Is this even real money?

June 9, 2010

two dollar bill 490

I’ve mentioned here before that the problem with doing a humor blog for a news organization is that people often try to send me news.

YUM-TACOBELL/Normally I just throw it away, but I was intrigued by an e-mail from the folks at Taco Bell. It turns out they are launching a petition to get the Federal Reserve to circulate more $2 bills, in conjunction with the food chain’s “$2 Meal Deal.”

Hell, count me in! What better reason to change federal currency production plans than to support fast food promotions?

jefferson 200For those who have never seen a $2 bill, it’s the one with a cartoonish Thomas Jefferson on it looking like he had WAY too many frozen margaritas and bean burritos the night before.

As long as I can recall, Americans have hated this denomination, even back when you could buy a new automobile with one. But now that there’s a really good reason to bring them back, that’s different.

Dear Federal Reserve, please print some more Taco Bell $2 bills. I could also use some $3.57 bills, so I can buy a Big Mac without waiting for change. You can put Ronald McDonald on ‘em, or else just the Queen of the Entire World.

Oh, and please mention my blog on them, too.

Your friend and satisfied user of your other denominations,

Blog Guy

Top: A $2 bill

Right: An order of nachos is seen on a table at a Taco Bell restaurant in New York in a 2006 file photo. REUTERS/Keith Bedford

I dont know if that is for real… since I was once told by BG that whenever he asks somehting smart, he is really pulling my leg….
Not that calling Thomas “Drunk Dork” Jefferson names is smart… no siirreee… no…
One of your commentators could well be his successor..

Shra, you mean to tell me that not only does James Madison still live, he might also be a commentator on this very blog?
I just have to share that it was very sunny up in the great white north this past weekend! And I think that the Swedish Royal Family should become more regular subjects for BG’s not-the-serious-kind of news!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Next time I have a two-dollar bill, I’ll consider eating at Taco Bell. By then, a three-dollar bill will be required.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Shra, thanks for thinking the politicians here have a sense of humor and might read the blog. I miss cartoons, too.

Is there a chance of Blog Bills coming into circulation? Could they be used for admission to the museum? Will you ever have a tee shirt that simply says “Oddly Enough”? Inquiring mindless want to know.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Nachoes!! Toppings!! Cheese!! Salsa!!

Now I know what I’m having for dinner tonight :D No, we don’t have Taco Bell in Ireland but hell making a plate of Nachos isn’t rocket science!

Can someone call my boss and tell him to let me leave work early?

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I’m going to take my wife out for dinner to our favorite Mexican restaurant tonight.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Taco Hell. Best reason to not support the printing of $2 bills. I’ll bet the real funny part is that the meal may be $2, but by the time you add tax, it’s a bit more, so the whole idea of circulating $2 bills is even stupider, eeerrr.

Donut please?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

“Add your two cents, join the Oddly Enough blog network!”

Taco Bell is delicious. Quite possibly the greatest pseudo-food every created. There is one right down the road from where I work. While I limit myself to having it once.. maybe twice.. a month just knowing it’s there fills me with glee.

Onedoor, do you reside on the west side of the pond also?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Yo Quero $2

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

For my CPO initiation back in the Navy, I had to show up with $99 in sequentially numbered 2 dollar bills for my “court fines”. I ended up having to get my bank to order them special from the federal reserve. Can’t see them getting any more popular anytime soon.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Jazz, this wasn’t a fine for failing to bring them a long weight was it? How can you have $99 in $2 notes?

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

“Hey kid, wanna buy a “special” doughnut? Just $2.”

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Well, I had 49 $2 bills, then cut the last one in half. Of course, I then got 15 minutes in the icebox for “destruction of government property”!

The fine was for daring to show up with my leg in a cast (bicycle vs. car – I came in 2nd). In reality, the ‘fine’ is just paying for the festivities.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by robert basler, darlene mcgraw. darlene mcgraw said: Is this even real money? >>> http://tinyurl.com/2g8p773 [...]

I dunno BG – this might attract the Death Panels’ attention…

Posted by Db8r | Report as abusive

The problem with using a Tom is that, in many states, you have to add a meal tax. :)

Oh, there’s a thread on it now over at the Where’s George? forums.

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Drat! Rice, hot sauce and no black beans in the cupboard. Perhaps this weekend.

@ifly: shhhhh – in VA. They know I lack the Southern accent but they haven’t sent me back to MI or elsewhere just yet. Possible they are working on it.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@Onedoor.. got family in VA. Aunt, Uncle, and my two cousins. All but my one cousin retained their Long Island tongue. My one cousin though became all drawl and “Y’all” this and “Y’all” that. Yeah.. I make fun of her allll the time for that.

Hang tough though. Many northeners are migrating beyond the Mason-Dixon line so you are not alone in not having a southern accent. Band together, be proud of your northern tongues! And always remember.. it’s “You all”! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

During my tenure in Alabama, I learned many useful expressions, such as “Climb down off your Yankee high horse!”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

@ifly: oh, migrated 12 yrs. ago for job. Still say “Hello” to strangers and it confuses or frightens them, I think. Or it could be me…

Position here recently evaporated. It no longer exists but I still see to be here. Said a little prayer for E and was glad she kept her position. One of my neighbors let me know that his boss hired a secretary out of 300 applicants. So when the rest of the northerners arrive, it will be “You all remember your manners and compleeeetely fill out the application.” I will hug everyone one of them that needs it! And give them a donut, too!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@Doc, you made it back from dinner! Knew woman in MI from the south. Her info was that women do NOT sweat in the south. Women glisten. Men perspire. Horses sweat. It is nice here; I simply miss some of my friends and family. Being directionally challenged, MI wasn’t bad. You either drove to a lake or Ohio and if that is not where you wanted to be, you just turned around and went back:)

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

While we’re at it, I’m not a fan of the Monopoly 20.00 dollar bill. Don’t know why…Just think it should get me something than out of jail. Maybe…wink wink…the US treasury will ad a little ol zero on the back end of sir constipated’s despised bill and then he and Lincoln or whoever the hell actually owns that bill…can do some kind of duel! What do ya think? Pretty sure that hasn’t happened in the long history of American Currency. (I get the patent please).

Posted by onequartlow | Report as abusive

Aww One, sorry to hear that! Here’s a biggggg huggg and a chocolaty, sprinkly donut!!! :)
Oh and those are Xanax sprinkles…. I’m sure you will lough them!

Chocolate donut and hug! Shra, you are a goddess!!!!!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Come on, One! Dont make me blush or grin broadly at work… its not allowed! :P

Glad the hug helped… what cant a hug cure I wonder…

@Onedoor…yeah, that’s the nice thing about living on Long Island. If you head west you will eventually hit the city. Otherwise any other direction will bring you to water. The chances of getting completely lost are slim.

Yet I, having been born and raised here, still managed to do that one time. And you say you are directionally challenged. I got lost on an island! :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

One, didn’t go out for dinner. My wife had to work late. The risks of being a public servant. So I made salmon and a green salad and strawberry shortcake. The salad and strawberries came out of the garden.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Salmon is tasty fish! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Doc, having someone nice enough to fix dinner pretty darn nice. You get gold star for that one.

ifly, they probably changed the street signs on you.

Shra, grin when no one is looking!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Ah yes Spinster… my mistake. Y’all, you all, yous guys.

Onedoor… perhaps, but in the air there are no street signs. That has led to a few nagivational embarassements as well.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

“what cant a hug cure I wonder…”

Leprosy ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

LOL! Definitely not the kind BG has, I am sure, CG.. ;)