Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

A cosmetic solution to our differences?

September 29, 2010

UN-ASSEMBLY/

Blog Guy, as a Washington DC insider you’re an expert on high-level diplomacy. I hear countries have little ways of showing degrees of displeasure through diplomatic contact. Is that true?

Of course. Our own Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is a gold medal pro at this tactic. Here she is talking with the President of Turkey, while putting on lipstick. Does it look like she gives a crap what he’s saying?

hillary crop side 340Wow! So whenever she’s displeased, out comes the old tube of lipstick?

No. For subtle diplomacy, she needs a whole range of ploys. The lipstick is about in the middle.

What does she have that’s worse?

Well, to show that she’s slightly angrier than a lipstick break, Clinton may floss her teeth during a conversation. Beyond flossing, she has pimple maintenance and hair curlers.

I see. And what is the most extreme, when she’s really, really pissed?

clinton face crop 240Ah. That one involves a place to sit down and some big honking toenail clippers. It means we’re probably going to war.

Top: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton pauses to put on lipstick while talking with Turkey’s President Abdullah Gul (R) at the start of a United Nations Security Council meeting at the U.N. headquarters in New York, September 23, 2010.

Right: Clinton puts on lipstick while talking to Gul (back to camera) September 23, 2010.

REUTERS photos by Jessica Rinaldi

Comments

That’s some serious stuff, BG… It sure is….
Does Merkel use similar tactics?

She was following State Department protocol and was checking to see if the person she was talking to was in fact a vampire.
If she couldn’t see his reflection in the mirror, she would have made the recommended goofy face, thus signalling the State Department security guys to break out the garlic.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

You got another job in your kitty, Spin? Would suggest you have one in case, your boss starts clipping his green toenails… just to be on the safe side really.. :)

Put on lipstick *while* talking to Turkish President?

Something sticky going on there?? :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Dear Secretary of State Clinton,
No amount of makeup is gonna help that mug.
Sincerely,
iflydaplanes

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I’m only guessing, but if old Abdullah had been built a little more on the “male model” side of things, that conversation may have taken a slightly different turn.

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Nice one @Nosmo. I know some of those DSS guys, and they are all but vampires themselves.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Seems to me the chap on the left has own diss-tactics: notice he’s holding his dance card close to his chest so Hillary can’t see it’s half-empty. And here the poor girl wore her blue dress, special, just to match his tie. The cad.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

she was trying to seduce him, gul responded by showing the picture of the turkish girl he had met at the bar last night.

Posted by Shukla | Report as abusive

She’s just getting ready for the 2012 presidential elections …

p.s. Obama is out of lipstick

Posted by misterliu | Report as abusive

Looks like someone has nothing better to do than write, and publish, garbage such as this. Yes, I did take my time to read it, and it was about the 3rd time I have read anything under this Oddly Enough section. Yet, I had the naive notion that what I was going to read was something more factual than what turned out to be more immature right wing make believe. The most amazing, and disappointing thing to me is that Reuters chooses to publish this stuff.

Posted by ayesee | Report as abusive

@ayesee … We happen to like this garbage, thank you very much. When we want something serious, we’ll visit your blog, OK?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Turkish President should have a mirror and mustache brush for meetings with U.S. emissaries.

Posted by SanPa | Report as abusive

I’d like to see Obama try that tactic. (Perhaps Michelle needs a brush-up on diplomacy from Hillary?)

Posted by DisgustedReader | Report as abusive

@ayesee, your first mistake was thinking anything written on this blog is factual. Your second mistake is assuming and accusing this blog of being “immature right wing make believe”. Yes, this blog is make believe that part is true which is what makes it fun, but to judge it as “immature right wing” is grossly naive and makes me believe you are a left-wing liberal tree hugging hippie.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

@ayesee… you would be correct! Indeed, there is nothing better to do than read, and I’m sure Blog Guy would agree with you, write the Oddly Enough blog. Somebody get ayesee some medidonuts STAT! Looks like they got a case of the sobers.

Posted by drgnbait | Report as abusive

@allthatjazz. “And here I thought that it was Monica that needed to touch up her lipstick after “diplomacy”.” ha, ha!! Best comment seen on this site in months!! Bravo!! You too Hillary… great “diplomacy”!! …….

Posted by cynicalme | Report as abusive

Sorry, got a little carried away but nobody puts baby in a corner!

Or makes fun of the OE blog! Gets my blood a’boilin!

Apologize to Mr. Spam Basket Filer for the organic carrot remark for me if you could please Mr. B.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

They guy Hillary is slighting is Turkey’s Prime Minister Erdogan. His party is an Islamist party that is moving Turkey away from being a secular country and toward the kind of Islam that seeks to force “modesty” upon women by having them covered up, and granting them very little rights, if any. Wearing lipstick would not be considered “modest,” lest applying it disdainfully to the leader of a Muslim country.
Good for you, Hillary!
This picture needs to be memorialized and placed in places that advocate women’s rights. lol

Posted by loveissupreme | Report as abusive

Correction. Sorry, I said the guy was PM Erdogan. It is, in fact, President Abdullah of Turkey. The rest is correct.

Way to go, Hillary!

Posted by loveissupreme | Report as abusive

Dear Ayesee, honey, I sense your inner torment. I too am a delicate, bewildered spirit, often bruised to the core by the brutish insensitivity characterized by this sweating, torn undershirt of a blog. My chief comfort is my paper lantern. That, and the kindness of strangers. Sweet boy, I know you will find your way. If not, just hop that Streetcar…

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Look Ayesee, you have visited the blog 3 times now.. havent you understood how this operates? I mean, you need some memory boosters, dear!

And you shall have your first free dose in the form of a taser zap!

@Ayesee:

I seriously view your level of intellect to be that of a kindergarten kid.

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

ayesee…does NOT see. Poor choice of a screen name m’dear. I’d feel sorry for ya but I wouldn’t want to waste my time.

Baz, any chance you could find out what shade of lipstick Hilary’s wearing?

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Thanks, everybody, but I can handle criticism. What I can’t understand is what part of this struck this person as “right wing.”

Really?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Right wing….left wing….the only wings I’m concerned with are the ones I get from KFC! Pay day today…might treat myself this weekend.

There you go again Baz…making me crave food!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

@E… have your tried the Double Down from KFC? Oh man that thing is sooooo good but sooooo bad for ya! It’s a million calories of awesomeness! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

ifly…Double Down? Is that like the Double Double at Tims?

I’m partial to the Boneless Banquet myself. Mmmmmmm chicken!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

@E, I do not know what a Double Double at Tims is. Unca hasn’t invited me over for dinner yet.

A Double Down is a chicken sandwich where the bread has been replaced by two pieces of chicken! In between said two pieces of chicken are two pieces of cheese and two strips of bacon. Then it’s smothered in a spicy sauce that adds a nice zing to the whole deal. Give it a try! Just keep in mind that the caloric intake is enough to satisfy your dietary needs for a week. :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

ifly…that sounds….disturbingly good :/ I’m concerned for my sanity!

Say…you just learned me something!! Good thing Shra would never taser you!!

:))

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Now, I wouldnt say that E… Mr.Pilot, it has to be done.. not only did E learn something, I am tempted to go and see if my local KFC has this dish of million calories of awesomeness….

And for these 2 crimes (you know what I mean.. ) you have to be zapped…
The taser has no favourites!!

Wow, I somehow missed the Ayesee troll. I can’t understand why anyone would read a truth in advertising notice that says “News, but not the serious type” and expect Walter Cronkite. (Sorry BG, you’re close, but not quite the same).

Glad to see Shra had the taser ready and charged. Now if only there was a KFC close by, instead of just a herd of goats. Thanks @ifly.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

E, is describing death by food really educational though? :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Was Mr.Cronkite really the most trusted man in America?

ify, it’s only educational because I (unintentionally) learned something new. I know we’re supposed to do that once a day but really, I try to avoid it when I can.

Shra, great minds think alike! I was gonna casually stroll by my local KFC and glance at the menu board tomorrow. For curiousity sake of course.

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

So, am I E… just around lunchtime would be a good idea to browse… dontcha think…. ;)

Absolutely Shra. I may go a wee hour before lunch though to beat the crowds. Dublin…at lunch time…on a Saturday is not my idea of fun!!

o_O

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

It’s ok Spin, it was well worth it. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive