Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

I say! This is the BEST tug of war ever!

August 8, 2010

tug of war combo 490

Quick quiz: This man, the heir to an actual throne in a place I bet you’ve heard of, is giggling like a simpleton over…

tug of war vertical 220a) A Ricky Gervais stand-up performance

b) A Monty Python reunion show

c) A public reading of selected items from this blog

d) A tug of war

Sadly, it’s the tug of war, but there is more you need to know.

Prince Charles is attending some Highland games up in northern Scotland, and I guess a good tug of war is just about all they have to brighten their bleak lives up there.

Some of you know I’ve spent years researching what life is like in places without proper entertainment, in the form of cable television, DVDs, on-demand movies and stuff like that.

In such far-flug outposts, entertainment often comes down to a singing dingo, furniture races or, in this case, watching the locals tug on a rope.

Don’t worry, the damage to Charles is not permanent. I’m sure once he returned to the Royal Sedan Chair, it was back to “Blazing Saddles” on his portable, battery-operated DVD player.

Britain’s Prince Charles laughs as he watches the tug of war competition during the Mey Highland Games in Caithness, northern Scotland August 7, 2010. Charles holds the title of ‘Chieftain’ for the games.

REUTERS/David Moir

Comments

Royals…. how cute!!!! :D

His mother raised him right, he knows to keep his knees together while sitting in his kilt.

BG, don’t suppose you have a photo of the tug of war clansmen? That might be a princely photo, with more interesting kilts:)

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I want a kilt! I wonder where I can get one.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

What bums me out about this one is, of the 22,000 readers who took this quiz, NOT ONE thought Charles was listening to selected readings from my blog.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

No donut crumbs on his kilt was the clue, BG. You know we all thought it could be your blogs…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Doc, you might be able to arm wrestle the Prince for his while he is in a good mood.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Very good advice, Unca!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Prince Charles is looking in one direction, the people behind him are looking in the other.

So maybe he is all a’giddy because he is the first to spot the ice-cream truck rolling up.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Is that a pen in his kneesock or is he just happy to be there?

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Well, we all know what makes Prince Charles happy. Too bad its not a public reading of selected items from this blog. Otherwise, he would have gone, how should I put it, Insane.

Posted by Insane | Report as abusive

Doc, I could get you a nice traditional authentic tartan kilt… You would have to come to Edin though… :D

Unca, I say “ta” all the time… does that make me royalty? (batting my eyelids… :D )

Prince Charles in a kilt … these are a few of my favorite things … thanks, BG!

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

Lala, I was going to ask if that was a dirk in his sock… :)

Doc – with your useful farm based lifestyle, might I recommend Utilikilts ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

CG, Utilikilts = cool! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Utiliki lts_Company

I hate wearing trousers, especially when I’m working on home renovations. I do a lot of squatting, which can really cramp my style, so to speak. As for farming, as long as the mosquitoes aren’t out in full force.

And I really like the camouflage. Then, I can successfully hide from my family. YAY!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Skirts with pockets – result!

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Mrs. Doc: Honey! Did you…. Funny, he was out here a minute ago. Now there’s just this rather hot looking tree.

Doc: Nobody out here but us trees. [Aside] Oh, darn it!

Mrs. Doc: A-HA!

Doc: I’m a tree. Now, be off with you.

Mrs. Doc: If you’re a tree, how can you talk?

Doc: I’m a special tree. I went to nursery school.

Mrs. Doc: Why do you have feet, hmm?

Doc: They’re board feet. Be gone, I say.

Mrs. Doc: Okay, Mr. Tree, then you know the “Wake Up Mr. Tree” song, right?

Doc: [tentatively] Yes.

Mrs. Doc: Then, let’s hear it, Mr. Tree.

Doc: [Singing]

Wake up, Mr. Tree
It’s morning, can’t you see?

Mrs. Doc: And what does Mr. Tree then say?

Doc: Why, good morning boys and girls!

Mrs. Doc: Okay, I’m convinced you’re a tree. Do you know where Doc went to? Dinner’s ready.

Doc: Hey! Hi there! I’m up here. In this tree! Didn’t know YOU were down there, little girl!

Mrs. Doc: You have a wonderful singing voice. Dinner isn’t really ready. I just …. Hey, what happened to the tree that was just here?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

BG, you heard Spin… get baking!!