A museum for the well-red?

October 15, 2010

british library combo 490

Blog Guy, I need some of that expert travel advice that put this blog on the map.

BRITAIN/I’m planning a trip to Britain, over there in England or wherever it is, and I want to make sure I see everything! At the top of my list is the world-famous British Museum.

Really? Yeah, okay, although some tourists find it less impressive than they expected.There have been cutbacks.

No! It’s THE British Museum! The Rosetta Stone! Priceless historic manuscripts!

Yeah, I guess they do have most of those Harry Potter books, although the kids have been stealing them.

My only fear is I’m just devoting three full days to the Museum, and that may not be enough to see everything.

ITALY/Oh, I think that will be more than adequate.

Geez Blog Guy, you’re bumming me out. Number two on my list is Big Ben. Do you think I’ll be disappointed in that, too.

Not if you like chocolate.

Books are seen in the village phone box in Marton cum Grafton, northern England October 9, 2010. The classic red phone booth in the center of Marton-cum-Grafton, near Boroughbridge, was bought by residents for £1, as part of British Telecom’s Adopt A Kiosk campaign which has seen more than 350 red phone boxes adopted by small communities across the country so far.   REUTERS/Nigel Roddis

A Big Ben reproduction, made of chocolate, stands on display during the Wonderland festivities in the medieval town of Macerata Feltria in the Province of Pesaro, December 7, 2008.
REUTERS/Daniele La Monaca

Adopt a kiosk? Why, is there an abundance of kiosks without homes or purpose? Do the Brits not realize they can just take them down if they are not needed?

And is that reeeeeally chocolate? For really really? This blog has raised far more questions for me than I can apply my cunning wit and humor to!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Beats putting the kids in the closet under the stairs I guess.

Posted by richardradeck | Report as abusive

Big Ben doesn’t really look like chocolate…but I’d take a bite anyway just to be sure. I’ve never doubted the accuracy of Mr. B’s photo citations; however, I have to say…this one is giving me pause. If that’s not really chocolate, I think BG owes every single one of us a REAL Big Ben chocolate replica. Just saying :)

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Great idea, repurposing retired TARDIS’s as Public Libraries! Looks smaller than Dr. Who’s type 40, but his was obsolete anyway. Slap on a quick coat of paint to throw off the Daleks, and voila! At least overdue books won’t be a problem anymore!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

‘So how did you enjoy London?’
‘It was delicious – although the Big Ben was a little runny’

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Okay, Spin. Ionesco? Banksy? Haiku? Do you not understand there will be a judgment day when Shra returns?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I used to keep pencils in the red phonebox outside my house. They were handy for taking messages.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Are you sure that isn’t the British $1 movie rental unit- Red Kiosk?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Police boxes are a quite different design…

British Telecom hate phone boxes, but it’s very hard for them to get rid of them, they have a legal obligation to provide one for every so many population. They’ve altered most of the rural ones so they won’t accept cash, so in future years they can claim it isn’t needed because noone ever uses it. Frankly, and depending on the age of FWD and when Unca was over here no one will get this, but Buzby would be ashamed!

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I’m from West Virginia and my cousin’s nickname was Red, because he red a book once.

Posted by lemonttaylor | Report as abusive