Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Putting the pull back in polo?

September 11, 2010

WATER POLO

Today we have what may be the mother of all editions of our popular regular feature, “Stuff Maybe We Should Have Mentioned in the Photo Caption, but didn’t.”

WATER POLO/What you’re seeing here are photos from our coverage of the recent European Water Polo Championships in Zagreb.

Amazingly, none of the actual captions found room to mention that a tactic of the women’s games appears to be pulling your opponent’s swimsuit down to expose, you know, lots of stuff.

As usual, I’ve had to employ irritating rectangular bars in these photos to protect my readers. But rest assured, without the bars you’d be seeing a whole lot more here than water polo.

WATER POLO/I have no way of knowing whether this is par for the course in this sport, or an unusual level of such exposure.

The cynic in me says this was orchestrated in a blatant attempt to leapfrog over soccer, football and baseball and make women’s water polo the world’s most popular sporting event overnight.

The only other explanation I can think of, given our cavalier approach to the number of photos like this, is that these are actually the more conservative shots from the matches, as opposed to all the others, where entire swimsuits were pulled off in a frantic polo-induced frenzy.

Top: Ildiko Toth (R) of Hungary fights for a ball with Matilde Ortiz of Spain during their European Water Polo Championships preliminary match in Zagreb, September 2, 2010.

Left: Claudia Blomenkamp of Germany (L) fights for the ball with Lorana Miranda of Spain during their European Water Polo Championships preliminary match in Zagreb August 31, 2010.

Claudia Blomenkamp of Germany (R) fights for a ball with Blanca Gil of Spain during their European Water Polo Championships preliminary match in Zagreb August 31,2010.

REUTERS photos by Laszlo Balogh

Comments

Imma let you finish, but Beyonce is the best water polo player ever.

This is just another example of the Spanish athletes torturing helpless creatures.

Posted by KWest | Report as abusive

Welllll, at least you changed the annoying bar color. I still would not mind risking the breast blindness disease you are so bent on protecting us from, but hey, I understand this is a “family” blog. I would just hate to see the family that spends its time reading this stuff….

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Each caption claims the players “fight for the ball” yet there is no ball present, only melons.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Dave, what great conversations the blog could create over family dinner.

“No daughter of mine is playing water polo without a full body wet suit!”

“Mom, how come all those women have band aids on them? Did they get hurt playing polo?”

“Honey, Jr. and I are going to a water polo match and then to Hooters for some wings… Water wings?”

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

You sure they playing water polo and not water wrestling??

Look Dave, do you know what it costs me to buy those rectangles,and then get the swimmers to wear them long enough for the shots?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

You’d have thought that with all you pay for them, they could have come up with some ethically appropriate bars though, Mr B.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

How were these not ethically appropriate, Knit?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

You try pulling reuters approved giant sticking plaster off your nips and tell me it’s ethical. I meant ethnically, as in colour matched.

I dunno, it takes half an hour to load a page and then OE goes and steals my ‘n’ and makes me incomprehensible.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

knit_nurse it was the Great Spam Basket Filter that stole your ‘n’!! It’s evolving, learning to not just take whole comments but to alter them at will!

It’s gonna want to play a game next! Nooooooo!!!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

OK, so if it’s water polo, where are the horses, big stick things and Prince Charles?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Prince Charles is chasing down the ice cream truck!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive