Happy Father’s Day to dads everywhere!

June 17, 2010

PAKISTAN/

Welcome back to a regular feature we like to call, “What Year is this Again?” in in which we offer up news items which cause us to question whether we may have gone back in time.

PEOPLE-JACKSON/Here, in a photo I had figured for about 400 BC but which turns out to have been taken just four days ago, this guy is holding his FIVE-MONTH-OLD SON over a crocodile.

Uh-huh, he really is.

I don’t want to spoil any surprises, but the dude is probably a shoo-in for this year’s “Michael Jackson Memorial What were you Thinking, Dad?” award from this blog.

Meanwhile, the caption tells us the man is seeking “blessings” for the baby.

Impress your proctologist. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

A Sheedi devotee seeks blessings for his five-month-old son while holding him over a crocodile during the crocodile festival at the Manghopir shrine in Karachi, Pakistan, June 13, 2010. REUTERS/Athar Hussain

Singer Michael Jackson holds a child out of a window as he looks at fans after arriving at a Berlin hotel, in a 2002 file photo. REUTERS/Tobias Schwarz/Files

Ok.. I was actually gaping at that pic for like 5 mins, till I realised I was gaping…
Is that guy mental??
Isnt he scared to actually see a croc open its mouth? Hasnt he noticed the second croc coming up?
Does he realise that crocs can walk on land too?
Does he realise he is actually in the water?

Does anyone realise that the babe is literally crying his LUNGS OUT!!!!!
OK, chuck this into the list of things I am NOT happy about today….

Look at those choppers!

Shra, I assume all those questions are rhetorical. After all, when seeking “blessings” anything goes.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

“Impress your Dad!! Join the Oddly Enough blog network!”

Why, oh why isn’t there such a thing as a License to Breed? I mean really, we already license who can drive. We regulate who can drink, who can smoke, who can vote…why not impose an international Breeding License?

That’s it. I’m starting a Facebook petition!! Who wants to join?!

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Oh E, you stole Mr. Ifly’s thunder! :-)

I am with you on the license to breed. There should be a requirement!!!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Count me in…. I would get you 25 more people who would sign that petition…

Impress you proctologist? My proc doc is a hard man to impress. Says things like, “Show ‘em if you got ‘em!” This Dad is certainly showing his.

E … sign me up! Do I have to take a test or anything? ;-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Why does the “father” appear to have blood on his shoulder?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Thats not blood (I sure hope so) Doc… its the vermillion powder that is used in religious ceremonies…

Thanks, Shra. Glad to hear it.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Now everybody blamed his old man.
For makin him mean as a snake.
When Amos Moses was a boy his Daddy would use him for alligator bait.
Tie a rope around his waist and throw him in the swamp.
Alligator bait in the Lousisana Bayou.

– Jerry Reed, From “Amos Moses”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Oh, dis member and dat member. We put the “fun” in dysfunctional! And if my parents had been licensed there is a distinct possibilty that I – well you can figure it out… ONLY JOKING!!! Not their fault I became the way I am:)

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

You amaze me Doc…. where does all this poetry come from?
I couldnt remember a single poem for the life of me!

Did someone say chuck? As in Chuck Norris?

Chuck Norris walked barefoot into a pond full of vicious crocodiles. He emgerged on the other side wearing a new pair of crocodile skin boots.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

You very well know who said Chuck…
I am not much of a skin person… dont like animal skin on anything I wear… and no, I dont like fur either…
And yes, my leather boots are faux leather…
Welcome back, Mr.Pilot.. trust you are feeling ok to be back on the OE bandwagon… which is presently heading to sign E’s FB petition?

Would that be a “license to drill”? Or a “license to fill”?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I am completely outraged by this photo. I mean….do you SEE how polluted the water is?

Posted by justK | Report as abusive

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by robert basler, Oddly Enough and MJ News, eBusiness BPO Inc.. eBusiness BPO Inc. said: Happy Father’s Day to dads everywhere! http://bit.ly/beoBoC [...]

It’s OK, I think this is a scene from the new Indian reality series “So! You want to be Steve Irwin!”. In later episodes contestants will have to:
Bite the heads of snakes and drink the blood
Run through a wildlife reserve while doused in ‘Obsession’
And, most dangerously of all, deliberately short-change New York City cab drivers by at least 20% of the fare.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

Thank you Spinster, Shra… I miss you guys too. I came down with a bit of a cold so of course I quarentined myself in my room, curled up into the fetal position, and prayed to the NyQuil gods to please please let it all be over soon!

As is the natural behavior for one who is feeling a bit under the weather yes?

I will most certainly have to check out E’s petition. Leaving it up to those candidates for the Darwin awards is not enough.

Doc.. that was pretty funny. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

So, it that the famed ‘Crocodile Rock’ the guy is standing on?
I wonder if he knows that a crocodile can actually outrun a person over a short distance.
Or are we misunderstanding the situation here? Maybe it’s more like that old painting “The Sleigh Ride”?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

So THAT’S what was in the bucket we saw in the crocodile post (It’s all just food to him …) :-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

[...] original here: Happy Father's Day to dads everywhere! | Analysis & Opinion | Save Money On Tickets at Ticket Master Use Code ticket5 At Checkout For 5% Off! Click [...]

Was it St. Patrick’s Day in Pakistan?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I’m glad to know that’s proably vermillion powder, i too was wondering if he’d already been nibbled by Mr Croc. But Shra, that counts as teaching, you need to tase yourself !

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Damn CrowGirl, that’s harsh! It’s little Shra, one of our own, and she was helpfully answering a question…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I guess he is just a Sheedi father.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

BG,am I? Am I the youngest of the lot?:D
CG…I could have… but you see my taser refuses to zap me… it just wont… and it wont let anyone else zap me either…:D How convenient…tee heehee…

Doc, I don’t think they intentionally dyed the river. The guy is holding a wee one, but not a leprechaun! And if the crocs get closer and he isn’t careful, he could lose his lucky charms. One way of taking care of that Breeding License issue:)

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@Billl – Nicely done sir.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

If the dad and kid get eaten well its evolution at work. He would be considered an unfit example of the species and not alive to reproduce again. You can’t protect stupid people from themselves.

Posted by k3rm1t | Report as abusive

But St. Pats would explain so many things: the green water, the father’s obvious state of out-of-your-frickin’-mind drunkenness in the morning, etc.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Doc, I know we Irish had a reputation for…excess…but I don’t think we’d go so far as the dude in this picture. I’m pretty sure no one even gets out of bed the day after Paddy’s Day, much less gets dressed and goes out to dangle the kids over crocs.

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Thank you Dave!

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

E, I’m thinking about people in the US, who are not necessarily Irish, who start St. Pat’s day at 6:00 a.m. (or earlier) in a bar drinking — Ack! — green beer. Who celebrates St. Pats in the US? Irish Americans, Irish, and those who wish they were Irish.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Doc, those who want to drink beer at 6:00 a.m. will grasp any reason to do so. Not everyone gets wasted on St. Pat’s Day. Hide the barman’s dye and get a Guinness instead! At 6:00 p.m. Though I confess I am guilty of providing a local bartender with green food coloring…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

E, Americans do drunken crazy s**t with their children every day, maybe not with crocs, but crazy shit nonetheless. You’re probably right, One, but in the US on St. Patrick’s day, those who privately get trashed at home in the a.m. come out into the light of day, where taxpayers have to ante up to have extra police officers on duty in the a.m.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

[...] fathers day jokes, fathers day poems from daughter, fathers day messages … Father's Day didFathers Day Poems From Daughter – Poem Images For Myspace – Poem … Related searches: fathers day poems, fathers day quotes from [...]

Ok now… calm down everybody…. else I will have to zap everyone here…. just coz I feel like it!

Ummm…. fake skin, Unca… and to be honest… i really am not a fan of animal skin…
Make them a nice pair of any other colour and I would be happy to send ya all a pic.. :)

“Meanwhile, the caption tells us the man is seeking “blessings” for the baby.

You know, one blessing might be not to have a father who holds him over big-ass reptiles. I’m just saying…”

Amen to this!! What was he thinking?!

Posted by chrismasters | Report as abusive

On Fathers’ Day, I bought my son a brand new Honda. A brand new Honda powerwasher. Happy Dad’s Day to me!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Umm…. isnt that supposed to be the other way round, Doc?

Nope, Shra, the best part of this Father’s Day present is that my son will be the one “driving” it — to wash my house, my car, my driveway….

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

In that case, felicitations, Monsieur Doc!!!

Felicitations or hallucinations? I’ll probably have better luck getting “Frankie” to powerwash things.

he he… well, you get an “A” for hoping.. :D

Anybody else have anything to say about this one? It would be nice to boost it up onto the Most Comments list…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Hay, bLOg guY. ITS fEelix und oSCAr. dok tinKS we r gONNa POWr wash. Und we r. HIM! HehHEheH! wrITE afta we SEt UP dee caMerA. hEE BeTTr hAVE on hIs runnin shoos! HAHAHA. Well trow IN R wEAr-wOLf of LOndON imPResSuNZ 4 FrEe.

oK, DoK, hEAr we kOMe. OH bOy. Oh bOy! LASt 1 oUt iS a DEmOcAT!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

HaW HAW. U shulda seeen doK Run. HAw. wE lUrNed sum nEW wOrDz. HE iz Kookin ChiNEEZ 4 SuPPEr. He shuLD call hiSSeLf “SuM DuM gUy!” hAw! HAy dOk, whAT U wAnNa WASh neXt? HaY DoK, PaY nO AttENsioN 2 thE dAwG beHInd ThE curtEn.

FeeLIx & oSCaR

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Doc, you’re sitting there on your hard-earned vacation, messing with your Caps Lock and misspelling words so it appears your dogs are commenting on a blog. I’m just saying.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

BlOg GuY, It’s noT DoK, it’S my DoGs…. O crap! Bye!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I, for one, enthusiastically approve of Doc’s use of holiday time.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

One..

Tuh-WHOoo…

Thhhhreee…

::CRUNCH:::

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Sum Dum Guy’s dinner turned out spendidly. The Szechuan turned out a little hot, but we like it that way. Hmmm. Felix! Oscar! Want to try some Chinese?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

3 days to go, wooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!  !!!

Off to the farm and then the Lake today. The Lads are excited to be packing for a trip to the Hinterlands. For the record, they are wonderful dogs. I gave them ice cream last night, and back, tummy, and ear scratches this morning. In return, they keep giving me a ball.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Yes Unca, I prefer things to go boom over things to go crunch.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I do like the things to go boom. But not as much as I like the “schkiff schkiff schkiff” of sharpening knives…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

CrowGirl, Jeez Louise, um, so to speak….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Knives are good. Nice and quiet. ;)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

You’re not going to deny that’s a nice noise ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I believe a quote from “Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels” said it best…

“Guns for show, knives for a pro!” :)

Aside from my M134 BB gun and Uncas Mr. Shooty of course.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

A sharp knife is a wonderful thing, you get far worse injuries from cutting yourself with blunt ones. Trust me on this, I’ve done the research.

Ifly – to quote a former para friend “The scythe; too bulky for covert killing”.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Does cutting yourself deep with kitchen knives count here?

Yep Shra, join the club. I have marginally more burns than cuts, but cheffing for the win on the injury front…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

If someone is coming at you with a scythe I am sure being covert is not really on the agenda. And if that person is wearing a black cloak and has bony finges yer screwed either way.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I am gonna but a comment here just so it has one more than David “Even he couldn’t make soccer popular in the U.S.” Beckham.

So um…yeah… I have too much time on my hands right now.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

It wasn’t Unca, Spin. C’est moi. And I am not giving you David Beck”Canadian”ham until I get another VS blog!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

So let’s just call it a tie them shall we? Until the next VS blog comes about then Beck”Glazed”ham can battle it out with the VS models.

How’s aboot that eh?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

[...] The dad who started his kid on cigarettes at the age of 18 months, and the father we photographed holding his five-month-old son over a crocodile, and others too numerous to [...]