Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Hi! I guess I’m my new neighbour!

May 28, 2010

BRITAIN/

Blog Guy, we all appreciated your coverage of that recent election over there in Britain, but you never said who won.

BRITAIN/I can’t get bogged down in minor details. Probably that David Cameron guy I wrote about. Yeah, looks like that’s it.

Thank you. So have Prime Minister Cameron and his family moved into Number 10 Downing Street yet?

They sort of moved into it yesterday, but just until work is finished on Number 11 Downing Street, where they will actually live.

What? Number 11? How can that be?

Number 11 is bigger and nicer than Number 10, so several Prime Ministers have chosen to live there.

downing cameron 240Plus, it’s a BRILLIANT security tactic. Think about extremists mounting a full-scale attack on Number 10, and then seeing the Camerons giving them the finger from the windows of the place next door. For all I know, Number 10 may just be a facade.

There’s something not right about that. I mean, Number 10 Downing Street is the most famous address in all of London, right?

Not even close. That would be 221B Baker Street.

Where Sherlock Holmes lived? But that’s just fictional.

So what? A hundred years from now, which of those two names do you think people will still remember?

You mean Sherlock Holmes or ….. Who is that new guy, again?

Movers carry a mattress into 10 Downing street, in central London May 27, 2010. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett

Movers carry a chest of drawers into 10 Downing street. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett

Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron outside 10 Downing Street, May 26, 2010. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth

Comments

And where is his “other half” Cleggs living?

“Location: Oddly Enough blog. Mission: join the Oddly Enough blog network. Dismissed.”

Didn’t I see that Jaguar in “Shaun of the Dead”?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Or maybe in Transporter….

BTW I’ve heard from E via Facebook. She’s busy holding up liquor stores for the next couple of days, but then she’ll be back and commenting…..

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Imma let you finish, but 11 would be across the street not next door. Beyonce live next door….

Posted by KWest | Report as abusive

Go E! Stock is running low over at the doughnut shop.

@69 … good one! :-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

I raiding liquor store after work…
Anyone want anything?

“Raid your own liquor store. Join the Oddly enough blog network”
That sound Ok, Mr.Pilot? :D

Sounds good to me Shra! :)

In the Transporter Statham drove a BMW. Not sure what model though.

E don’t forget the Vodka!!!!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ok I got’s Vodka, Bushmills (10 year old single malt – best whiskey ever!) and Baileys. I nabbed Sambuca, Tequila, Jaegermeister and all kindsa beers for ya’s all. Even managed to grab a bottle of Potcheen!! So grab yer drink of choice and party!

Now if you’ll excuse me, I must dash. If anyone asks you haven’t seen me!!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Newfoundland Screech?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Hold on, Doc. I don’t think in good conscience we can put a bottle of Screech in E’s hands….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Good point, Bob. For the record, I “enjoyed” Screech (And I did!) 20 years ago while visting a colleague in St. John’s. I’m told that the hangover should go away this year.

In my 20s, I was drinking Bushmill’s (out of the bottle) in a train station in Scotland. A Scot told me that I was drinking pig swill.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Baz, now you know I’m just going to want to try this ‘Screech’ stuff. Lucky for me I have a friend who lives in Newfoundland. I’ll get her to send me some.

DoctorDoll, without getting political, I bet a Scotsman would say anything coming out of Northern Ireland is pigswill. I wouldn’t take it too seriously. And I say that with Scottish blood running in my veins.

;)

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Uh-oh. I sense we’re getting dangerously close to a discussion of our favorite single malts, and those can get very passionate….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

E, so true about the old Scot. Maybe I could immitate the way he said it, boot, ih ha mi doots. As for the Screech, after you try it, we’ll try to remember you the way you used to be.

I confess, I am a Scotch man, myself. My favorite single malt is The Glenlivet. But Glenfiddich will do in a pinch.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Doc, as a Scottish person, E may not be familiar with the term Scotch, since to them it’s just whisky.

My favorite is Laphroig, although I certainly do love Ardbeg as well….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Cure alcoholism?

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

For those of you who like Laphroaig, can I also recommend Talisker and Lagavulin ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Thanks, CrowGirl. Just to make clear, I’m not one to EVER turn down an offer of single malt by saying, “no thank you, I don’t care for that variety.”

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Nor would I ever turn down Ardbeg and Laphroig, but I guess I prefer the Speyside malts to the Islay ones. The Speyside ones seem more to evaporate on the tongue.

Mind you, I probably have about one drink a month, so I’m no expert by any means.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Oh gosh, just because I have a favourite doesn’t mean I won’t drink other brands! Heck no!

Oh and Baz, I’m not Scottish per se, I just had an ancestor who was part Scottish. I think it was a grandparent? I’m not entirely certain.

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I think I qualify to be a bit Scottish, eh?
But I do agree with what E said about that NI comment… thats pretty much the case with Britain and Wales too…

E, while you have these very interesting discussions on Scottish ancestry, would you mind passing over the Bushmills? I am sort of choking on that last medidoughnut!!!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

M, help yourself. No better combo than medidoghnuts and alcohol! :D Speaking of which, I think it’s time for my hourly dose.

Shra, do the Scots think any country has anything better than theirs? ;)

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Umm… lemme think…. umm… lemme think harder…. um….
Nope… i dont think so…
Bring on the vodka… :)
M, pass me those blueberry muffins would you please?
Muchas gracias… :)

Er Shra? I thought you were Scottish…?

Found a bottle of Bailey in my stash…that’ll do nicely for the afternoon. Mmmm I just had an idea…get some Baileys ice cream and top it with Baileys!!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

He got married to her just because of her choice of drinks? Blimey, would he have ditched her if she’d ordered Babycham?

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

E, thats what i said… the Scots think they have everything better… at least the people in this town do… :P

Ummm… I like beer?

Sorry, kinda feeling left out here. Not really much of a liquor guy. Judge me as you will. I will roll with a couple of shots of whatever to start the night but after that I am good with a sixer. Pass the bottle opener please.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Doc, I’m with you on the Speyside ones just melting in the mouth, but for me the best whiskeys are the ones where you can taste that when they bottled it, there was a man on a nearby beach burning a pile of seaweed.

Ifly, details man, details! What kind of beer are we talking?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

CrowGirl, that was probably Lamnar. I’ve told him a million times NOT to burn his seaweed on the beach in Scotland, but does he listen?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Any kind of beer CrowGirl! I am partial to Sam Adams myself but am totally up for sampling any and every brand of beer. :)

I will admit though that Guiness and I do not agree.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

You have good taste, Ifly.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I c an tell you that I have tasted a lot of beers and liquors… in the 2 years that I have been drinking…
Vodka is my favourite… rum… tequila shots are painful… whiskey is really an eye-opener and I am ashamed to say that I dont appreciate it much….
I did like the after taste of Guiness though…

I have been trying to find a beer that would agree with me… any suggestions?

Now there is a good girl… folks, we just found ourselves a driver to take us home after a rowdy night!
Lets here it for Spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiin-ster!

I say first OE commentor to win the lotto flies us all to a tropical island where we can finally all party.

Deal?

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Lets go to Jamaica! We can light up a house (with no one inside of course) for all they care! That would be a mighty bonfire!

I like that idea E. :)