Lamar, I think that jaguar is following you

June 14, 2010

Blog Guy, I saw a fascinating Reuters story that said biologists tracking jaguars in the Guatemalan jungle wear Calvin Klein’s Obsession for Men because that particular cologne attracts big cats.

obsession bottle 240So wait, you’re reading other stuff aside from my blog at reuters.com?

I’m sorry, just now and then, while I’m waiting for you to post something new. It says they tried out 23 other fragrances but Obsession worked best.  How do you suppose they tested that?

Well, I do have some background in scientific research, and here’s how I’d do it. I’d get 24 amazingly stupid guys to put on the different colognes, shove them into a lion’s den and see who doesn’t come out. That’s probably what they did.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

So tell me, when did you see that story?

A couple of days ago, why do you ask?

JAGUARSOh, my assistant, Lamar, had his birthday yesterday, and he mentioned how happy he was with his wife’s gifts to him.

What did she give him?

A bottle of Obsession and a ticket to the National Zoo.

A jaguar looks from his cage at the Sofia city zoo, January 22, 2005. Temperatures in Bulgaria have reached 10 degrees Celsius over the past few days .

This is an amazing piece of imagination, So here is another marketing gimmick by a known Brand.

Posted by Ismailtaimur | Report as abusive

Ummm….. Wonder what the results for Davidoff Cool Water and Hugo Boss were…. those are my favourite Men’s perfumes… :D

Shra, you don’t need to wonder about those other fragrances. You can duplicate this experiment yourself. Don’t you know any dumb guys? Isn’t there a zoo in Edinburgh?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I know plenty of dumb guys… my office is full of them… however, no carnivores in Edin zoo…. not the kind who would eat the dumb guys quietly without leaving a trace….
And I dont want to be caught…

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Oddly Enough and Cherry Hill Jaguar, CherryHillClassicCar. CherryHillClassicCar said: Lamar, I think that jaguar is following you http://bit.ly/atP5Uc ~gk [...]

Read the article; read the blog. Still trying to wrap my brain around anyone using cologne in the jungle. Wouldn’t a little tuna juice behind the ear have been just as effective?

Will admit to having read the elephant at the trunk in the road bit, too. For a minute there, I thought you were back to reporting, BG.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I just LOVED the look on Jaguar’s face, awesome picture RB, thanks for sharing.

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

“Heeerrreee kitty kitty kitty… come join the Oddly Enough blog network!”

I used to like Jaguars. They were a status symbol. Then Ford got their hands on the them and now.. well, ya might as well get a BMW.

And that caption should read “A jaguar is about to eat your face.”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Crazy stuff!! I just read in the news that some dude got mauled to death by tigers at a wildlife park. Dude actually walked into the cage when a park employee left the door open. I mean Jeeeeeezus who does that?!

Stil. I wonder what cologne he was wearing?

Spinster…Etcetera the II…has a nice ring to it! Although, if I ever did get another cat I’d name it Ditto. Speaking of Etcetera, he had a photo shoot this weekend with a mate who is using him in promotional material for her company. He did well!! So I’m in touch with some animal casting agents.

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

That guy was catfood then….
Wowie!!! E, now you are sure to win that lottery!! :P

About 5 years ago, I think, a mountain lion attacked a hiker in the Sierra Nevada. He killed the beast with his bare hands. I would put that on my resume! And I want whatever cologne the hiker was wearing.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

A candidate for the Darwin Award E! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I think he was wearing the new Off Organic Catnip insect repellent, Doc.

Remind me not to hike the same trails…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Hmmm … the perfect Father’s Day gift for my ex … a bottle of cologne and a special zoo pass …

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

This whole post stinks! ;-)

If Etc becomes famous, can we be part of his entourage?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Cars as status symbols? Oh, yeah. I say, old chap. did you see that flock of pigeons that just flew over? I do believe you have some grey poop on your boot.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Ifly, I once reviewed a part of a film that Knit Nurse had been out of the room for as “Ooh, cat in the face”

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Unca, sure you can join Etcetera’s entourage. You can be the official Cleaner Upper of the Kitty Litter.

Who wants to be his manicurist?

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Uh, oh. Obesssion for Men is the BF’s favorite scent, no joke. Does that make me a big cat?

Well Spin, I guess it could make you a cougar…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

E, I woulda offered… but I can play with him all the time… so, maybe Cat-sitter? :)

Shra, well, I already have an official Cat Sitter…but how about Official Caterer to His Every Whim? (Sure and I know I already do that but I’m sure he wouldn’t mind a second hand at it!)

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Would do would do would do!!! :D

I wear a cologne I received for joining the OE blog Network. It’s called “Three Nights in New Bavaria, Ohio.” When I wear it, stray dogs follow me around….

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I could swear “Three Nights” is just stale beer. It even comes in a half-empty beer bottle.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I volunteer to be part of Etcetras security force! Only cause I look wicked good in a suit and sunglasses, if I do say so myself. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Wow!! E,you got the entire entourage out here!!!
Mr.Pilot, I wouldnt disagree.. ;)

Gooooooood morning OE’rs!!

Wow! This is great! An entire entourage for my cat. I’m sure he’ll be chuffed. Wait…on second thought, he’s a cat. Therefore I’m sure he’ll be ‘meh’.

Now I just need to get him booked on more photoshoots!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Last night, while watering a flower bed along my drive, I overheard my neighbor telling his cat about his childhood. Now, I talk to my dogs: “Who’s the good Frankie? Who’s the good Frankie?” Even “Have you breakfasted, Frankie?” I even tell my dogs I love them. But I don’t say “Frankie, when I was a boy….” Or “Frankie, I’ll be back in 15 minutes.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Ha ha.. that’s the best part about cats E. They seem to have this nonchalance about them. It’s all like “Dude, I’m a cat, what of it?”

Oh..and aside from looking good in a suit and sunglasses, I will provide actual security also. :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I talk to Etcetera all the time…and he’s deaf!! I haven’t told him any childhood stories though, but I do call myself ‘Mommy’ when I’m talking to him.

:P

ifly, I can’t comment on the look but I hope you’re good at the security! Etcetera has many admirers!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Spinster, you have a point. But Etcetera is a pure white blue eyed cat, and genetically they really ARE deaf! Still, I always keep in mind, even if he weren’t he would still ignore me!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

“Right Crow, I’m off to work, you’re in charge for the day. Behave yourself, and don’t answer the phone.” Seems a perfectly valid sort of conversation to me.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

E, Please invite me over when you teach your hearing- impaired kitty about ecomomics during your childhood and predominant economic theory today. Or when you’re teaching Etc. American Sign Language. Can Etc. read lips?

In return, I’ll invite you over when I’m giving my two German Shepherd lads their German lessons. (For the record, they understand both German and English; we’re still working on speaking German.)
________

Doc: Guten Morgen, Herr Frankie. Wie gehts es ihen?
Frankie: [perks up ears, smiles]
Doc: Gut? Ich bin auch gut!
Frankie: [wags tail]
Doc: Was mochten sie? Fruhstuck? Wasser?
Frankie: [walks to water dish]
Wasser? Stimmt so: “W-a-s-s-e-r!”
Frankie: row-row-row-rowwwww.
Doc: Mochten sie bier?
Frankie: [brings bottle opener, bangs tail against table leg with vigorous wagging]
Doc: [pours] Ein Prosit der Gemutlichkeit!
Frankie: [toasts]

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Tune in tomorrow, friends, when the Doctor starts giving his house plants Russian lessons, beginning with a famous “knock, knock” joke. A preview:

Doc: Стук, стук.
Plants:
Doc: Стук, стук.
Plants:
Doc: Стук, стук.
Plants:
Frankie: Oh, for crying out loud, “Who’s there?”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Frankie: I say, old fellow, next time you’re at the shop would you pick up a can of corned beef hash?

Doc: That’s $14.00 a can!

Frankie: You needn’t speak in dog money, old man. I understand greenback.

Doc: Okay, that’s $2.00 a can, then.

Frankie: Well, if it’s too much, then…. I know what a burden I am to you….

Doc: Oh, crimony!

Frankie: I can just eat off the floor, I suppose. Or take on a second job, if that firm of yours doesn’t pay enough. There may be a few piles in the back 40 you haven’t bothered to clean up yet.

Doc: Okay! I’ll get it!

