Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

And the new Miss Cheap Universe is…

August 23, 2010

USA/

Blog Guy, you’ve been covering the Miss Universe Pageant in Las Vegas, and this is the big day. How’s it going?

Okay I guess, but there are complaints about the cost-cutting. The Pageant is being done on the cheap this year, and it shows.

AUSTRALIA/I wasn’t aware. What does it mean for the contestants?

Instead of being chauffeured around in limousines, they each get a tiny fuel- efficient car to drive.

Ouch. Say, what’s up with that sign, PLEASE NO HEAD ON COLLISIONS?

Haven’t you been to Vegas? Those signs are on every corner, aimed at drivers who lost everything at gambling.

Wow, tough crowd! So how else is the Pageant cutting costs?

MISSUNIVERSE/The free gourmet meals are a thing of the past. You can see the new kebab truck where they have to line up to get their meals.

Very depressing. What about the opulent gift each girl receives just for taking part?

That’s sad. This year, the Pageant is handing each contestant a cheap glass candlestick and telling her it’s an iPhone.

These are smart girls. They won’t  fall for that.

Whatever you say.

Top: Miss Puerto Rico 2010 Mariana Paola Vicente (front) rides a bumper car at Circus Circus in Las Vegas, August 17, 2010. REUTERS/Miss Universe Organization LP, LLLP/Handout

Right: Former Miss Universe Jennifer Hawkins from Australia poses for photographers at the launch of “Lovable” house design summer 2010/2011 collection in Sydney’s Bondi Beach, August 18, 2010. REUTERS/Daniel Munoz

Left: Rozanna Purcell, Miss Ireland 2010, holds a pair of Galway Crystal candlestick holders that she brought as her national gift for the Miss Universe National Gift Auction in Las Vegas, August 14, 2010. Proceeds from the auction will benefit the Nevada Cancer Institute. REUTERS/Miss Universe Organization LP, LLLP/Darren Decker/Handout

Comments

Rozanna, you are supposed to give the other receiver to who you want to talk with, and attach a string, duh!

Posted by MamaC326 | Report as abusive

“Please no head on collusions” … LOL :D :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Where is this “new commenter” notice that everyone is talking about?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ooooohhhhh I see.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Oh and Spin, don’t know if you noticed or not but Mr. B., it seems, has taken off the David Beck”Spiral”ham blog from the most commented blog section. Does that mean I win?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Thanks for blaming me, Pilot, but I have no control over that “most commented on” list. I do know that after a certain period of time an item automatically drops off, because I’ve seen it happen.

This one retired as a winner, a great way to go out….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Spin, if you’ve ever taken your life in your hands and driven in Puerto Rico, Miss PR’s driving makes perfect sense.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Not blaming you Mr. B. Just figured since you were the omnipresent force here, the OE Alpha and Omega, you might have had a hand in it.

Do you not hold the power of the comment edit?

Can you not send that which is not family oriented to the depths of the spam basket?

Are you not the one who blesses the masses with blogs of shoes, bosoms, or helicopters?

Thou can posteth a comment or thou can taketh it away!

All while wrapped up in your snuggie and donning your slippers!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Let’s get serious here just for a moment. I am completely a-tingle with excitement over the “20,000″ gala Reuters is throwing us, and even more chuffed about the red carpet treatment we actual commenters will receive. So I need to know: exactly what shade of red will the carpet be? Could your people forward some e-mail swatches? I don’t want to look washed out when I take my turn. Also, given that the other blogger-babes no doubt get their fashion news from this column, how do we avoid showing up in the same outfit? I’m putting dibs on the mermaid number from some months ago, so Shra, that means it’s still open season on shoes if you act fast.
Oh and Mr. B, about the corsages you will be sending each of us–I’d like mine to be a cream-colored orchid wrist garland.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Lala, I believe the shade is called “Netflix red.”

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Yes pilot, it’s true what you say about the depths of the spam basket and the moderation of comments, but sheer reader reaction creates that “most commented on” list….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Yes Mr. B. the faithful will give rise to the most commented on blog but does not your vengence reach as far as to smite it down? You have seen it happen because in the OE world You. See. All.

@Spin… David Beck”Certainly not kosher”ham being hotter than a crocodile is dependant on the weather. Being a mammal he remains a steady 98.6 farenheit core temp. A croc being cold blooded is whatever the ambient enviroment is. So some days a croc could be hotter, others not.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@CW-T-3: Welcome to the world of Odd!

Now, now, quit whining kids. How do you know you aren’t a new commenter? Is one of your alterate personalities finally getting a chance to emerge? Have you eaten too many donuts and only think you posted a comment? Who am I and what am I DOING here???

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

The depths of spam… Is that when the Spam cubes sink to the bottom of the cream sauce while the peas float on top?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I think no head on collisions is asking an awful lot. Frankly …ah…no….I’ll refrain for now…..sometimes it’s hard….but we must…..

Posted by onequartlow | Report as abusive

Lady! Ah you see.. I am waiting for a sale to appear on the Jimmy Choos I drooled over the other day… they are cream heels, very sleek and stylish… So, there you go…
Mr.B.. what time is the courier gonna arrive?

Unca, slither over to the gift blog, one Odd flight up. Snakey commentssssss are there.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I heard Freud chuckling in the background, Unca.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Spoiler alert: Miss Mexico won. She had the best 3-point turn and parallel parking skills. Miss USA lost because she was too busy speeding all while flipping people off shouting “Hey Imma drivin here!”

It would seem as if Michigan drivers are as bad as New Yorkers! That true Spin?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Well yeah, Spin, that’s true up to a point, unless they’re active in the Alumni Association…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

ifly: I think that depends where you are driving in the states (MI and NY). Oh, there are plenty worse drivers in this neck of the woods. Someone ran into the light post across from my apt. one night. The post comes out of the sidewalk. Then again, drivers have managed to drive into a couple of the buildings here, too. One of them at least twice. Buildings. Big. Brick. Not in the street…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Sorry Spin, I thought you were the one with MI roots. Dunno why I thought that. So many people, so many places! My ginkobiloba deprived memory can’t handle it all!

Onedoor, so let’s just say then Miss USA encompasses all the bad drivers of the 50 states. She is an amalgamation of everyones bad habits. She was then put into a bumper car and told to have fun. The end result was so horrific that the video was taken, excorcised, burned, doused with holy water, then buried in sacred ground.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Mr. B said netflix red he he he he

Posted by ochoo | Report as abusive

I havent learn to drive yet… But I can ride a motorbike! Does that make me a biker chic? Maybe Jimmy Choos has biker boots too…

Spin, there would definitely be Christmas sales… thats what I am looking forward to!!!!
Though yes, there are the sales in July and August.. summer sales and then the autumn sales in October… and then the half price sale on Boxing Day and then the clearance sales in January…. And then the Spring sales in April!

Take your pick!

ifly: Woo hoo! Sorry I didn’t get to see the video.

Shra: You get to be whatever you want. Go find some wild chic boots!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Thanks, One! Almost forgot that I do have biker boots.. Knee length black leather! Yeeeeeehaw!

Wow. Very surprised to see that our spam filter allowed the phrase “knee length black leather.”

It must be in a good mood today.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Shra care to model said knee length black leather biker boots? ;)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I think it depends on who posts it… right Mr.B!

Oh, btw, turns out Mr.B owns a clothing line as well.. Proof should be posted shortly!!

You kept that little bit of information from us, eh BG?

That would be fun, Spin!!
I’ll just grab my bag and be on my way.
You see, its sooo hard to find good instructors these days and hey..where did all this water come from!!!!

I sure hop so, Spin! ;)
Darn this pond!

I would be more than happy to provide driving lessons! Being that I am the worlds best driver after all, and a former driving instructor at that. ;)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I dont know about you being the World’s best driver, Mr.Pilot… I would think you are a good driver and maybe, an even better pilot..
But yeah…I think you would do just fine… :D

The worlds best Shra…it’s just the rest of the world does not know it. Cause I don’t like to brag. :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Awww, arent you modest, Mr.Pilot!!! :)