Merry Christmas, Charlie!

August 4, 2010

USA/

Normally I wouldn’t bother being snarky about actor Charlie Sheen and his ongoing problems with the law. It’s just too easy.

He pleaded guilty this week to assaulting his wife, and was sentenced to drug and alcohol rehabilitation. You may recall Sheen was arrested after his wife told police he pulled a knife on her and threatened to have her killed last Christmas.

USA/As part of the plea deal, Sheen agreed to three months of probation in which he can’t drink “an excessive amount” of alcohol. He was also ordered to attend 36 hours of anger management classes.

But then I saw these photos, of Sheen blowing kisses to “fans” and giving a fist salute outside the courthouse.

Has the fricking world gone nuts? Where do you find “fans” to cheer a guy on his way to plead guilty to assaulting his wife on Christmas Day?

What were they shouting at him? Maybe stuff like, “We’ll watch your sitcom no matter what, Charlie! Don’t worry, we’re too dumb to change the channel!”

And under the circumstances, is the clenched fist gesture just some kind of tasteless parody?

The worst possible scenario is that maybe these “fans” were totally oblivious to what was going on, but their personal policy is simply to cheer Charlie Sheen anytime they see him, no matter what. Think about that.

Meanwhile, I guess I’d better wrap this up now, in case Charlie flunks those anger management classes.

Actor Charlie Sheen blows kisses towards fans as he arrives for a sentencing hearing at the Pitkin County Courthouse in Aspen, Colorado August 2, 2010. Sheen was expected to be sentenced for assaulting his wife during an alcohol-fueled Christmas Day quarrel in Aspen. REUTERS/Rick Wilking

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by robert basler and Oddly Enough, eBusiness BPO Inc.. eBusiness BPO Inc. said: Merry Christmas, Charlie! http://bit.ly/9Ln7x4 [...]

In three months it will be Halloween. I’d be very careful opening my door to “Trick or Treat!” And if the door does get opened give him all the candy so he doesn’t get upset.

Excessive drinking? He can’t quit for 3 months?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I saw the Rookie the other day… mainly coz of Clint Eastwood…. Charlie was easy on the eyes then… much like Tom Cruise was in Cocktails…
Ah well, they all grow up.. dont they?

Aloha, from a very sunny Edinburgh!!!

Sadly, you can add to your list of shame for the year(just for openers):
Mel Gibson

Amy Winehouse
Keifer Sutherland
Shia LeBoeuf
Christian Bale
Tiger Woods

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

Good point, One. What kind of probation is it where he can still drink where alcohol is part of the problem? And what is “excessive” alcohol consumption? What’s the old saying? “One drink is too many and 20 isn’t enough.”
***

The Court: “Therefore, Mr. Sheen, you are ORDERED to refrain from drinking any alcohol for three months!”

Defense Counsel: “Your Honor, with all due respect, that’s a violation of the 8th Amendment’s prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. I mean, no sauce for 3 months! This is California, your Honor! And Charlie has professional obligations.”

The Court: “Counsel makes a point. Mr. Sheen, no EXCESSIVE consumption of alcohol for 3 months. And by ‘excessive,’ I mean no more than a fifth of Wild Turkey and a 12 pack of Crazy Horse Malt Liquor in any 24-hour period. So ORDERED.”

Defense Counsel: “Thank you, your Honor. [Aside] C’mon, Charlie. There’s a Bar around the corner.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I do agree that some people are just pre-programmed to go ape #$@! around celebrities. It’s kinda sickening really. It’s like Mr. B. said..

“Wooooo Charlie Sheen we lurve you! So what you got charged with assault! The court system sucks man! Lurved you in Two and a Half Men!! Woooo!”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Some of my personal friends are celebrities (actresses, novelists). I think we’re friends because I didn’t go ape when I met them, that and my wit, boyish charm, and devilish good looks, of course.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I have to think it’s your modesty, Doc…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Yes, Bob. Certainly. I try to throw that and lots of sincerity into everything I do.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Doc, this discussion brings me to one of my favorite Scott Fitzgerald quotes about himself:

“I didn’t have the two top things: great animal magnetism or money. I had the two second things, though: good looks and intelligence. So I always got the top girl.”

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Go ahead, Shra, do your worst. You may as well, because I already know that one of tomorrow’s posts includes a mention of Marcel Proust.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Yes, and your green fingers, Doc…. cant forget those.. hard to miss!

Then I shall save the best for last, Basler… cant go a-wasting of the zaps you see… Energy conservation!!

[...] Merry Christmas, Charlie! | Analysis & Opinion | [...]

You picked a fine time to go green Shra.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

[...] Merry Christmas, Charlie!Reuters UK (blog)You may recall Sheen was arrested after his wife told police he pulled a knife on her and threatened to have her killed last Christmas. …No jail time for Charlie SheenMiamiHerald.comCharlie Sheen SentencedNew York TimesCharlie Sheen Plea Deal Down to the WireFOXNewsDaily Mail -CBS News -Times of Indiaall 1,195 news articles » [...]

hehe he he…. I cant zap anytime anyone asks me to…. it would become boring… you dont want me to get boring, do you, Mr.Pilot?

What twisted individual would actually asked to be zapped? Hmm..ya know what, I would rather not know. heh

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

BG keeps hinting when I should zap… I wield the taser, I decide!!! Mwahahaha ha ha ha!!!!

Shra, do you think maybe Mr. B. has a fetish then? Like a taser zapping voyuer fetish? Hmmmmmmm…..

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Maybe, Mr.Pilot… lets ask him shall we?
On the other hand, maybe not…

[...] talking about a guy who just a year ago pleaded guilty to assaulting his wife. Yeah, bring on the good-natured [...]