Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Care for some more folk vodka?

September 20, 2010

BELARUS/

Blog Guy, you have access to news from all over the world, and you should do more to celebrate other cultures. As times change, we need to reflect on old values and traditions.

ethnographic still 300You’re right. Today we’ll have a look at an ethnographic festival in a village in Belarus.

Thanks. So what are they doing at this ethnographic festival? Folk dancing? Playing traditional music?

They’re making vodka. The caption says people gather “to remember the old ways of life with different kinds of handicrafts.”

That seems odd, Blog Guy. Whenever I drink homemade vodka I don’t even remember my name, much less “the old ways of life.” What does “ethnographic” mean, anyhow?

BELARUS/It must be another word for homemade vodka.

Can you show us anything from this festival besides jugs of hooch?

Yeah. Here is a “national emblem made from vegetables.”

Can you imagine how much of this ethnographic stuff you’d have to drink before you’d want to make one of those?

Impress your nephew. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

Top and right: Men make homemade vodka during an ethnographic festival in the village of Liaskovichi, Belarus, September 17, 2010. During the two-day festival, people gather to remember the old ways of life with different kinds of handicrafts which were used in the last few centuries.

Left: A man sleeps next to a national emblem made from vegetables during the ethnographic festival.

REUTERS photos by Vasily Fedosenko

Comments

Ahh… Vodka… now that is something that I could drink anytime…
Thought of getting an Absolute from Sweden… guess what, its more expensive there than in Edinburgh!!!

Oh, and whats with the “Impress your nephew” tagline?
What’s that for? Am I missing a point from dreaming about homemade vodka, Russian Standard?

Do they really want to strike a match to light that lantern so near to those barrels? That is precious liquid.

Posted by PetPunkRock | Report as abusive

He Who Walks Behind the Rows must really like vodka…

He Who Walks Between the Rows is more partial to fruit punch though…

Dude…I’m on a roll with my references today. Have I mentioned that I rock?

Posted by justK | Report as abusive

Looks like the guy sitting behind the Veggie Plate had too much ethnographic beverages!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

@Pet – That’s to start the evening’s fireworks show.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

@All – I’ll get some marshmallows for toasting on what’s left of the barrels of you’ll bring some grham crackers. who’s got the chocolate?

Posted by PetPunkRock | Report as abusive

My twin 21 month old nephews are impressed by the ability of the family dog to eat all the food they drop to the floor. You think my being a part of the Oddly Enough blog network is gonna trump that?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@Ifly – When you think about it, is there really any difference?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Surely, that’s an emblem made from vegetables, fruit, flowers and grain?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Of course that is an emblem, CG… Wouldnt be anything else would it?

Oh, he’s just preparing for Vodtoberfest, which is coming up soon.
Or is it Vodstock?
And then on to Vodkapalooza, rounding out with a trip to England and the ever-popular Glastnostbury.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Just being picky. The caption says it’s made from veg.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@PetPunkRock, I will raid the f-in Hersheys factory to get chocolate for some s’mores!!

@Jazz, I dunno they really do get a kick out of watching the dog clean up the floor.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive