Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Top 10 stupid blog posts for July

August 1, 2010

I just couldn’t be more proud.

VIETNAMFor July, readers of my blog continued to reveal their well-rounded, eclectic and sophisticated tastes by clicking in large numbers on a wide variety of useful topics.

They went for the arts – our item about Hell’s Orchestra – and travel, for our exposé of brutal forced shopping in Hong Kong, and a God-awful idea for a tourist attraction.

They flocked to our gadget news, as we showed a prison that makes its own electricity, and we gave valuable advice on making your new iPhone work.

But above all, my readers are savvy climbers in the world of business, hungry for advice on how to handle those team-building corporate retreats.

DAKAR-FASHION/

These were the top 10 posts for last month:

10. What the Hell is that sound?

9. Then those animals forced me to shop!

8. When gifted bikini models need my help

7. Do WHAT to make my iPhone work?

6. Inmate Hamster, welcome to The Rock!

5. The worst dress in the history of earth?

4. When goofy hats come back to bite you…

3. It Alps if you don’t look down…

2. There’s lingerie in Paraguay?

And the number one post for July…

1. Gosh, isn’t this a pretty dumb thing to do?

Vietnam’s Foreign Minister Pham Gia Khiem (L) presents a painting to U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (R) in Hanoi July 22, 2010. The painting, made with gemstones, features Clinton and her daughter Chelsea wearing traditional conical hats. REUTERS/Stringer

Model Liana N’Diaye wears a creation by Ivory Coast designer Anderson D during Dakar Fashion Week July 18, 2010. REUTERS/Finbarr O’Reilly

Comments

Thanks for the Top Ten, BG! Am looking forward to the wonderful items August will bring. Will go look for a donut substitute for today:)

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Yet the post involving David “My wife likes to zigga-zig-ahhhh” Beckham from back in May still remains tied for first in the most comments.

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/05/24/hurt-locker-soccer/

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

True, Pilot. But there never has been any connection between traffic to an item and the number of comments on that item.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Shoot, you can get 10 stupid blog posts every day. Just read some of the comments posted over at Fox News.

Posted by MrSpeeb | Report as abusive

I wonder Mr.Blog Guy… how do you determine which is the Stupidest post? I mean, this talk about traffic to the post and comments on the post is very…. confusing..

@Shra: I’m with you, girl. Spent my lonely weekend trying to figure out the diff between “traffic to the post” and “comments on the post”. Best I can tell, “traffic” refers to mere clicks; “comments” refers to our actual responses. Very confusing. Might be helpful if we all agree to refer to the latter as “com-post.” What say you, gang?

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Lala and Shra, yes, traffic is clicks on an item – readers calling it up to have a look. Comments are the things you guys make at the end of an item. The reason I say there’s no connection is that each item gets thousands, or often tens of thousands, of clicks, but only a few dozen comments.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

It does. Yellow, black, and red raspberries, blackberries, elderberries, strawberries, black currants, apples, plums, etc. Let’s get this traffic jam started!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Shame you didn’t get it started with the Elvis toe tag item last week; you could then call it Toe Jam….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

In short, dear Bob, you’re saying we few dozen com-posters are special. Aw shucks…that’s sweet.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

With a toe jam, we could invite my friend who has a prosthetic big toe. His name? Roberto, of course!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

My friend Roberto is imaginary. But perhaps I know a Frenchman who always wears sandals. His name? Phillipe Philop.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Tens of thousands huh? Well, with a six hour lunch break I do get kinda bored ya know.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Six-hour lunch break? Oh, so you’re one of those GOVERNMENT workers, huh?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I forgot my high bush blueberries and seedless grapes. Both are great for preserves.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Spin, you nailed it.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

OSU founder?? Stella Toe??
Umm… I am checking the registry Spin, no one by that name registered… am I missing something in my records? Nooooooooo!!!!! My records have to be upto date!!
Emergency OSUU meeting!! Get Stella Toe…!!!!

BG, Mr.Pilot means the kinda lunch breaks we all get… I mean.. look at me.. I dont work for the “gubberment” .. i have a desk job… and yet, I am always on the blog…
6 hour lunch breaks? Sure thing!!

And the Doritos, Spin? Also known at our house as “dirty toes.” I thought “Stella Toe” was brilliant. It is one of those “Hm, I wish I’d thought of that” comments.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Ahh… now I am embarassed….

You don’t like Doritos Spin??? Not even Cool Ranch? They’re ranch, and they’re cool!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Traffic.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Darn it….

I think that we call them “dirty toes” says it all. Cool ranch? They’re still “cool ranch dirty toes.” Sorry, Ifly.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I am good with it. All the more for me. And calling them “dirty toes” does not take anything away from the deliciousness as far as I am concerned.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Spin, are you also in Switzerland?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

You think so, Spin? After all that BP fiasco?

American Township, Allen County, Ohio was German Township until 1918.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive