And here’s my chunderwear collection!

July 28, 2010

barf dehavilland 490

As I’ve complained here before, the problem with doing a humor blog for a news organization is that people often try to send me real news, which I usually just throw away.

barf bangkok air 220But this week, collectwedo.com, a “social collecting” site for people with hobbies, told me about a guy who collects airline barf bags.

That’s right. You know those bags in the seat pocket in front of you on a plane, in case you need to hurl? Larry Greenstein, of San Diego, collects those.

I asked Larry some questions about his hobby, starting with whether the bags he collects are new or used. I was somewhat disappointed to learn he only goes for the new ones.

“I started collecting them because I found it fascinating that an airline would deliberately put their logo and brand on something so awful,” he explained. “It’s akin to naming a drug after a disease it’s intended to cure.”

I wondered if Larry himself had ever used a barf bag.

ROWING/“I’ve been seasick but not airsick.  Air or seasickness is about the worst sick feeling you can have – a great reason not to put your brand or logo on a barf bag,” he said.

One good thing about collecting barf bags is that you don’t have to go to a lot of big events and schmooze with others who collect the same thing you do. Larry said he’s not aware of others who share his interest. “Why would anyone want to collect barf bags?  They’re disgusting.”

I avoided asking Larry how he displays his impressive collection, because I like to imagine he has made little seat pockets for the chairs in his house, with a bag in each one.

If anybody out there knows Larry, and you’re invited over to his house for dinner, plan to stop at a novelty shop on the way. I know a great practical joke you can play on him…

Be a winner. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

Top and right: Barf bags from Larry’s collection.

Left: Cambridge crew members (L to R) Peter McClelland, George Nash and Geoff Roth celebrate after winning the 156th annual boat race between Oxford and Cambridge University on the River Thames in London April 3, 2010. REUTERS/Toby Melville

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by robert basler and Oddly Enough, eBusiness BPO Inc.. eBusiness BPO Inc. said: And here’s my chunderwear collection! http://bit.ly/bHqWQH [...]

Wow BG. Awesome post. Just goes to show that outside of the OE Blog Network, there are some truly disturbed people. Of course, there are some truly disturbed people inside of the network too, but that’s beside the point.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

“Comes with complimentary barf bag, join the Oddly Enough blog network”

What would Larry have the airlines put on the barf bag, the logo of their competitor? Actually that might work out…

“Welcome to American Airlines we sure do hope you enjoy your flight. If you should feel uneasy and get airsick, please use the bags provided by Delta because that horrible feeling you feel is their fault!”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Good idea, Ifly. Or perhaps the bags could have a photo of eight glasses of airline wine, which is probably the cause of the airsickness anyway.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Pity Mr.Nash wasnt wearing a barf bag on his back, for Mr.Roth to use…
No wonder, they say the Thames is polluted…

Apparently, Larry is not the only one who collects barf bags. BG, you should have given Larry the ol’ “heave ho.” http://sicksack.com/pukemedia.htm
___________

“This Little Bag”

This little bag I hope will prove
To be not vainly made–
For, if you should a needle want
It will afford you aid.
And as we are about to part
T’will serve another end,
For when you look upon the Bag
You’ll recollect your friend

– Jane Austen

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Sounds like PTSD to me, Unca – Pretty Traumatic Shoe Destruction.

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

Soooo….Papa’s got a brand new bag.
Doc, LOVED the Austen quote! Kinda ominous and spooky though in these drugged times. Sounds like a heroin dealer’s kiss-off. The furthest thing from our dear Miss Jane’s mind. “Emma” right?

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

So, I know Larry – have for almost 25 years – and this is not the oddest thing I know about him. But decorum prevents me from talking about that. So, let me just say that he is very funny and a really great gentleman. Barf bags used to fascinate me, now its urine cakes….

Posted by ejvs3 | Report as abusive

I should know better than to read the blog before dinner.
NO cake for dessert.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I read that website as “collectweirdo.com” :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

CrowGirl – you read the article did you not? This is a funny, quirky catch your attention article. And it worked – so the weirdos thank you very much. I also know Larry personally and can confirm that he is a very interesting, gentle and kind human being – supremely intelligent. It’s humor that’s all. Go check out http://www.CollectWeDo.com. You may be surprised~ Love the blog!

Posted by n1924 | Report as abusive

Spin how did you do that with the website thing there with the battling…and the green…it was so very green!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghh hhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

N1924 – What, the article on the collect website ? No. I’m contractually obliged not to navigate away from here. I’m sure Larry is lovely though; all the people I’ve ever met called Larry have been lovely. And I collect and did collect some really odd stuff, so I think sick bags are a great idea. Quite apart from anything else, if you snaffle them when you’re going on a camping holiday, you’ve got bags for your picnic sandwiches all week. :) Not that I ever did that on the boat to the Scilly Isles.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

CrowGirl that is hysterical! I bet no one would take the sandwiches, either!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

One; I generally only go on holiday with myself anyway, so I was fine with it. Plain brown bag, waterproof enough for sandwich filling not to end up all over your book and camera in your bag, what’s not to love?! :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I agree… very solemnly…

If you’re out there Larry, Bob Grove also of San Diego has a barf bag collection of well over a thousand bags.

And if you’re interested, I do too: http://www.airsicknessbags.com

Let me know if you want to swap.
Steve