Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Kids, don’t try this at home…

October 11, 2010

Blog Guy, you used to do a lot more stuff on stupid sports. You filled us in on Appliance Golf, Tear Gas Tennis, the “Pedal Pathétique” bike race…  So what’s new in the  Wide World of Stupid Sports?

GAMES/

I’m glad you asked.

Down at those Commonwealth Games in India, they just had the finals of the “Big Honking Barbell Catch.” Here’s a shot of the gold medal winner in action.

commonwealth barbell crop 260How does that work?

Pretty much as it would in the cartoons.  They take 150-pound weights up 20 flights of stairs and drop them from a roof, and each competitor tries to catch one.

As you can see here, the winner showed fairly good form, catching the barbell just above his belt buckle.

Wow!  ”Fairly good form?” I’d say he looks VERY impressive! Did he do anything wrong?

He was supposed to catch it with his teeth.

Then why didn’t one of the other athletes win, instead?

Ahem. I’d show you their photos, but this is supposed  to be a family-friendly blog. This dude is the only competitor with any chance of winning a toothpaste endorsement, if you catch my drift.

Seth Degbe Fetrie of Ghana is pinned under the bar during an unsuccessful attempt in the men’s 69kg weightlifting competition at the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi October 6, 2010. REUTERS/Amit Dave

Comments

Oh snap! My femur!

Posted by vwgal | Report as abusive

I do one armed curls with that weight. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

Posted by T54 | Report as abusive

Ouch..

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

I think he put a strain on something that wasn’t taped.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

That’s not really 69 kilos is it? Surely not. I can deadlift 80 on a fairly feeble day.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

The shorts say 0 Number 1; the athlete says Oh Number 2.

Posted by KWest | Report as abusive

That’s the best way to prevent the Aliens from bursting out of your stomach and taking over the world!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@Crowgirl- each competitor weighs 69kg or less. They are supposed to limbo under, er lift, umm something, much heavier weights than that. I take a punt that the reds are 25kg each and the greens are 10kg each, which means he just dropped 120kg on hisself.

Jack be un-nimble, Jack not be quick, Jack be squished by limbo stick.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Nosmo – FTW!

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

True story. I had a teammate in college who benched 400+ and power cleaned 315. He was a horse, and a buff one at that. One night at a party, he challenged a slender-looking male ballet dancer to arm wrestle. No contest. The danseur won in seconds.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

@Doc, I dunno what’s more impressive, a horse that can bench 400lbs or a horse that can arm wrestle. What a very interesting college you attended!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Well, after that Ifly, I knew it behooved me to never arm wrestle a danseur!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Ah, they’re tiny weightlifters, I see. Thanks Nosmo. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive