It’s all just food to him…

June 8, 2010

PHILIPPINES/

Blog Guy, I just graduated from college and I’m looking for a job. A recruiter sent me a glossy brochure called “The Exciting World of Feeding Giant Reptiles,” and I wondered what you know about opportunities in that field.

croc crop 240Several recent grads have asked me the same thing. I’ve seen that brochure, with the folksy quotes from such legendary reptile feeders as Stumpy, Lefty and Elbow Willie.

While I understand the attraction of being able to put your hand in a blue plastic bucket of raw meat anytime you want, I just can’t recommend this career path.

The thing is, research is still being done on the subject of how far out of the water large crocodiles can leap, and there are indications that many of them have been holding back, if you catch my drift.

Thanks. That’s kind of disappointing, Blog Guy. Any job ideas for me? I majored in Film Studies and Creative Writing.

Is that right? On the other hand, this job does let you work outdoors in the sunshine and be around animals…

Go for the bronze. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

A zoo keeper feeds a crocodile during World Environment Day celebrations at the Malabon Zoo, metro Manila June 4, 2010. REUTERS/Romeo Ranoco

Ooooh, a new job posting! I hadn’t seen that one, BG. It is tempting…
…unfortunately, tempting fate.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Wow, look at those choppers….

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

From the brochure – ‘Once graduating bootcamp, Hell Squad members move into exciting, top-notch professional jobs in exotic locations’.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

I wonder how high he’d jump for a dozen Krispy Kremes?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

“Go for the bronze”? Wow, that’s being a bit ambitious don’t ya think? I would settle for a ribbon of participation.

Forget the crocodiles, do you know many germs and bactieria you would be subjected to sticking your hand in a bucket of raw meat all day? Talk about a hostile work environment!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Look the guy , he is crazy is he being sane one slip ore snare he is mauled and gulped.

Posted by Ismailtaimur | Report as abusive

never do what RB shows in his blogs.. hehe :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Well, I just read a posting for a “Permanent Anesthesia Job”. Am thinking the Death Squad is branching out.

What is between the crowd and the croc? Chicken wire? Glass? How strong do you suppose the enclosure is after the earthquakes and hurricanes they experienced? Can you imagine that sucker getting loose? “Oh, honey, come see what’s in the yard playing with Fifi!” Shra’s death ray on that sucker and she could have a closet full of shoes, boots and matching purses.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Those are custom boot manufacturer reps looking on. They’re just getting a good look at a potential peice of raw material, is all.

Posted by REDruin | Report as abusive

Dude has a bukkit, better not tell Walrus!! :D

“Snap at the chance! Join the Oddly Enough blog Network!”

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Does that guy really not understand that the Croc could very well see his protruding foot as an appetizer?

Of course – that would make an even better picture … “See the one footed guy feed the giant reptile” or “See the giant reptile burp toenails.”

Posted by lceel | Report as abusive

Imagine if he was feeding the croc in the nude! EEYOWW!

@onedoor … Nice! LOL

@E … Good one! ;-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

This pic reminds me of the ending of P.J. Hogan’s version of Peter Pan (the best version, IMHO). Unlike the story, I think that this guy’s left hand is missing, not just hiding behind the bucket. Maybe this is the last thing on his bucket list?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Funny you should mention Peter Pan. You’ll know why in a few days.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Now I’m quivering in my flip-flops.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Hello, nice to meat you.

Posted by Logrus | Report as abusive

Now…. I know I am totally a shoe person…. but I am not keen on seeing this poor hungry croc going whoosh to satisfy my whim….
However,I did think about that glass (could it be ANYTHING ELSE?????) and I am sure those peeps have been drugged with an overdose of medidonuts…. to peer in so close…
Come now, you cant seem to think that that Croc (look at the size of it!!) can be satisfied with one teeny weeny bucket of meat??????

Mr Croc’s jaw is pointed the wrong way to bite his foot off. Just saying. I avoid losing my feet to pigs in this way on a daily basis. No, wait, that’s because I wear steelies. There was a big bitey fight today though, and it turns out pigs can open their mouths this far. :o

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

That smiley was meant to imply startledness that a pig can open its mouth as far as a crocodile can, rather than being a representation of how far a pig could open its mouth. Which would be more :<

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Well, I guess us Aussies just lost our monopoly on stupidity involving crocodiles. Maybe we need to step it up a notch. I’ve heard rumours that Bindi Irwin’s training up an all-singing, all-dancing chorus line of saltwater crocs, with a few freshies thrown in for soprano.

Posted by Wyvie | Report as abusive

Did anyone on this side of the pond watch Channel 4′s Inside the Giant Animals… they disected a Great White…. and they compared it to a crococile….
Not a good bedtime show really….
I had dreams of being chased from a tank to the ocean and back….

Looking at that picture, it seems that the freakishly giant crocodile is still ON THE WAY UP! And, not terribly happy at the morsel he is being offered! ACK!

Posted by vwgal | Report as abusive

One slip or slip up and it’s 2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits, 8 bits, 10 bits….

This could be a movie. Working title: “I Go to Pieces!”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Since we’re discussing dreams, I had a dream about the previous (First Lady Herb) thread. I was trying to rhyme spam with majoram. I woke up laughing. But, then, some of you know this already. You were in my dream.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Spin… the giants cant get to me, even in my dreams.. Its just not me, you see…
I have been rhyming most of my words, after reading the “half-bake lake takes the cake.. what a mistake!” line from the story in Oddly Enough… go figure!

CrowGirl, did you ever see the movie “Snatch”?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

All of us, doc? Was I wearing my jimmy choos? :)

Oh yes, Shra, you were there. In your Jimmy Choos. And that’s all you need to know. You can just ignore the rest of this post, okay?

Hey! Everybody! (Shra! No peeking!) Shra doesn’t remember (Shra? Shra? Shra! ~puts foot down~) anything about the other night! Pass it on. ~giggle~

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Ifly, yes. And I would strenuously deny any suggestion that my boss and I may have discussed the potential costs and benefits of such a sideline.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

But you are aware of the option. And it’s always good to know ones options. :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

You could not pay me enough to do this…

Posted by chrismasters | Report as abusive