Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Putting the irony back in ironing?

July 13, 2010

CYCLING-TOUR/

Blog Guy, you know a lot about sports. Can you tell me about this Ironman Triathlon thing?

You came to the right place, since I’m an Ironman competitor, myself. Here is a photo from our recent race. As the triathlon name suggests, there are three distinct parts.

iron man crop 240First, the bike portion. Like most bicycle activities, it is designed to tie up automobile traffic for miles and miles, thus infuriating drivers and pushing them right over the edge.

Secondly – and here’s where the Ironman name comes from – you have to iron a full set of linen napkins.

Gosh, that surprises me. I pictured a more, you know, manly activity.

Then I guess you’ve never tried to iron outside on a hot day while wearing a dress, with bikers calling you rude names. Try it sometime.

So what’s the third part of this so-called Ironman Triathlon?

It’s cross-highway skiing. Note the guy on skis just behind the dude who is ironing. He’s about to shuffle across the road.

What’s so difficult about that?

He does it right in front of the already pissed-off car drivers. It’s normally the shortest leg of the triathlon.

A group of riders cycles past a man ironing clothes during the eighth stage of the Tour de France cycling race between Station des Rousses and Morzine-Avoriaz July 11, 2010. REUTERS/Jacky Naegelen

Comments

Pressed for time and not looking at the linen, I wonder if that will lead him to become an Ironed Man? Or at least an Ironed Hand.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Can I put the irony in my coffee?

Nice title Mr. Blog Guy. But photos like this really make a person wonder about the French! I mean really, who irons with a hair net?

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

I can hear exactly what the French said regarding the Ironing Man: “C’est pas bĂȘte!” (“It’s not stupid.”)

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

That’s my sister!!!

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Where does the “irony” part come in to play?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

He’s standing next to the road, yet the iron appears to be plugged in. I guess we’re moving to France to get free electricity!

Posted by MamaC326 | Report as abusive

Well ifly, it’s ironic that a macho event like the ironman triathlon would get its name from a guy ironing in a dress.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Soooooo…..you are telling me it’s not macho to iron in a dress?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Wouldnt that be Ce nest pas bete, Doc??
I could be sooooooooooooooo wrong!

I wish he was wearing stilletos… nice arms btw… :P

You’re testing me, aren’t you Shra? No, I think I’m right.

You do remind me, though, of the time I was writing a paper and needed the Latin phrase for “castrating female.” I checked my phrase with the University Latin scholar, who told me that my phrase, loosely translated, was the Roman name for chile con carne!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

If you compare the size of the man in the dress with that of the cyclists – he really is an iron giant.
I can understand it though, watching cycling would have me board stiff as well.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

If you are looking for inspirational headlines, I made up a few potential candidates, based on current events:
Lohan behold-ing cell
Apple crumbles
S’pain in the Arsenal

And just a few random ones:
Thong and dance
Tanks for the mammories
Witch whey did they go?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Doc and Shra, I don’t which of you has the French phrase right, but I believe the correct translation is “That’s not Betty!”

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Ladylala, it’s interesting that you say that. Today, I cleaned out videotapes. I came across a film a female Japanese student gave me maybe 20 years ago. The film is “Betty Blue.” She told me that it was her favorite film, and she wanted me to watch it. I watched it today for the first time. I feel disturbed.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

ur iron man may be protesting newly proposed French law regarding Berkas. Either that or he is the reason Lance crashed several times during the tour this year, possibly because of the iron’s cord?

Posted by joshtondo | Report as abusive

Oh… I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

France…what can I say :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Shra, if ifly wants to wear a dress to do his ironing, would it be more macho to wear stilettos or bunny slippers to complete the look? I’m waiting for the photo:)

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Ummm…. we can use your OSU special powers to visualise… :P