Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Checkered days, long knights shooting chess

October 17, 2010

SPAIN

Boss? BOSS! Are you okay? Oh, I thought you were dead, all slumped over like that.

Yeah, I just fell asleep looking at your chess photos, Johnson. This was the best you could do?

chess coffee 300Come on, Boss, there’s not much action in chess. Look, at least Magnus Carlsen is stroking his chin. And here’s a shot of a player walking slowly with a mug….

Face it, Johnson, you’re just not one of the great chess photographers. Back in 1972, I got a shot of Boris Spassky sneezing. Now THAT was a classic!

I love to hear you talk about the old days, Boss. Was that the best-ever?

chess tyler 280Yeah, until we got that shot of Bobby Fischer picking his nose with a white rook. We’ll never top that.

Boss, it’s not my fault nothing dramatic happened. Heck, all Carlsen does is just hang out with movie actress Liv Tyler. Who wants to see her?

Liv Tyler? JOHNSON!!!!! Bring me that heavy glass ashtray and turn around, will you?

Top: Norwegian chess player Magnus Carlsen (R) plays against India’s Viswanathan Anand during the Bilbao Final Masters 2010 in Bilbao October 15, 2010. REUTERS/Vincent West

Middle: Spanish chess player Alexei Shirov (L) plays against Russian Vladimir Kramnik during the Bilbao Final Masters 2010 in Bilbao October 15, 2010. REUTERS/Vincent West

Bottom: Norwegian chess champion Magnus Carlsen enters the red carpet with actress Liv Tyler as front row special guests at the G-Star RAW Spring/Summer 2011 collection during New York Fashion Week, September 14th 2010. REUTERS/Eric Thayer

Comments

Not only does he have some smooth moves, he really knows how to Liv it up:)

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Are you kidding, BG? These are very exciting photos! Look at Carlsen’s knight on h5; the tension is amazing! And the center is just ready to explode!

These are some of the best photos I’ve seen here in a while. Thanks!!

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

The closest I’ve ever come to playing chess is when I turned to a waiter in Australia and said “check, mate?”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

The third pick just highlights the amazing abilities of the latest version of Photoshop. Sorry Magnus, we are not as easily fooled these days.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

ifly: that’s not PhotoShopped. Both Tyler and Carlsen are models for the G-Star Raw line of clothing.

There’s hope for us chess players yet!

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Who won in the end? Your fella on the right is short on pawns.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I have an actual real-life Liv Tyler story.
I met her while in Spain a few years ago.
Well, when I say met, she stumbled drunkenly out of a nightclub and fell on top of me, knocking both of us to the ground.
For a few seconds I was feeling completely a-Liv.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Now thats what I call action.

Lamar, get the cameras and I want you to get as many shots as possible in this tension building, high paced, nerve racking game. It would be just like in the 1st Harry Potter movie where Harry Potter plays a game of chess with his friends.

What do you mean, Lamar, thats not the way how chess is played?

I saw the movie enough times to know how its played, Lamar. Now get the cameras rolling!!!

Posted by Insane | Report as abusive

Looks like Liv is leaning in, so that she doesn’t tower over chess guy in the photo. That’s quite sweet.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Crowgirl: that game ended in a draw.

69Spinster: very nice haiku!

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Chicks digging geeks.. great :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

From the photos it looks like the players Magnus Carlsen and Viswanathan Anand are pretty serious about the game. It looks like they are playing with a wooden chess set. It is good to see Liv Tyler’s photo too.

James – http://www.chesssets.co.uk/

Posted by chesssetsuk | Report as abusive

Thanks for the posting. I like the photograph of Liv Tyler. She looks good. I also enjoy seeing the photo of Norwegian chess player Magnus Carlsen playing against India’s Viswanathan Anand during the Bilbao Final Masters 2010. I think those who play wooden chess sets stimulate their minds.

Posted by Regency1 | Report as abusive