Let’s see..Three letters, begins with a G?

October 1, 2010

Blog Guy, where did that expression “Is the pope Catholic?” come from?

It’s interesting you should ask that. Judging from a survey released this week, it’s reasonable to wonder how many Americans know the answer.

POPE-AUSTRALIA/

Let’s just say if there’s a quiz to get into Heaven, it turns out you should copy your answers from a smart atheist.

Blog Guy, the main thing I  know about getting to Heaven is it helps to recommend your blog to a lot of folks. So what about this survey?

Well, 29 percent of the people didn’t even know where Jesus was born.

No! Despite the Christmas carol, “O Little Town of Birmingham?”

Yeah. Fewer than half knew the Reformation was inspired by Martin Luther.

GERMANY/You’re kidding! Even after that “I Have a Dream” speech?

It gets even worse. Only 45 percent knew about Mathew, Mark, Luke and John.

The Beatles? These kids today! Incredible!

Yep, it’s really depressing. Listen, barely half knew that the Golden Rule is not one of the Ten Commandments.

The Golden Rule? Come on, EVERYBODY knows you don’t wear white shoes after Labor Day!

So to sum it up, the survey seemed to show that lots of Christians….

Hang on a minute, Blog Guy. Did  you say TEN Commandments?

The survey results

Report on survey in Reuters FaithWorld Blog

Right: Pope Benedict XVI wears a police cap as he meets a former Australian police officer at the Kenthurst Study Center, in Sydney, July 16, 2008. REUTERS/Osservatore Romano/Pool

Left: An assistant puts final touches to wax figures of ‘The Beatles’ during a promotion for a Beatles musical ‘All You Need Is Love!’ in Berlin, June 26, 2008. REUTERS/Tobias Schwarz

Hey! That first picture is actually my boss, when we were having a ‘bad taste’ party here in the office. Note that he’s not wearing a white hat – even he’s not that evil.
OK, things are getting worse, now my colleagues are being nice to me, and given how often I torture them, this really can’t be good.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Now who is this dimwit you were answering to, BG… ofcourse, the Beatles were not called, Mathew, Mark, Luke and John.
They were… they were… now, what WERE they called?

I took the quiz, and scored 30/32. I identify myself as an Episcopalian. Therefore, the only conclusion I can draw is that the average person has, well, average intelligence. In general, the more intelligent you are, the higher you will probably score.

BTW: I missed the questions on Indonesia and The Great Awakening.

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Nosmo… I would be very careful, if I were you, when I come in on Monday…. you just never know…

It’s good to see that Mr. Ratzinger has a backup career plan just in case that whole Pope thing doesn’t pan out.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

I always thought the Golden Rule was to do unto others before they do unto you!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

And here was me thinking that the golden rule was ‘don’t eat yellow snow’.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I thought the golden rule was “Who has the gold, makes the rules.”

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

No Dave, I’m pretty sure it’s “Leaves of five, let it thrive, leaves of three, let it be…”

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

We get to go to Heaven if we answer the quiz at the door correctly? Reminds me of the scene in the Monty Python movie where the king had to do so in order to cross the bridge.

What does “catholic” mean? world wide or world wise? The same old religion gig that Jesus supplanted with the living God. Bet the atheists don’t understand that.

Posted by risenstar | Report as abusive

I don’t need a quiz to get into Heaven. I’ll just tell them where I worked, and St. Peter will tell me to “come on in, you’ve had your Hell on Earth.”

Posted by inebgreen | Report as abusive

Eh, I’ve only broken 6 and a half. Also, the boss’s Mum’s church ladies have described me as a blessing, so I figure I’m safe. Although, on reflection, they don’t know about the 6 and a half Hmm…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

6 and a half? you’ve lost me.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Out of 10…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

If they polled 1500 people? The chances are out of 300 million (USA citizens) they might have come across 750 people who did not know these answers. Sorry but polling is not a religion!!! By the way, does anybody know the purpose of this quiz??? Oh yea, to try and take out what little faith is left in this country! John, Paul, Ringo and George (Beatles). Jesus (King of Kings)!!!

Posted by peteg7j | Report as abusive

Peteg seems new… Zap in order?

Spin, yeah thats what i thought.. arent they the cutest? :P
CG, urgent meeting required with the godsend.. :D

I have my suspicions that the pollsters didn’t poll very many Lutherans. I saw a news story on television about this poll. For the record, I’m not an atheist or agnostic, and I knew the answer to every question posed. They were no-brainers.

At my Parents’ church, after years of studying in the summer, on Saturdays, and on Sundays, at age 13, we had to pass an oral examination in front of the entire church before we allowed to become members of the church. Bless you Jackie D. (wherever you are) for whispering some of the answers to me!

I have always found it interesting that the Lutheran Church uses the word “Paster” for its ministers. I believe in God, but I must confess that I am not a sheep.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Dont you mean, Pastor, Doc?
This blog calls for a discussion.. which could turn philosophical.. dunno if htat should be allowed… what say BG?

Right you are, Shra. My bad.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive