I don’t recall, Your Honor, it’s all a blur

July 14, 2010

GERMANY/

Do not adjust your monitor, these two guys have intentionally distorted eyes because, we are told, they are on trial and their faces have been blurred “in accordance with German privacy laws.”

Are you kidding me? Because it looks like the agency that did the blurring just phoned it in. Is there anybody who wouldn’t recognize these guys if you ever saw them again?

blurred vertical 240I guess this must be the same privacy tactic that flummoxed us by putting glasses on Superman and calling him Clark Kent.

“Hey look at those two guys in this blog, Hulga! Isn’t that Sebastian and Markus, those boys we met at Oktoberfest last year?”

“It sure is, Greta! Remember, our eyes all looked like that after an evening of drinking peppermint schnapps!”

“Right, and that’s the beaded wrist band you gave to Sebastian! Well, this is goin’ right up on my Facebook wall, Hulga! Small world, huh?”

“Hang on, Greta, I’m Tweeting it right now. Achtung, gang! Guess what Sebastian and Markus are doin’ this summer? ROFL!”

Top: A combination of pictures shows defendants Sebastian L. (L) and Markus S. before the start of their trial in the court of Munich, July 13, 2010. REUTERS/Andreas Gebert/Pool FACES OF DEFENDANTS ARE BLURRED AT SOURCE IN ACCORDANCE WITH GERMAN PRIVACY LAWS

Right: Defendant Sebastian L. is pictured before his trial in the court of Munich, July 13, 2010. REUTERS/Peter Kneffel/Pool

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by robert basler, Oddly Enough. Oddly Enough said: I don’t recall, Your Honor, it’s all a blur http://link.reuters.com/tub57m [...]

Glad you put the notice up front to not adjust my monitor… Not that it would help much, if I disturb the dust too much, I can’t see it anyway.

Maybe you can help by supplying them with some of your annoying little white bars?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

No way, Dave, those little white bars may only be used by trained professionals, which these guys obviously are not.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

What’s the trial for?

OK ignore the question :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

These two are on trial for beating to death a businessman. They attacked four students and then beat to death the businessman when he tried to defend the students. They should spend the rest of their days sharing a cell in Lansberg Prison. They can take turns being the punkah wallah on the bike.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I just thought these guys worked for the government – I mean aren’t they all faceless bureaucrats?

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

But Doc, that’s only if they’re guilty, right? Look at them. Do they have the eyes of a killer?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Does Sebastian work for Google or Microsoft? Just asking coz the colours on the wristband HAVE to indicate something, if a guy is wearing them!

They ought to be popular in prison – they have such purty mouths …

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

Okay, Bob. You’re right. They are innocent until proven guilty. Let me correct my earlier post:

These two alleged defendants are on trial for allegedly beating to death an alleged businessman. They allegedly attacked four alleged students and then allegedly beat to death the alleged businessman when he allegedly tried to defend the alleged students. In my opinion, if they are found guilty of the alleged crimes, they should spend the rest of their days sharing a cell in Lansberg Prison. If they did indeed commit the alleged crimes, and let us not forget that the defendants have not yet been found guilty of the alleged crimes, they can take turns being the supposed punkah wallah on the purported bike.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

By coincidence, I spoke with a Louisiana lawyer today. She assured me that the U.S. Constitution, which ensures innocence until proven guilty in criminal trials, still applies in LA. In civil court, but not crimnal, the Napoleonic Code applies, sort of. Louisiana has always been the odd man out when it comes to state laws. I used to think it was the heat; now, I think it’s the water.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Hey, did you just teach us something, Doc?
Shra, is that thing charged yet?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

“Do they have the eyes of a killer?”

I’m guessing yes. In a box in their freezer.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Well, Unca and Doc may have been writing coherently; but if you put some white bars over every few words and then try to read it, you won’t learn anything!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Now Doc… I know you feel strongly about this… but dont forget, humour is important!!!!!
There, dont make me tase you now… :D

@Doc: Thanks doc. :-)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

[...] Yes, but privacy laws in the German courts are very strict, as we’ve seen before. [...]