One picture is worth two or three words…

September 30, 2010

AUSTRIA/

Johnson, get your butt in my office! You call yourself a news photographer?

What is it this time, Boss?

I sent you out to get a simple headshot of someone and here is your full, uncropped photo… I’m not making this up.

See, in journalism, headshot refers to the WHOLE head. Your photo makes her look like one of those “Kilroy Was Here” cartoons American soldiers used to draw.

Kilroy was hereDo you follow my complaint, Johnson?

I think I do, Boss. I should have had her nose and hands in the photo as well, to look even more like Kilroy.

No. I’m saying a few readers might wish to see details such as her mouth and chin!

Ah. I should have asked her to stand on a chair so her whole head would be in the photo, right?

I’m trying very hard not to strangle you, Johnson. Why didn’t you just FRAME it so her whole face showed?

Boss, you told me to shoot it at a 500th of a second. That’s so fast! YOU try doing something in a 500th of a second, and see how well you do it!

Head of Austrian Green Party Eva Glawischnig listens during a news conference ahead of regional elections in Vienna September 29, 2010. Vienna regional elections take place on October 10, 2010. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger

Engraving of Kilroy on World War II Memorial, Washington, DC

And in the Looney Tunes cartoon. Usually with Marvin the Martian or whenever Bugs Bunny went to Mars. In the backround there was always a rock or something that had “Killjoy was here”. A funny little easter egg.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Hah! “Head of Austrian Green Party…” Pun intended?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

If she doesn’t don’t do well in the upcoming election, you can recycle the photo with a caption like “Green’s head out of the picture”.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Ok, I’m officially worried.
The boss has been smiling at me for the past week and just did it again.
Clearly he knows something I don’t.
My boss is a nice old guy, but in most respects, he is dumber than a bag of hammers, so if he knows something I don’t, this can only be very bad.
Gulp.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Uh, yeah, Nosmo.

Actually your boss said he’s been reading the blog and your comments in particular, and has decided to become a regular reader. This is awkward.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Mr. B. if Nosmos boss had decided to become a regular reader maybe we can get some corporate sponsorship for the OE bash!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Good idea. Of course, I believe Nosmos works directly for Satan. Will that be a problem for anybody?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Can Nosmo get me a cheap deal on buying my soul back ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

No way. You see, Crow, your soul was part of a bulk deal for the souls of everybody who comments on this blog. If we tried to get yours back, we’d have to do the same for everybody. We regret any inconvenience caused, and your call is important to us.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Hey Nosmo, how is old Beezlebub doing anyway?

BG, I think he’s already hosting the party here. I’ll pass on the next one.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Now now wait a min! I didnt do a deal with anyone about my soul… If Satan has it, I want it back!!!

That said, I want that OE bash too…

Does everyone see those green spots, or is it just me?

Hey I was gonna exchange my soul for a shiny new airplane!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I had a chat with the lower-downs (in Hades we don’t have higher-ups), and sure you can get your soul back, but you have to be able to play the French national anthem on the accordian, while wearing lederhosen and doing the actions to the ‘bird dance’ song, or possibly the Macarena.
Either that or be able to demonstrate that you have flown with Basler Air, more than twice.
In general terms, business here is brisk, what with all those folks from Lehmen Brothers, Morgan & Stearns and AIG, clogging up the place.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

The OE Blog party should be one for the ages.
A couple of things to remember – when you arrive the attendant will take both your coat and your soul (should you still have one, of course). You need to keep the ticket, otherwise you won’t get your coat back.
The catering may not be to your taste as the dishes largely consist of boiled cabbage and poutine made with real poo.
The music will of course be provided by the Hades tone-deaf accordian and ukelele orchestra.
Oh, and you may not want to use our valet parking.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

If there is REAL vodka… and my soul is returned… the party wouldnt be half so bad…

Thanks for the clarification, Spin.. I thought I was beginning to see spots…

Let me make a slight correction to your otherwise accurate description, Nosmo.

Satan used to pay extra for his accordion and ukulele players to be tone-deaf, but he finally figured out it doesn’t matter. So now he just hires professionals, and it sounds just as bad.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@Shra – after a few of our vodkas, I’m fairly certain you won’t mind so much if your soul were returned or not.

@Unca – a kilt? Come on, even the Lord of Darkness has standards, you know.

@Mr. B – Yeah they’re professionals alright, just not professional musicians. They all used to write scripts for infomercials.

And for way of clarification, I don’t actually work directly for His Darkshipness, I’m just a consultant.
Wait … does that make me more evil?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Mr B, you are WAY too late for my soul, I sold it long before I became a commenter here. I did get the ability to make incredible pastry in return though, so I’m not actually sure I’d want to swap back.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Now, Nosmo… nothing saying about kilts ok!
Gosh, some guys here so sooo darn *not accepted in family blog word here* in kilts…
and I would want my soul back, either way! Vodka or no vodka… by the way, how IS the vodka?

Having the vodka is unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s wrong with being drunk?
Just ask a glass of water.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@Nosmo, fly BasAir MORE than twice? Are you kidding? We are still working on keeping people aboard for the taxi to the runway!

Speaking of Z’bub, is he going to be giving an appearance? I made a Ferrari cake.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Of course he will be there, doing his usual things, like adding bacon sprinkles to the vegetarian meals, messing with the drink orders, and changing the seating order so that the Serbs are with the Croats.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Would I be considered evil also if I thought adding bacon sprinkles to vegetarian meals is hilarious? :D

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

That would be naughty, Mr.Pilot.. very naughty…

[...] Johnson, get your butt in my office! You call yourself a news photographer? [...]