Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Why do they call it the Send-Off Royale?

October 8, 2010

second line combo 490

Blog Guy, I need some help planning my funeral, although I’m not gone yet. I want one of those traditional New Orleans send-offs, complete with the “second line parade.”

second line charles vertical 220You know, with the street dancing and parasols and waving hats and hankies and everything, but I need to know how much they cost.

Oh, there’s a whole price range, starting with a couple of guys waving broken umbrellas, all the way up to the “Prince of Wales Razzle-Dazzle Send-Off Royale.”

Oooooh, I want THAT one! What does it include?

As you can see in the photo, you get Prince Charles himself, and a pretty darned nice umbrella, too.

Yes! That’s it! So how much will that set me back?

First, I need to know a couple of details. Will you also be wanting his wife, Camilla, and her famous tuba?

Pass. What else?

Will you be providing motel accommodations and breakfast for his highness?

Combo left: U.S. composer/musician Wynton Marsalis (L) leads a second line parade before the world premiere of the jazz performance “Congo Square” in New Orleans, in a 2006 file photo. REUTERS/Lee Celano

Combo center: Wanda Rouzan (C) leads a traditional second-line funeral parade for Blues musician Earl King prior in New Orleans, in a 2003 file photo. REUTERS

Combo right: Britain’s Prince Charles dances with villagers at Tolasar village near Jodhpur in India’s state of Rajasthan, October 5, 2010. REUTERS/Sunil Verma

Comments

He’s a Royal. Isn’t it mandatory they learn how to dance and fill out a dance card? (My mother loves Regency romances)
==RED

Posted by REDruin | Report as abusive

Ah, that’s our Prince Charlie – a man for the people!

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

Looks more like Charles is doing the famous Indian ‘I need to use the little boys throne room’ dance.

Not to be confused with the New Foundland ‘I knew I shouldn’t have eaten that chicken last night’ dance.

Back to work – I present on October 20th, seats are still available.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Oi get a look here! What we are looking at is a fantasitc speciman of a Prince Charles on the hunt for his prey, the elusive ice cream truck! The Prince Charles will use his large ears to listen for the faint jingle that tells him the ice cream truck is near! Then with his powerful nose will track the scent of chocolate sprinkles hopefully leading him to his prey. Crickey that’s a gorgeous Prince Charles! Easy does it fellah, I’m not gunna hert ya! The umbrella he uses is a sign to others to join him to share in the feast. I’m so excited for this find mates, isn’t this Prince Charles awesome?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Why does it appear that the Prince has been shot in the forehead?

Posted by KWest | Report as abusive

Folks, take a good look at the middle picture. Isn’t that the famous Eugene “TH” Johnson, sporting his festively wrapped toilet seat on a sash? How much does THAT funeral cost, Mr. B?

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

@KWest, oh no you are right! What has happened to Prince Charles? Is a new conspiracy afoot?

We need the OSEU to get on this case quick!

@ladylala, dunno how much it actually cost but my guess would be a *@#!load!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

To you eagle-eyed readers who noticed the red stuff on the prince’s forehead, it’s there, and I’ve blown up that section of the high-res photo, and I don’t know for certain what it is.

To those who suggest it’s a GSW, I’m pretty sure you’re wrong.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I didn’t think it was a grape soda wart. That would be kinda silly since there hasn’t been a case of one since the mid 1740s.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I’m still stuck on the middle pic of Eugene. With that particular funeral package, is cremation still an option? Or do they basically just flush you away to the ocean, kinda like a cheapo-express Viking funeral?

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Eugene,music,the prince and an ocean side send off! Why of course you can get that funeral. Juat ask for the Royal Flush.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Let’s not go wild, Onedoor. Eugene is under exclusive contract with this blog, and I’m pretty sure he’s not doing New Orleans funerals on the side.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

And how much does it cost to keep them away?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

You guys still want to know what that red stuff on Prince Charles is?