Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

THAT’S my security guy?

November 8, 2010

NEW-ZEALAND/

Quick quiz: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is seen here in New Zealand…

NEW-ZEALAND/a) Watching a local baseball game.

b) Thinking maybe she should have gone to a better college.

c) Wondering, “Why can’t they do anything about the streakers down here?”

d) Praying this guy doesn’t turn out to be, you know, the prime minister or whatever.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton receives a traditional Maori challenge of picking up a feather off the ground during a Maori welcome (Powhiri) as she arrives at Parliament in Wellington November 4, 2010. A male delegate of Clinton’s party picked up the challenge on her behalf, as women were not permitted to do so. REUTERS/Anthony Phelps

Comments

Ooooo!!! Was it a fight to the death?? Who died??

Oh this is good. Must forward to my Kiwi Mates.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

X marks the spot on his suspender tanned back. It appears the woman next to Mrs. Clinton started to put on one of the fringed mini skirts and changed her mind. Is the guy next to her wearing front and back ruffles?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Wow ninja training sure has gone lax, going from “If you can snatch this stone from my hand grasshopper…” to snatching feathers off the ground. Geez, was it windy at least?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I have a feeling that Hilary would be very successful in intimidating this guy… I mean, all you have to do is see her in the Gob blog!

Hmm, a large scary-looking guy with a really big stick orders you to do something, while twirling the stick and shouting.
You have three options:
1. Do what he says
2. Run away very fast
3. Do an Indiana Jones

It could have been worse for Hilary and anyone else in the area though, she may have had to sing.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Wait a second…

The challenge is to pick up a feather which you are forbidden to pick up?

And if you fall for this they can hit you with a big stick?

Posted by KWest | Report as abusive

@Onedoor – I’m seeing the ruffle action, but I think it might actually be a bird suit, and possibly the source of the feather.

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Speaking of security, BG, I hope you find the news about Jenson Button being approached by men with machine guns after Saturday’s qualifying at Interlagos for the Brazilian Grand Prix. Fortunately, his security detail was police in an armored limo, and the driver just ran over cars to get out of the way.

This guy in the picture would have clobbered them, right? Right? Hello?

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

I want Toilet Head Johnson on my security team. No one will get within 50 feet of you, guaranteed.

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/01/06/the-grossest-picture-of-the-yea r-so-far/

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

The next pic in the series is of the Clinton SS opening up and ventilating the dude ‘attacking’ with the stick.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Says Mr. Ruffles to Mrs. SoS Clinton; “We have a program where we employ patients of the local mental institute, try to get them out into the working world and be productive. It helps with their rehabilitation. Here we have a patient who thinks he is a cross between George of the Jungle and Babe Ruth. We have hired him as the resident fly swatter. Have you been bothered by any flies so far Mrs. Clinton? No? See, the program works!”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I actually have this exact same challenge for anyone who enters my house.

On an unrelated note, I wonder why none of my friends have come to visit me in a while…

Posted by shawngrggs | Report as abusive

Do you also present this challenge wearing something similar to what that guy has worn, Shawn?
Could be an added reason you know… just saying…;)

I only wear the tan-lines, Shra.

Posted by shawngrggs | Report as abusive