Frankie: And while you’re at it, if it isn’t too much bother, maybe a can of fancy Vienna Sausages…. I have a friend coming over, and it’s so embarrassing….

Doc: Okay.

[uncomfortable silence]

Doc: How was the breakfast? Was it good?

Frankie: It was good.

Doc: I thought it was good.

[uncomfortable silence]

Doc: Happy anniversary, by the way.

Frankie: [exclaiming] Is that today?

Doc: Yesterday. That’s why I gave you the backscratch, and the slipper…

Frankie: I’m sorry. Really, I am.

[very uncomfortable silence]

Frankie: Time flies….

Frankie: Hey. Doc. Knock, knock.

Doc: [sighs]

Frankie: Knock, knock.

Doc: [resignedly] Who’s there?

Frankie: Old lady.

Doc [more resigedly] Old lady who?

Frankie: I say, old fellow, you are really coming along in your dog-speak, but it does rather sound like you’re howling. My friends call you the “Yodeller.” We need to work on that!

Doc: I’m off to the store. Anything else you want?

Frankie: Well, I saw an Eau de Toilette advertised….

Doc: That’s perfume, not a beverage.

Frankie: Oh…. Nevermind, then. But, while we’re on the topic, you really are forgetful about leaving the lid down.

Doc: I’ll work on that. [leaves]

[sounds of nails on floor and dialing of a telephone]

Frankie: Ah, poupée vivant, sil vou plait? What!?! his credit card is over it’s limit again? Bugger!

Fade out; end of scene.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Sorry, “vous” and “its”. It’s Frankie’s fault.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

That was lovely Doc… now… where is the other German Shepherd…. guess he is just hanging his head and ignoring you and Frankie?

Shra, neither Shepherd is named “Frankie,” which is a pseudonym for both Felix and Oscar. I was practicing artistic license by converting two shepherds into one. Now, if I did a comic skit with both Felix and Oscar in it, what could I possibly call it? What could be the theme? Hmmmmm.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

“The Oddly Enough Couple”

Starring:

Felix, as himself: a bossy tricolor German Shepherd with allergies, post-nasal drip, and a cleanliness fetish.

And

Oscar, as himself: a classic black-and-tan German Shepherd and classic slob, whose plans for a good life and good time are constantly foiled by Felix’s allegies and reprimands.

Can these two alpha males live together without driving each other crazy?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Would they Doc? Would they? Not if your alpha mails are anything like those blokes in the blog BG posted over the weekend…. and asked me to see before I hit the sack…
result: nightmares…. (I really did have one… :()

Forgive me… my comp seems to have lost the spell check ability… I meant “males” and not “mails”…

Damn you Doc. I spent most of this weekend struggling to breathe through clouds of allergy, and now you make me cackle until I cough my lungs up. In four languages !

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Awww CG, is it hayfever? My flatmate was suffering from it the other day and gosh, she looked miserable…
which is a pity coz we are having such glorious and HOT days here, if I didnt know better, I woulda thought this was Paris! (Was 35 this time around, last year)

I’m so sorry to hear about your allergies, Crowy. Probably grass dust this time of year. A good home air cleaner can really help, I’m told.

I just take some of Felix’s steroids, but then I have a compulsion to carry a tennis ball around in my mouth. It’s really hard to howl with a ball in your mouth….

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Doc, you really are a cracker… :D

It’s evil house dust, which has been sitting undisturbed for a while. I usually wear a dust mask and a damp scarf around my face for dusting, but it’s been so long since I dusted I forgot. Serves me right really. It’s in a good cause though; I’m tidying and re-arranging for Knit Nurse to move in (with her interesting drug collection!) Thanks for the sympathy. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I don’t know about two OE commenters living under the same roof. I see trouble ahead, and I happen to know that between the two of them, Crow and Knit have the skills to do a LOT of damage….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Yes, BG, be afraid… be very afraid… and when me and E get down to visit them… you will be so petrified that you wouldnt sleep at all…

It’s okay Mr B, we are drawing up rules. Rule 1; no using each other’s sharp things without permission.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

[...] it, Blog Guy, your Lamar is a whack job. The amateur bullfighter? The guy whose wife tried to kill him at a zoo? The guy [...]