Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

The world’s most dangerous sport?

September 25, 2010

CHINA/

Blog Guy, can you please settle a bet with my haberdasher’s chimney sweep?

That’s why I’m here, to settle stupid bets. What is it this time?

hokey pokey vertical 220What is the most dangerous game in the world? I say it’s Floppy Clown Shoe Minefield Parachuting, but the chimney sweep thinks it’s Lightning Storm Aluminum Pacemaker Pole Vaulting. Who’s right?

Neither of you. It’s Hokey Pokey Russian Roulette, as seen here in a photo from the recent world finals.

Hang on a second, Blog Guy. I know you’re an authority on the hokey pokey, and we’ve read here about Naked Hokey Pokey, Handcuff Hokey Pokey and Artillery Shell Hokey Pokey.

But I’m not familiar with this game at all, and it doesn’t look so dangerous to me.

Oh yeah? Just wait another two minutes until they release the Hand Grenade Monkeys. As the song says, “That’s what it’s all about…” Say, why does your haberdasher need a chimney sweep, anyway?

To care for his stovepipe hats. What else?

Armed policemen from the Special Weapons and Tactics unit participate in an anti-terrorism drill in Beijing, September 23, 2010. REUTERS/Petar Kujundzic

Comments

Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic… That would be a very short game.

I think they are both just asking for a toilet break. How would you like to stand like that for hours on end with no break? Oh the inhumanity!

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Yeah Dave, I thought about pointing out that they’re playing the Semi-Automatic One-in-the-Chamber variation of the Hokey Pokey game, but it involved too much explanation.

Also, in fairness to the sport, it turns out competitors are allowed to choose their own weapon, and these guys just aren’t very bright.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I would like to think they are performing an ancient dance..
In ancient times, they would have used swords, spears, or even stones…
now, they use semi-automatics…
Tradition with a twist….

Other captions:

“It’s a spider! Shoot it, shoot it!”

“If you don’t lay still we are going to slap you silly.”

Had some great cartoon visuals on the Floppy Clown Shoe event. ACME shoes at their floppiest:) Thanks for the grin, BG.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Talk about being afraid of your own shadow!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I can’t decide which of these is the most made of genius:-

- Floppy Clown Shoe Minefield Parachuting
- Release the Hand Grenade Monkeys
- To care for his stovepipe hats

Thank you VERY much Mr B, that’s brightened my week considerably. :D

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Thank YOU, Crow… Your kind words have brightened my week considerably, as well.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Two of Beijing’s crack road inspection team discover a piece of road that is completely devoid of potholes, and are about to rectify the situation.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

“Drop your weapon and get down on the ground!”

“No YOU drop YOUR weapon and get down on the ground!”

“Ok how about we do it together? On three. Ready? One.. two…”

“Wait wait… do you mean ON three or three then drop our weapons?”

“I’m getting to old for this sh…”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

You’re right–these guys are really, really stupid. They don’t even know how the hokey-pokey works. You NEVER put your left foot in and your right arm in at the same time.

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

And they are not even shaking anything all around! :D