Travel tips, or just more yellow urinalism?

July 12, 2010

lots of toilets 490

Blog Guy, I’m an American planning some overseas travel. As you know, the main thing we look for in foreign countries is good toilets. What can I expect to find?

It’s different in each country, of course, but here are some examples. In the top photo, you can see typical public toilets in Asia. There is no privacy, and the only difference between the men’s and women’s restrooms are that the women’s are pink.

police urine this 360Yikes! That’s horrible! Maybe we just won’t go there. Can you check on South America?

Sure. On the right you can see a typical men’s room there. The facilities themselves are very rustic, but they do have lots of helmeted toilet attendants standing by for assistance.

What kind of assistance?

You know, I guess they give you tissue and towels and stuff, and you tip ‘em a buck or so.

pink toilets 240These places won’t do. My wife isn’t going to like outdoor toilets, even if they are pink, and I’m dubious about doing my business in full view of a dozen helpful attendants.

I think you’ve intentionally shown the worst examples in the world. Surely there is NO PLACE worse than these.

Next, let me show you a little destination we like to call Belgium…

Join the Oddly Enough blog network

Follow this blog on Twitter at rbasler

A customer looks at new toilets and wash basins being sold on the side of the road in Colombo, July 1, 2010. REUTERS/Andrew Caballero-Reynolds

A protester urinates in front of a row of policemen during riots in Argentina, June 18, 2010. REUTERS/Alejandra Bartoliche

More stuff from Oddly Enough

28 comments

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/

I had to see this post just after I have had lunch…
perfect… simply perfect…. thanks BG…

Posted by Shra | Report as abusive

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by robert basler. robert basler said: Travel tips, or just more yellow urinalism? http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/07/12/travel-tips-or-just-more-yellow -urinalism/ [...]

[...] the original post:  Travel tips, or just more yellow urinalism? | Analysis & Opinion | Post a [...]

As much as I admire the act of defiance by the dude in the second picture, judging by the number of riot police, I’m betting that it didn’t work out so good for him, and that he ended up with several ‘ouchies’ on his pee-pee.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

[...] See the article here: Travel tips, or just more yellow urinalism? | Anal… [...]

I was at a PTA meeting once with my neighbor, Peony Bidet (which she gives a French pronunciation, although her husband pronounces it “Bid-it”). After the principal finished a few opening remarks, she said: “Okay, everyone, let’s get on with the meeting. There’s coffee in the urinal. And, then, it’ll be time for a few riparian entertainments!”

Footnote: Peony Bidet and “Riparian entertainments” is an allusion to a Hyacinth Bucket in “Keeping up Appearances.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

[...] reading here: Travel tips, or just more yellow urinalism? | Analysis & Opinion | July 12th, 2010 at 11:42 [...]

Uh-huh. My high school newspaper, where I got my start in journalism, was named The Riparian. True story, Doc.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I bet that officer was really pissed-off. Oh, wait…

Posted by Logrus | Report as abusive

[...] the original post: Travel tips, or just more yellow urinalism? | Analysis & Opinion | Comments [...]

“Don’t turn yellow, join the Oddly Enough blog network!”

This story’s a real pisser, Blog Guy!

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Selling toilets and washbasins on the side of the road. Now there is an interesting new business venture.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Not brand new, pilot. Remember this post from last year…
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 09/09/01/hello-is-this-genes-latrines/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Actually, what happened was the principal at a meeting with parents had a few opening remarks and then said: “Okay, folks, we can get on with teh meeting. There’s coffee in the urinal.” I think I saw once an artsy display of toilets and urinals at a museum, the Loove.

I hate to ask, Bob, what the mascot at your high school was. But now we know why the flow of your prose is so fluid.

A rocket. Rippy Rocket.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I have heard it is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on. Now what if, as in the case of the policeman there, you are pissed off because you are pissed on?

A pictue of drawing a line in the sand comes to mind …

“You cannot cross this line!”

“No, wait, you cannot cross this line!”

Ad nauseum

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

I would guess that the pissed off police beat the piss out of the pisser, but that wouldn’t be possible since he’d already pissed on them.

Posted by MamaC326 | Report as abusive

“To Ride or Not to Ride: A Deconstruction of Laid Back’s ‘White Horse,’” by A. Doll.

In 1983, the struggling musical group Laid Back came out with their overnight (and one-night) smash hit “White Horse.” Many scholars have debated the metaphorical significance of the “white horse” and “white pony” repeatedly referenced in the song’s lyrics, from heroin to sex. No scholar has yet considered that the “white horse” and “white pony” is a bidet. “Bidet,” after all, comes from the French word for “pony.” This article will explore th

“Doc, I’m cutting you off again.”

“Crimony, Bob. What’s a scholar got to do to get published? Should I try The Riparian”?
__________

All kidding aside, if you want to waste 4 minutes of your life that you’ll never get back, here is a link to “White Horse.” I bet it took a month to write the lyrics, and another month for those people to memorize them.

http://s0.ilike.com/play#Laid+Back:White +Horse:277298:s22912976.9646764.1747421. 0.2.31%2Cstd_d245ee31a3154d6c865b7bc8631 ba8f0

Jeez, Mama, real nice mouth for somebody who calls herself that….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Sorry, here is the 4 minute version. I listened to it a week this morning.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2c20t_ laid-back-white-horse_music

Hey BG, I can beat that one… In Okinawa, they really do have urinals mounted to the wall in plain view of the road – at least they did a few years ago.

Even better, here in Afghanistan, the men just squat anywhere in the open and do their business They think we are weird because we stand up.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

You stand up, Dave?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Sorry. Married to the son of an Italian dock worker & it unfortunately has rubbed off on me. It’s usually much worse, but I’ll reel it in for this friendly, family blog. :-)

Posted by MamaC326 | Report as abusive

Sure BG, ’cause I’m a regular, stand-up kind of guy.

[...] original here: Travel tips, or just more yellow urinalism? | Analysis & Opinion | Another Travel TipsSharm El Sheikh Leads The Red Sea Property Boom | Holiday Travel [...]

[...] the original: Travel tips, or just more yellow urinalism? | Analysis & Opinion | About This Post Posted by Administrator on Jul 12th, 2010 and filed under Travel. You can follow [...]

I’m so flushed with excitement over this blog, I think I will sit down.

BG, was Rippy Rocket anything like Roger Rabbit? I loved Roger Rabbit and the Crazy Weasels!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Lol Dave!!!!

Posted by Shra | Report as abusive

Doc, was out of donuts and went and listened to the song and think they had eaten a few too many sprinkles to come out with those complex lyrics. Better tunes and a white horse in the movie “The Commitments.”

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

One, I have never seen that movie. I remember when it came out. I thought it looked interesting.

Doc, The Commitments is great. Watching it would be a wise use of your holiday time.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Amen, CrowGirl. I may watch it again myself this week.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive