Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Can a pilot get some RESPECT?

September 16, 2010

wreath top 490

Blog Guy, I know you keep a close eye on military maneuvers around the world. Are there any going on now?

Just the usual nonstop war games in South Korean waters. Those are pretty dramatic.

KOREA/In what way?

They simulate North Korea’s ¬†strategy of dropping enormous Christmas decorations, especially wreaths, onto naval vessels to try to sink them. Have a look at these new photos.

Wow! I had no idea! Has this gone on for a long time?

Sure. That’s why Memorial Day used to be called Decoration Day.

What is the ultimate goal of North Korea’s brutal but festive tactic?

They hope to lure two specific ships, the aircraft carrier USS Franklin and the British minesweeper HMS Franklin. Every North Korean pilot wants to…

WAIT! Don’t go there! Please!

Wreath a Franklin….

Top: South Korean Marine Corps’ amphibious vehicles take part in a mock landing operation in the sea off Incheon, west of Seoul, September 15, 2010. The operation marked the 60th anniversary of the U.S.-led United Nations troops’ Incheon Landing Operations during the 1950-1953 Korean War.

Left: South Korean Marine Corps’ amphibious vehicles and the Navy’s Landing Platform Helicopter ship ‘Dokdo’ (behind) take part in a mock landing operation in the sea off Incheon, west of Seoul, September 15, 2010.

REUTERS photos by Jo Yong-Hak

Comments

Amazing pictures of a horrible stuff

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Mr.Pilot.. a blog for you!!!

I like those wreaths…. forget the destruciton.. they are simply nice to look at..

Gotta say those look more like a giant chocolate version of Tim Horton’s Honey Creuller doughnuts to me – without any medi-sprinkles though.
Dave may be able to confirm this theory, after he’s fed the goats.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I have to say I have no idea what kind of munition that is. Very strange.

Back safely in my cave in Kandahar. Anybody willing to help a brother out with some medi-donuts? No? Nevermind, I’ll hit the Tim Horton’s tomorrow.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

@ Dave: I don’t think the word *safely* is the one I’d have used for where you are mate. I’m new here and I’ve not yet worked out what all this doughnut business is about, and what Tim Horton’s may be I’ve not the foggiest. Anyway whatever they are, enjoy them, you’ve earned them. Cheers.

Posted by ExpatP | Report as abusive

Expat… we all have medidoughnuts… from MR.B’s doughnut shop… these doughnuts are special coz they have meddies in them… you know.. like Prozac and Xanax… its what keeps us sane and getting through our days… some days when we are not happy on our own, we take 1 (or howevermany) doughnuts needed to get us to our “Happy Place”…

Apart from this, I guess you will have to google Tim Horton’s coz telling you what that is is equivalent to teaching which is banned here… You will get to know the works soon if you stick around… :)

If they got different colored smoke we could have fireworks during the day. No more grouchy children just to see a few fireworks.

Posted by ijnewtonmm | Report as abusive

@ExpatP … Basically, the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop (Bob’s creation) sells these wonderfully medicated doughnuts, e.g., chocolate cream-filled w/Xanax sprinkles, etc. Regular readers here at the OE asylum find it easier to ingest our meds in doughnut form. Beware of Shra’s zapper. She may find this post too serious/educational for her liking and ZAP me.

KR,

justCAM

As far as the pictures, this could be a new course for the Red Bull racers. You know, fly through all the doughnut holes.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

@Nosmo – timely post. I will check on the creullers and get back to you, but I need a Shra taser mulligan, as that would be very close to learning something.

@ExpatP – not so bad here. Tim Horton’s is a donut business that operates on Kandahar Airfield. Good donuts.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

So the Great Spam Basket Filter doesn’t like when I express my happiness over stuff going boom. Or it’s mad at me for slipping through my edible panties and chocolate stilettos comment on the other blog.

Such a tempermental Great Spam Basket Filter.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Sorry ifly, the Spam Filter says you should be thanking it for saving you from posting a message saying “things go boom-boom.”

I have to agree with the Filter on this one – that doesn’t seem to offer much to readers of our comments.

And no, the Filter doesn’t hold grudges.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

What tipped you off, Spin, the headline?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Wow. Full marks to Mr Yong-Hak; those pictures are beautiful.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Ok ok I shall mind myself. No hard feeling eh Great Spam Basket Filter?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive