Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Iguana bring along my friend, okay?

August 3, 2010

iguana top 490

I’m sorry, but apparently it’s time for an etiquette lesson.

The caption on these photos tells us this guy is taking his Giant Mexican Iguana with him for a walk while “meeting a friend for lunch.”

CANADA/Really? Because to me, that’s a lunchtime deal-breaker.

“Dave, I see you’ve got your butt-ugly Giant Mexican Iguana hanging on your shoulder there, while I’m trying to eat my lunch. His fricking tongue is darting into my Cobb salad, for God’s sake!”

Folks, if you’re having lunch with me, you can bring all the dogs you want, especially big ones. I will feed them under the table and say, “Who’s a good puppy?”

But leave the iguanas at home.  I was so disturbed by these pictures that I started checking local restaurants to ask about their iguana policies.

To my surprise, a few of them do have iguana and non-iguana sections. But the ones I will patronize in the future are those with large “No Lizards Allowed” signs posted at the door.

That’s that. Now, a word about people who bring their praying mantis to nice hotel lounge bars…

Mike Reeder takes his pet Giant Mexican Iguana, named Zeus, with him for a walk while meeting a friend for lunch  in Vancouver, British Columbia, July 28, 2010. REUTERS/Andy Clark

Comments

Something tells meI shouoldnt have seen this blog at lunchtime!

No Lounge Lizards Allowed in the Bar.
BG, you just knew that was coming.

And I was a good kid and did not comment on driving off the assembly line in MI.

Dave. We need to hear from Dave.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Oh by the way, that chocolate sponge cake I baked yesterday, was gone in 15 mins today… I am sooo chuffed! :D

Doze crazee Canadians, eh? Probably going to Tim Horton’s for a doughnut, eh?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

It can’t be any worse than some of the pets I’ve encountered in Paris restaurants, like the cat that kept trying to steal my shrimp. They served the shrimp, in the shell, on a bed of lettuce. My son, who was about 4, grinned slyly and said “She brought you worms!”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Hey! That’s not me! You know it’s not, because I would have my pet goat along. If I had one. Wait, I mean I would be having goat for lunch. Yeah, that’s it.

@Just, I hope you don’t think I’m from Canukistan. That’s a wee bit north for me.

@Shra – chuffed? Is that a good thing?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Ooooooh! I can answer that for you, Dave, because I speak British. Chuffed means drunk.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I once knew a young woman with a pet goat. She would bring it to dances. I liked the way the tail would wiggle in time to the music. And the goat was pretty good, too. ;)

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I wonder if they have snake sections as well. It would be nice to take your snake along while meeting a friend for lunch. Would be a good way for making sure you dont have to pay the bill.

Posted by Insane | Report as abusive

Edinburgh is in Scotland Mr. B.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Dave! Good day! Was concerned the goat grill was a tad warm. Glad to hear from you:)

Shra is drunk on happy! All she needs now are some cute shoes to top it off!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

BG, you mean blitzed… Dave, being chuffed is a good thing… its got nothing to do with being blitzed though…
though if you are the kind, you could be chuffed at being blitzed…

@Dave .., Canukistan, nice. I though you were from LaLa land?

@Shra … I’m chuffed too! ;-) Happens every time I ride my bike.

Meeting Lindsay later for drinks (Oops! I wasn’t supposed to say that.)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Mexican iguana in Canada? He’s gonna need a tooke come November.

Posted by MamaC326 | Report as abusive

Naw, the grill didn’t get that hot, the knuckleheads just rattled my cave this morning with their bonehead theatrics: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/art icle/ALeqM5gBJbAXc3rptu2KDPvjGPZ4jp4ybg

Funny, reading about it just doesn’t capture the essence. Enough excitement for me this month….

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

@Shra – so if you’re in the boozer getting blitzed, you should always have a butcher’s for the filth, as you may have to do a runner?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Take care Dave and we will make sure we keep you sane…
Have some chocolate sponge cake… :D

Spin – NOOOOO! Chuff as a verb means something quite different!

I do think we should have a “euphemisms for drunk” debate though. :) Rat arsed anyone?

Dave, hope your luck holds and your aim is true.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Euphemisms: “$#*! faced”; “three sheets in the wind” (whatever that means); blasted; tanked; ripped; slashed; snockered. I find it vaguely disturbing that we have so many words/phrases for being pine-tree-hugging drunk.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Dave, buddy, just read the article. If things get outta hand we will send in the OE rescue task force for ya!!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

It’s lucky that you’re discussing the intricacies of British language and not Australian. We take most of the English stuff, some of the American stuff, then throw in a lot of really strange and obscure things, just to confuse the tourists. After all, we wouldn’t want them getting near our precious dropbears, now would we? Just please don’t start on the rhyming slang, you Brits can keep that!

Posted by Wyvie | Report as abusive

LOL! Spin! I agree… you need to get to Urban dictionary for that word…. I aint posting it here coz I dont wanna be accussed of teaching and you lot learning from it!!!

Where’s LMR? She handles the Australian branch of OSU!

Ah yes, the quaint Australian custom of using irony as humor
For example referring to someone with red hair as ‘Blue’, or calling a large person ‘Tiny’

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

I know someone whose parents named her “Blue.” She married a guy with the last name of Green and changed her last name to his. Her friends call her “Red.” True.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

No, Spin, but her character is, just a lot of fun. Perhaps I should have said: “The colors have been changed to protect the innocent.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Feeling down where, Spin?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I could say “Keep what clean?” But this is a family blog, so I won’t say that.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive