Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Legumes and goobers and tubers, oh my!

October 22, 2010

veg combo 490

Blog Guy, you’ve helped other readers with their photo collections. I recall the guy who collects pictures of dancing presidents, and the one who asked for shots of rich folks eating ice cream.

veg michelle potato new 280Frankly, as a serious collector, both of those guys sound pretty weird to me.

I see. And what do you collect?

Photos of important people with vegetables. Here’s part of my collection, including my pride and joy, former President George Bush holding a can of Bush’s Baked Beans. That one is worth a fortune.

I also have former President Jimmy Carter with the world’s largest peanut in a lock box. I mean the picture is in a lock box, not Jimmy Carter.

Uh-huh.

So can you help me out?

As it happens, yes. Here’s a new shot of first lady Michelle Obama holding a huge sweet potato.

That should really enhance your collection, right? High-five for the Blog Guy!

OBAMA/You’re such a rube. That’s just her annual October sweet potato shot. I have those from every year going back to the start of her husband’s career. See, here’s the one from last October.

Sorry. So there’s nothing I can do for you, despite having a massive historic news photo archive at my fingertips?

Not unless you can lay your hands on that elusive shot of Mamie Eisenhower with turnips…

Top left: Russia’s President Dmitry Medvedev holds vacuum packed potatoes as he visits a vegetable production company outside Moscow, November 12, 2008. REUTERS/RIA Novosti/Kremlin/Astakhov Dmitry

Top middle: Britain’s Prince Charles smells a mushroom as he meets Japanese farmers in Shinano, central Japan, October 30, 2008. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

Top right: U.S. President George W. Bush holds a can of Bush’s Best Baked Beans during his visit to the Central Virginia Foodbank in Richmond, November 19, 2007. REUTERS/Jason Reed

Left: U.S. first lady Michelle Obama lifts a large sweet potato that she helped dig from the ground during the fall harvest of the White House Kitchen Garden at the White House, October 20, 2010. REUTERS/Jason Reed

Lower right: U.S. first lady Michelle Obama holds a sweet potato as she attends the fall harvest of the White House Garden on the South Lawn of the White House, October 29, 2009. REUTERS/Larry Downing

Comments

Ooooh, sweet potatoes! Will have to buy some to bake this weekend.

Where is the really famous vegetable man – the Jolly Green Giant?

Can we consider peanuts in cookies as vegetables? Then you could add the Keebler Elves. You’d just have to find their tree. Just follow the census taker to the forest.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Ah.. all this natural food and ONE baked beans, guess we know now who’s the original and who isn’t.

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Former President George W. Bush: “Beans, beans, they’re good for yer heart. The more you eat them the more…. uhh… the more… umm… well just go ahead and eat the beans cause they are so darn tasty!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

‘Spuds’ Medvedev
George W ‘Tooter’ Bush
Michelle ‘Yams’ O’bama
None of them compares to Prince Charles. He’s such a fungi to be around.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

From here it looks like Prince Charles is checking out a moldy cow pie passing itself off as a mushroom.

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

@Ifly: LOL :D :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Great memory, Spin. But the rule this time was the people had to be holding the veggies, not just standing next to them. A pity, because I have a great shot of Don Rickles next to Mr. Potato Head, too.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Mmmmm mashed sweet potatoes…I’m drooling! I think I’ll have some this weekend.

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Good grins all! Nosmo, you are a fungi, too! Lettuce have donuts to celebrate!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@Spin – yes, I am all done. The presentation went off without a problem and was well-received.
I made a discovery in ‘New Finland’ an alcoholic beverage called ‘Screech’, which is kinda the involuntary noise you make after swallowing a mouthful.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Amazing, Nosmo. Someone – I believe it was Doc – mentioned Newfoundland Screech in a comment here a few months ago. I was intrigued, but it turns out you can only buy it in three U.S. states – Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. I had some friends buy me a couple of bottles in Maine recently but haven’t opened them yet. I’m kind of afraid.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Post them to me Mr B, I’ll write you a full review.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

The middle pic looks like Michelle O. followed through on her threat to rip out somebody’s liver and have it for lunch.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Vacuum packed potatoes are wrong.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

BG, Screech made a new man of me — Mr. Hyde.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive