Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

It’s festival time, round up some poor animals!

August 20, 2010

SPAIN/

I hate to get serious here, and I promise I won’t make it a habit, but WTF?

SPAIN/In the past couple of days alone, we’ve had pictures from a festival in Spain where they attach flaming torches to a bull’s horns, as well as photos and video of a bull leaping into the stands and injuring dozens of spectators at a different event in Spain, where “young boys run before the bull trying to avoid being caught.”

All this from the country that brings you the annual running of the bulls in Pamplona, and regular bullfights where morons dressed like Elton John torture animals to death slowly before a cheering mob.

And that’s not to mention Spain’s fiery “purification of the horses,” or the festival where people pull the heads off roosters, and so on and so on.

What exactly is wrong with those people, that every festival has to involve killing, maiming, torturing or frightening poor animals? And what sort of folks put young boys in a ring in front of a bull, anyway?

Are the people over there incapable of just watching Netflix, playing video games or reading The Onion online to pass the time?

SPAIN/And I’d really like to know what happened to the dumbass in this bottom right photo, who appears to be pulling the tail of the bull with the flaming horns.

I can only hope the bull turned around and gave the guy a free hot colonoscopy seconds after this picture was taken, but somehow I doubt it. Life just isn’t that fair.

Top: A bull with flaming horns, known as “bou embolat”, is seen in the bullring during a town festival in Amposta, south of Catalonia, August 18, 2010. REUTERS/Albert Gea

Left: Spectators try to escape after a bull leaped into the stands during a ‘recortadores’ competition in Tafalla August 18, 2010. At least 40 spectators were injured on Wednesday after the bull jumped into the stands during the competition, in which young boys run before the bull trying to avoid being caught. REUTERS/Alberto Galdona

Right: Revelers let a bull with flaming horns, known as “bou embolat”, into a bullring during a town festival in Amposta, south of Catalonia, August 18, 2010. Picture taken August 18, 2010. REUTERS/Albert Gea (

Comments

Maybe when the inquisition ended, they turned to torturing animals for a diversion. I gotta agree, seems like a disproportionate amount of craziness there when it comes to their obsession with bulls.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Also from Spain: The Spanish Inquisition.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

Well, if one is going to dress like Elton John to fight an animal it should at least be something fierce. Would it be the same effect if they were fighting….say…. a Llama?

Dressed like Elton John fighting a Llama. Ole!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Bench, my dear old bench, how lovely to see you again! Bummy bum bum has missed you dearly!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Are the bulls considered terrorists in Spain? That usually justifies torture here in the US. And occassionally, the terrorists do run free and wreak havoc like the bull in the center pic.

Posted by MamaC326 | Report as abusive

Did you just start a new meme, BG?
WTFbulls – kinda like LOLcats, but not.
The captions for the pictures could be:
1. “Hey, doez I look hot now?”
2. “Bullz dontz like no tubaz”
3. “Remember, when the tail goez up, ze poopz come out”

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I’m trying to think of something witty to say involving vuvuzelas…but I’m coming up with nothing. This has never happened to me before. Can someone please pass me a medidonought with extra extra sprinkles?

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Are you sure those aren’t just really big goats, ’cause I think that’s Dave in the last photo, pull-starting his goat to get the horns to light, near the entrance of his cave.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

@Nosmo… I expect to see WTFbulls on YouTube!! :D

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

The bottom pic is actually a pre-production test version of the new Bic Bull-Flick. You just pull the tail, and flames shoot from the horns. Just the thing for getting the BBQ going while tailgating before the big bullfight! I thing the guy in back is getting the grill ready…

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive