Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

I’m going to my Rotary Club, dear….

June 19, 2010

CHINA/

Quick quiz: The guy in this picture is making…

CHINA/a) a helicopter-shaped ice sculpture

b) a helicopter-shaped lamp for his living room

c) a helicopter-shaped playhouse for his children

d) a homemade helicopter

As bizarre as it may sound, d) is the answer.

I blame myself. I’ve spent so much time in this blog warning about homemade submarines that I haven’t actually mentioned, if you’re going to go straight up in the sky in a vehicle, it should not be put together from crap in your back yard.

Kids, this especially goes for you….

Gao Hanjie (top) installs the rotor blades on his homemade helicopter in Shenyang, Liaoning province, China, June 9, 2010. The graphic designer and helicopter enthusiast, with help from his friends, has spent more than a month building the helicopter. Gao claims he will eventually fly the contraption as a personal project, according to local media. REUTERS/Sheng Li

Comments

He was 22.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

Huh?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

More than a whole month… Wow, all this time, Sikorsky had it wrong. Where can I sign up for flight lessons with Mr. Hanjie?

We just built a helicopter training simulator for the ANA – took two weeks. No engines or rotors, just a box that looks kinda-sorta like an Mi-17.

“Be a rotor-head, join the Oddly Enough Blog network”. Apologies to ifly.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

sweet…

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

He was 22 when he met with that horrid helicopter accident????

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Unca, I think the other rotor is currently in use as a ceiling fan.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

He was 22 when he died in a helicopter accident…

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

I suppose if the rotor doesn’t stick out much past the actual roof, it reduces the desire to do that pointless ducking thing whilst getting out. But “helicopter” would be high up on the list of things I don’t think should be homemade.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I wonder how many doughnuts it’ll take to get that thing off the ground? ;-)

Personally, I can’t knock anyone for pursuing their dreams. I’m building an F-16 myself.

unca … BS&T is some of my favorite flying music. ifly and I will sit in the back while you and E fly. Wait … we’ve got to make room for Shra and Blog Guy and Onedoor and … man, we’re gonna need some extra doughnuts!

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

The rotor, if that is what that tiny thing is supposed to be, is waaaay too small. The tail rotor is way too small to compensate for the torque needed to get this dinorsaur in the air. Helicopters and fixed wing craft are nothing to screw around with. I speak from experience.

My cousin Dave and I both enlisted into the First Aviation Brigade (“Above the Best”) right out of high school. Dave became an air traffic controller; I became an MP. He was on the ground; I was in the air. Dave was the smart one.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Mrrrow!! Mommy’s busy drawin’ sompin’, luks like she wants ta build a hecilopter?

Meow! I juz wants cheezburger!!

Etc.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

My Unca is a Philospher! I like it!

Cam – mini donuts and we will all fit:) Only in a helicopter once. One of the small ones that looked like a dragonfly. I was so enjoying the view through the front that it took me a moment to realize it had lifted off!

Doc, you may have been in the air; but you are not flighty. Well, so far, anyway. Then again, that is my opinion, and you just know I am not quite right…

Bill could me my obscure psychic brother: I think we are related by mirth.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I just hope that the maiden flight is caught on video, and posted on YouTube for all of us to see!

Posted by vwgal | Report as abusive

The “orange crush” patch I wore. The sound effects give me chills. http://www.armyflightschool.org/

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Their ability to work with paper mache is the envy of elementary school children everywhere! I can’t seem to see where there would be room for an engine though. Perhaps they just got done reading “The Mouse and the Motorcycle” in which they think if they just make the sound of a helicopter it will fly!

::::wuppa wuppa wuppa::::

No apologies Dave. It’s all of our Oddly Enough duty to spread the word and increase the ranks. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Umm….no….

Unca, I’ll fly with ya!! I belong in the sky! Let’s go!!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I think they are preparing for next year….

No need to worry about the tail rotor being too small: This guy has gone way beyond the NOTAR concept and has gone straight to NOENGINE.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

::::wuppa wuppa wuppa wuppa::::

It’s not working!!

::::wuppa wuppa wuppa wuppa::::

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Unca, between the two of us we’ll keep that thing in the air! Me from my sheer will, you from keeping the rubber band wound up :D What a team we make!!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I think the plans here include a sewing machine motor.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Just keep thinking happy thoughts E!!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

E, you can be like Jane from X-Men (Yes, i so completely dig those kinda flicks and I am all GaGa for Hugh Jackman)… she was fab!

Rubber band winder upper dude at your service!

@justCAM…when you are done with you F-16 I will be more than happy to be part of he maintainence crew and chew all the gum for ya! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Hey now… I own a plane! Or have you guys forgotten!!
Unca, I would be glad to bring you guys sandwiches? Tuna or Egg & Cheese?

Hey, am I invisible here, or what? Do you not recall that making aircraft at home is my second job?
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/05/11/flying-high-with-my-secret-care er/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Hush BG…
By the way, I am very easy to find on FB, Jibberish….
All you need to do is LOOK! :)

Shra…do you mean Jean? :?

Looks like we’ve got our crew together for this flight! Yay! If we survive this flight we should start our own Airline…OE Air!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

“OE Fly-by-Night Airlines”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Sorry, E, was her name Jean? I thout it was…. oh no! wait a minute I was confusing her with that other redhead… Mary Jane…
Jean it is E!

I am more than happy to continue flying the BT-69 Mr. B., it is a fine aircraft to be sure. I do however have one request. A parachute. I can not for the life of me figure out why you would install an ejection seat. First off, my head really hurts from getting shot through the frame and second, you are lucky I was able to flap my arms fast enough to land just under terminal splatocity.

I mean really, just what is going on in that backyard factory of yours?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

or “OE Fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants Airlines”

Shra, yeah those redheads are hard to tell apart! Mary Jane from Spiderman was hot, but Jean Grey is hotter I think! For a red-head that is lol!

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

That depends E. Are we talking Famke Janssen Jean Grey vs. Kirsten Dunst Mary Jane Watson? If so then yes, Jean Grey is way hotter! However, if we are going with pure comic art then I would have to say Mary Jane was drawn with nicer curves.

Whoever decided on Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane was smoking way too much mary jane.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I think so too E… Jean Grey was too good.. Somehow Cyclops paled in front of her… and Wolverine seemed too much…. Dont you think?

And whoever cast Anna Paquin as Rogue was the supplier.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive