Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

I don’t want what he had…

August 13, 2010

MEXICO/

“Lamar, aren’t you gonna finish your fish taco? Then whose is it? Ah, that dead guy’s?

“Well he’s not gonna finish it, so shove it over here, I’m still hungry.

“Hey, wait! What if he died from food poisoning? Hmmm.

taco stand crop 280“You know what, Lamar. I figure he already ate the bad part. I mean, a whole taco can’t be bad, right? Pass the sauce.”

The above conversation was totally made up, but you have to love this real photo of patrons still eating at a taco stand, a few feet from a dead body.

The caption says the poor man died from a heart attack, so I guess that pool of blood near his head was from the previous dead guy in that spot.

I want to point out that the caption makes clear this photo isn’t available for advertising campaigns. So you ad guys at Coca-Cola can just forget about building a glossy magazine campaign around this one.

Patrons eat at a taco stand, as the body of a man lies on the pavement, in Ciudad Obregon August 10, 2010. According to local media, the man died after suffering a fatal heart attack. REUTERS/Francisco Gonzalez Bolon/Expreso NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS

Comments

I don’t even doubt that picture. When we got robbed where I work the police were here, they had the building taped off with “police line: do not cross” tape, and the doors were locked. Yet people just disregarded everything and still knocked on the door wondering if were open and got upset that we couldn’t cash their check.

So really, is a dead body gonna prevent people from noming their tacos? You can bet your life it won’t! :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I’ve been at a number of serious injury scenes. What amazes me is how some people seem to think that the most important thing is that they find out “what happened”. They have no intention of offering any help.

One incident sticks in my mind. At an intersection near my house, a young woman ran a stop sign and was hit by another car. It was bad. I stopped. (I was a certified EMT in my crusty past.) I call 9-1-1. I’m telling the young woman not to move, stay put. She’s hyperventilating, so I have her breathing in a bag while I’m applying a pressure dressing to her forehead. Her left arm is clearly broken, so I’m telling her not to move it.

She stops long enough to cry hysterically and say her parents are going to kill her. I’m thinking, honey, they’re just going to be glad you’re alive. I’m wondering if it is at all possible to disconnect the battery cables (answer: no), if I should get her out of the car and risk further injury. There was no gas, so we just stayed put.

Then a car stops, some dufus wanders over, looks the cars over, ambles back to his car and leaves. The other driver is out his car an dwlking around. But did Dufus ask him if he’s okay? Did he ask me if he could help? Sheesh.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Annie are you ok,
Won’t you tell us that you’re ok?

You just finished a taco,
With Carne Asada,
Approved by the USDA!

When you stepped onto the sidewalk,
You keeled over,
Made a guy gawk.

But there was nothing that they could do,
As they nomed food,
It was your doom Annie!

Annie are you ok, you ok, you ok Annie?
What cause you do die?
Your heart was hit by
High cholesterol!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

“No Coke! Pepsi!”

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

The patrons are just shocked that somebody there died from a heart attack, as opposed to a normal cause, like drive by lead poisoning.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Tacos worth dying for…
So good you’ll never eat anywhere else….

Posted by rickeyrogers | Report as abusive

Hey Doc, we see new sides of you all the time. Thanks for stopping for that woman and for staying with her. You make the world a better place.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Okay, okay, I don’t like the direction this is going. If there’s anything worse than this blog being educational, it’s having it become uplifting.

Save it for Christmas, bucko….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Where’s the ‘Like’ button? ;-)

Thanks, BG. Nice way to head out for the weekend!

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Remind me never to eat at THAT taco stand! Sheesh!

Posted by vwgal | Report as abusive

Taco Heaven!

Posted by rickeyrogers | Report as abusive

“Especial de hoy: El día del taco muertos, coque pequeños, y una manta”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Maybe getting shot caused the heart attack.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

You are talking a language I am begginning to understand, Doc…. ;)

I’m making chili today, with tomatoes and hot and sweet peppers out of my garden. I have various recipes, including one I call “buzzard breath.” Maybe, I’ll make that one. Of course, the last time I made that recipe, I had bodies stacked around the house like cord wood! No, that was after I bought my new axe. Is it any wonder I have axe-wielder’s-elbow, CG?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I don’t buy the “heart-attack” line. I think he was estrangled or estabbed by the vaquero in the WHITE HAT!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

why nobody is f****ng doing to remove body???? :@

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

The girl in blue just wants her taco…I totally get that.

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

I feel your pain Doc. You clearly need the splitty thing we have at work that runs off a tractor power take off.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Si, Unca… Estoy aprendiendo! :)

Las Muertos shoulda warned ya Spin… why on earth would someone call their tavern that? Of course, if they wish you to be under the earth, instead of on it…

“Small skulls and skeletons strategically placed can be clever in a kitschy sort of way”

That’s what I keep telling the people who recoil in horror at the state of my front room.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I own no stilettos. My shop dummy is wearing a feather boa and a tac vest at the moment, does that count? And the badger skull looks great. I should probably finish off the pig skull art sculpture though. And deal with the desiccated bat corpse.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Desiccated, Crow? I’ve heard of desiccated coconut, but not bat corpse. Must be a Welsh dish…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Wowie!! That must be some place you have, CG!

Unca,

It always takes some time to acclimate when travelling. Some languages I get into the swing of more quickly than others. German is my second language. I’m told my French and Spanish have a German accent. With French and Spanish, I can suffer from stage fright. For example, on one trip to Paris, I wanted to order 4 croissants. For the life of me, I couldn’t remember the word for 4. So, I ordered 5.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I would like, uh, er, um FIVE donuts, please.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

The bat’s not for eating, it’s rare and probably protected. Just sort of dried from sitting about in my very cold house whilst I try to decide how to dispose of it.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Ok, now! Dont get ME started….

I never would have dared say that to my Dad, but he never would have called me a shnook. I don’t think my Dad ever called me, or any of us kids, a derogaory name. He called us other names, nick names and such. I think the high water mark of high school for me was when my Dad gave me the compliment of saying I was a “chesty player.” I am the baby of the family, and he had complimented all of my brothers in that fashion.

JFK should have said “Ich bin Berliner.” When one does not consider the context, it does sound like JFK said “I am a jelly donut.”

FYI: I once knew a young woman who could say “I have no idea” in 12 languages. I wonder how many she’s up to now.

Keine Ahnung.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Ohhhhhh, noooooooooooo! We’re having tacos for dinner!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive