Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Eat, Pray, Read?

September 13, 2010

FASHION/

Blog Guy, you’re smiling today. You must have seen something amusing, huh?

USA/I sure did. You know how sometimes I imply that fashion models aren’t, you know, geniuses? Like maybe they don’t have to think a lot to do that job?

Anyway, guess what? I saw a model reading a book on one of those electronic devices at New York Fashion Week.

And here comes the really good part. I got close enough to see that she was reading a book called “Eat, Pray, Love.”

I’m not keeping up with you here, Blog Guy. So?

Sigh. Do I have to explain everything to you? She’s reading the BOOK, but there’s already a MOVIE of it that came out a month ago!

So you see, it’s no longer necessary to bother with the book, but she didn’t even KNOW that, the stupid model!

Blog Guy, many people prefer to read a book before they see the movie, or maybe even instead of seeing the movie.

fashion book crop this 320Oh really? Sure. Now you’re just being defensive.

I’m guessing you accidentally read something like “Charlotte’s Web” or “Pride and Prejudice” before you found out you didn’t have to because there’s already a movie, and now you’re embarrassed. Well I don’t blame you, chump!

Top: A model reads a book using an electronic device before the Lacoste Spring 2011 collection during New York Fashion Week September 11, 2010. REUTERS/Kena Betancur

Left: Actress and cast member Julia Roberts arrives for the premiere of “Eat Pray Love” in New York August 10, 2010. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

Comments

Well, I wouldnt bother with either.. that is the book or the movie…

I see what I want and I am trying to take in every detail of it…
And before a choicest few gutterbrains (You know who you are!) say anything… I meant the shoeeeeeeeess!!!

Unfortunately I read the book. It was…well, needless to say I won’t be seeing the movie. The only lucky thing about it was being given the book, as opposed to having bought it.

I’ll be seeing Metroplis (restored!) this weekend though. Now that’s a film I’ll spend my nearly non-existant money on!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Never heard of film or book. Vaguely heard of actress lady. Am I leading too sheltered a life to join the OE Blog?

Posted by ExpatP | Report as abusive

Probably not, judging from your name. I, too, lived the expat life for many years, and you can lose track of pop culture pretty quickly.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

To which shoes do you refer, Shra? I like the ones on top, but then again, I’m a boy. What do I know? ;-)

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

BG, I’m actually going to see that movie tonight with some friends. I was going to see it earlier (since it has been out about 4 weeks now) but I waited to see it with these ladies, on the brightside, I think my theatre coupons will be valid for it now.

Egeria, Metropolis (restored) was just here in my town, and I missed it! I hope you enjoy it!

Posted by PetPunkRock | Report as abusive

Jib! Take a look at what Julia is wearing… :P

Are you guys nuts? Do you know that Metropolis movie is like at least 20 years old? I don’t even think it has CGI or 3-D or anything. Save your money for the movie version of Justin Bieber’s memoirs….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I’m an expat…guess that explains why I want to see the restored Metropolis so badly huh Baz? Why, as an ex-pat I must not be in my right mind! Which is exactly how I like it!

;)

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

The childrens version is available too on a “straight to DVD”. It’s entitled “Eat, Sleep, Poop”.

Jibberish, yer back!

Mr. B. there is already a song written about Justin Beiber’s memoirs called “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”. I want to say there is a movie adaptation of that also but I am not sure.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Is Pride and Prejudice like a new movie version of the book Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I read the book and will pass on the movie. Saw Metropolis a few years ago when one of my friends had it and it was pretty interesting.
Eat, Pray go see Metropolis!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Yeah, I saw plenty of Metropolis back when Superman used to live there. That’s enough for me.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Spin!! I did mean I likkeeeeeeee the shooess!!
CG, imma waiting for those chocolate stilletoes you see…

A model reading??? Wow :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Now now, Mr. Fwd… lets not get all judgemental on them. ok? ;)

@CrowGirl – Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I put my hand up to admit I have actually read it. But only after I found out that Sir Elton John had bought the rights to make a musical based on it. He is seriously considering making it an ‘Ice Spectacular’ and bringing it to America.
That’s right, Pride and Predjudice and Zombies on Ice on Broadway.
Oh, by the way, don’t buy or read the book, it is just plain silly.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Too late, Nosmo, I own it. I liked it, but I’m an Austen fan. Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters is funnier though.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I once took a single-author seminar on Austen. The 9th level of Hell consists of standing in excrement up to one’s eyebrows and having to read Austen’s novels (except for “Persuasion”)on coffee breaks.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

@Shra: As you say, my lady…

*bows down in old fashioned royal style*

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Now doesnt that feel good…
Thank you, Mr.Fwd… I feel like a princess for the day..
Not a skinny model princess though…
Think this should have been mentioned in the book… Feel like a princess for a day… :)

Doc, I’m not an unconditional fan – Mansfield Park is crap.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

On that, I agree CG…

Nah, Spin, you’re thinking of the sequel; Mansfield Parks.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive