Snug as a flub in a rug?

September 7, 2010

OBAMA/

Blog Guy, did you read about the problem with that brand-new rug in the Oval Office, with the great American quotes woven along the edge?

oval rug crop 360Yes, you’re talking about the embarrassing error over one of the quotes:

“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice,” is attributed to Martin Luther King, Jr. on the rug, but it turns out King was quoting Theodore Parker, a 19th century abolitionist and Unitarian minister.

Here you can see part of that quote in the photo on the right. It looks like somebody didn’t do enough homework.

How unfortunate. What’s another quote on the rug?

“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”

Very inspirational. Hey Blog Guy, can you list ALL of the rug’s great American quotes?

Sure, here they are, a rug-full of Americana:

“Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job!”

“I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

“Go ahead, make my day.”

rug quote parker 220“I’m not a doctor, but I play one on TV.”

“You had me at hello…”

“It’s a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford…”

“They’re after me Lucky Charms!”

Nevermore!

“If it doesn’t fit, you must acquit.”

“Lucy, you got some splainin’ to do!”

Thank you so much, Blog Guy, that gave me goose bumps. I do recognize the rest of the quotes, but please remind me who said, “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”

Um, according to the rug it was Yogi Berra.

Top: The redecorated Oval Office of U.S. President Barack Obama has new carpeting, wallpaper and sofas. August 31, 2010. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

Left: Theodore Parker, circa 1850

And I thought you said you were looking at shoes and Mr.Fab Abs…

I am disappointed, Mr.B… VERY disappointed…

Like that’s never happened before.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Ted Parker huh? Is he, like, related to Sarah Jessica Parker, who once said ‘Balls are to men what purses are to women’.
Can we add that to the rug?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Mind you, SJP also said ‘I love the smell of diapers; I even like when they’re wet and you smell them all warm liked a baked good’.
Mental note: If ever invited to Sarah’s place, DO NOT try the Calzone.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

A true fan you are, unca. Methinks BG has been sneaking you extra doughnuts?

I think Shra should be a fashion designer. Then she could have her designs walk the runway on Size 0 models with fab shoes and be the object of BG’s witty snipes.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Sure Cam, a model with a taser. What could possibly go wrong?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Nah uh, CAM.. I aint gonna use Size 0 models.. my models would be healthy medi donut eating ones… oh, and they wont get my taser… but they would definitely have the boots I design… :D

What was wrong with the old rug? Was it worn out? Did they auction the old one and put the money toward the deficit or did it go to Pakistan? I thought we were going to have transparent, accountable government? So how much did this rug cost the taxpayers of this nation?

Posted by Bdy2010 | Report as abusive

“I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!”

“Where’s the beef?”

@justCAM…model sniping, sounds like a fun new sport! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Those look like convertible sofas to me. You know, for unexpected overnight guests.

“No, Mr. Premier, you can’t stay in the Lincoln Bedroom. But just let me have Michelle throw some sheets on the convert-a-bed here and you’ll be all set! They’re very comfortable. Believe me, I know!”

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

It’s like George Washington said: “You can’t fool all the people all the time.”

Posted by KansasErik | Report as abusive

So how do they fix the rug? Move the sofa over the boo-boo? Put duct tape on it? Soak it in red wine and blame it on President Sarkozy’s last visit to the Oval Office? Place an Afghan (a blanket, not Karzai) over it? Give it to the Salvation Army (no puns intended)?
Education reform can’t come soon enough …

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

“I guess you can’t go home. But you can shop there.”

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Wonderful suggestions, Slick. I had figured we would see lots of duct tape – the good kind, with the presidential seal – but I now understand he’ll just leave the problem to President Palin….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

There’s no error there. Clearly, the quote can be attributed to both men. This is the stupidest news story I have ever read on Reuters.

Posted by Luke_Don | Report as abusive

Are we really gonna let Luke off with just a warning?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Well, he hasnt taught or preached anything…. so, yeah…
But he gets a whack for saying what he said.. Sorry, Luke.. if you dont like it.. the door is everywhere..

Luke, come back to the blog! Eventually you will read one that is even more stupid! Until you do, you will find some that make you grin, make you groan, make you giggle and otherwise lighten your mood. Have a donut.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Oh Ondoor, always the wise one, the nice one, the sensitive one.

Remind me WTF you’re doing here?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@RB: LOL :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Wow Onedoor that’s almost poetic! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Luke (or is it Don? who the heck has two first names?) Obviously, you have not read very many postings here on the OEBN. There are some that are WAY more stupider.

I am curious though, how can a quote be attributed to 2 people separated by years? Unless, of course, you can prove the second guy never saw the first guy’s quote and came up with exactly the same words all on his own? How would you go about doing that? No! Don’t answer, that would constitute learning, then Shra would have to tase you.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Dave, thinking about your point of having two names perhaps he just didn’t know how to spell lucky.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I’m having one heck of a good time here, BG!

And there’s nothing wrong with 2 names.
Love,
Sister Merry Bambi

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

And in all this ruckus, people forgot Bdy2010.. who raised a few important issues… that frankly do NOT belong here…

I feel we are soo good at driving away sensible commentors.. come on BG, arent we a loyal bunch?

Shra, a ruckus? We didn’t hear a ruckus? Could you describe the ruckus?

Onedoor, Sister Merry Bambi eh? The images that name conjours is not of the divine. :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

You were in medidonut comatose, Mr.Pilot… the ruckus was very loud….

Ah Shra, you missed The Breakfast Club reference. :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Spin, you bought yourself another Saturday! We could keep going. You want another one? Say the word, just say the word!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ah, another American snippet, I believe?

[...] 2. Snug as a flub in a rug? [...]