. so let’s all shake out the wiggles and pay attention.

“Remember last week, Jimmy’s daddy showed us his fire truck, and Emily’s mommy showed us her stethoscope?

“Well today, Lamar’s daddy, who is a soldier, is going to do something with a real live snake. I don’t know what it is, either, so let’s all be really quiet and be surprised.

“Please go ahead and get started, Sergeant. Remember, the children have their lunch in 15 minutes.”

Members of the Lebanese Airborne regiment eat snakes as part of a live drill performed in front of students at a school in Sidon, southern Lebanon May 26, 2010. REUTERS/Ali Hashisho

U.S. first lady Michelle Obama reacts as she greets students at the Lamb Public Charter School in Washington May 4, 2009. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

Comments

I almost puked on my sandwich….

Performed in front of students. Students of what?
I didn’t realise that Ozzy Osbourne had opened a school.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

So quoting Samuel L. Jackson is crossing the line for this blog? But now how is anyone going to know to join the Oddly Enough blog network?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

He’s still wearing digital camo; has he not yet realised that snakes and the whole natural world can hide better with DPM ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

It’s a good thing that the kids saw this 15 minutes BEFORE lunch. 15 min AFTER would have left a huge mess to clean up.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

While I appreciate the courage it must take to tear the head off a live snake, WITH YOUR TEETH, do you really need that skill to be a soldier? Perhaps a gardener, but not a soldier! Wouldn’t it be easier to use your knife, or if it’s a poisonous snake, your gun? But then again, who am I to judge?

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

I know this doesn’t really have anything to do with the snake biting thing, but I just want to put out there that I <3 Michelle Obama. She can do it all – goofy, sweet, tough … she's my kind of First Lady.

Or would be, if I was American.

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

Jibberish, where the blinking flip are you gardening?!

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Ok. So a Lebanese airman (already an oxymoron), is preparing himself to be able to handle what….flying snakes he may encounter off the ground? Hmmmm…There are simply too many things wrong with this picture to actually compute. Go Lebanese Airborne. You are the toughest reptilian eradicating force on…errr….over?? this earth…sheesh.

Posted by onequartlow | Report as abusive

Exactly JB… Stuff like this should NEVER be judged… I wish some of the snakes bit them… would serve them right…

@onequartlow… snakes on a plane is a very real threat! And Samuel L. Jackson is tired of it!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I am currently gardening just south of the north pole. But I have heard of people seeing snakes in their garden. I have yet to see any here though!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

I was planting soybeans today at the farm, and I did see a couple of garden snakes. I didn’t bite their heads off or anything.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Hey, I’m not knocking the snacky tastiness of snakes, I’ve just never before come across the concept that being able to bite the head off one is a pre-requisite for gardening!

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

The pic is so gross, that I feel as if bile is rising up my throat… is that just me?

G-d. ewewewew~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by Calypso | Report as abusive

He looks like goerge lopez

Posted by OkbEMINE | Report as abusive