Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

What we need is some women…

October 28, 2010

Welcome back to a regular feature we like to call, “What Year is this Again?,”  where we offer up news that makes us seriously question what century it is.

yemen tribe 490

Today, we have some photos of an indigenous tribe in a mountainous area of southern Yemen, but all we see are well-armed men and boys.

Where are the tribe’s women? I see. According to the caption, they are “only allowed to leave their homes during emergencies.”

tribal 340Excuse me? What does that even mean? Does the home actually have to be ablaze, or are there lesser emergencies, as well?

“Honey, I’m off to my NRA meeting, did you shine my bullets? Listen, it’s kind of an emergency – I think we’re out of creamy peanut butter!”

“Sweetie, our Direct TV Dish was hit by lightning last night. Feel free to climb the ladder for emergency repairs.”

“The Post Office called! My shirt just arrived. It’s the first shirt ever in this village, so I’d call this an emergency. Can you walk barefoot for 46 miles to get it?”

“Holy crap, Pumpkin, ‘Oprah’ is coming on! You’d better go outside and wait until her show’s over so it doesn’t mess with your head. Yeah, I’d say that’s an emergency, for sure!”

Members of the indigenous Talb Bin-Hemiar tribe gather in the Talb Yafaa mountainous area in southern Yemen October 25, 2010. Members of the tribe walk around barefoot and rely on traditional forms of medicine to treat ailments and illnesses, while women are only allowed to leave their homes during emergencies. REUTERS/Stringer

Comments

Ummm… too much ammunition for a tribe.. dontcha think?

Yikes!
With this tribe you don’t get voted off, you get sawn-off.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

CG might have a word or two with that kid carrying a sword…
for one, its not sharp enough…

“Members of the tribe walk around barefoot and rely on traditional forms of medicine to treat ailments and illnesses” Where does relying on the Honda CRV for transportation fit into tradition?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

So then, to whom does the SUV belong? You would think that if the tribe could afford a nice SUV, they could at least mail order a couple hundred pair of shoes. Or work out some licensing deal with Adidas or Nike! Ooh, maybe a new model is in the works – the Air Kalashnikov!!!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Ah yeah ifly, my question too, along with why are they carrying rifles instead of stone knives? I like the “we’re only going to use SELECTIVE technologies” attitude.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

And they need a barber… pronto!

@Shra: Tribes fight, hence guns

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

See! THAT’S what happens to me when I don’t get my doughnuts! :-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

I understand that every culture is different but this goes beyond what I could ever have imagined. That would totally suck, you couldn’t even go and visit your girlfriend down the road. And people complain about life in America? Take a good look people, we have it so much better.

Posted by RuthTyger | Report as abusive

@Shra: Of course it’s not sharp. You don’t think they’d let kids play with SHARP swords, do you?

@Jib: Isn’t that what AK stands for?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Are these guys really:
A) members of the Mel Gibson fan club
B) extras from the TV series ‘Lost’
C) on their way to a Jimmy Hendrix look-alike convention?
D) members of the Wisconsin University Alumni Association at their ‘secret’ training facility

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I thought they were waiting to audition for “Dancing With the Stars”, but then I found out it was actually for “Yemen’s Got Talent.”

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

Hah, nice one! Now get back in your house, Slick – it’s not an emergency….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Shra – damn right! If he can hold it like that and there’s no blood running down his shoulder it isn’t sharp enough.

Ruth – you wouldn’t even HAVE a girlfriend down the road. Unless you’re really good at getting to know people during a fire/burglary/murder attempt.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Hey ladies, you drool over the Scots (And Prince Charles) in their kilts, what about these fine gentlemen in their bedsheets? :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@Ifly: My eyes aren’t what they used to be, but I bet some of those gentlemen would clean pretty nice.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

The second guy from the right in the bottom pic would, Lala…

@ladylala, clean pretty nice? You wouldn’t take them as the rough and tough mercenaries they are?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@69 … only if it’s an emeregency.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive