Oh no no no I’m a rocket man…

November 9, 2010

MYANMAR-ELECTION/THAILAND

Blog Guy, my college career counselor sent me to you. He said you keep tabs on the most interesting and unusual new jobs out there, and I definitely want to try something different.

Glad to help. I was just reading an online recruiting ad for door-to-door RPG salesmen. The pay is good, and that sales sampler you carry on your back is a chick magnet.

rocket sales crop 260Wait, Blog Guy. You actually go door-to-door selling those rocket propelled grenades like we see in news clips from Afghanistan? Is that even legal here?

It is in Arkansas, parts of Texas, and certain neighborhoods in Detroit. If you own a home near a noisy fraternity house or a karaoke bar, these little babies practically sell themselves.

Why does the salesman need to carry so many different kinds?

Variety. You’ve got your exploding shells, your tear gas, your white phosphorus, which are quite festive for the upcoming holidays…

Jeepers, I think I’ll try that! But I’d think I would have to cover a lot of territory on my sales route. Can I get from town to town quickly enough?

Not a problem.

A woman looks at a Thai soldier armed with rockets as she rides past on a motorcycle at the Thai border town of Mae Sot November 8, 2010. REUTERS/Chaiwat Subprasom

You’re welcome, Spin. Well, the boat-tracker wardrobe is easier to care for…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Oh to be a rocket man…

It’s just my job five days a week
Rocket man, rocket man!

BG, you rock (literally)!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

I had one of those back home…

Another person selling RPG’s. I thought they went out of fashion with MUD’s and MMORPG’s. And where do you put the 20-sided dice?

What? “Rocket-propelled grenades”? Well, that’s different.

Never mind.

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

@Shra – Just for the sake of clarity, did you have an RPG back home, or a Thai soldier?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I think it’s pretty clear she had a Thai soldier. You can see him in her Facebook photo albums.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Somehow I don’t think that a “Walk to Work Day” is the smartest thing for the Thai army.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Do RPG salesmen make more than home-made lunchmeat salesmen?

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Baz, I’m a disgruntled secretary typing my fingers off for low pay and no appreciation. While I like the idea of selling rockets door to door, I’d rather take a job that has more ‘bang’ where I’m the one buying rockets as opposed to selling.

Any ideas?

:?

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Sarabelle, good question. Actually it’s possible for the same salesman to do both. Indeed, it happens more often than you might think.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Youse guys act like seeing a guy carrying a backpack of RPGs is something unusual. It’s only when you see them point on that they become unusual.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

@Egeria – I forsee a bright future for you within the Border Security environment, specifically the Unified Threat Assessment Group, where you get to type your fingers off chasing ‘bad guys’ around on the Internet, for mid-level pay and minimal respect.
The kicker is that the basic training includes suiting up in body armor, learning how to use a handgun, and getting to interrogate people at airports.
Did I mention the all-expenses-paid airtravel to war zones and political hotspots all over the world?
After a few years, you might be able to get a job with the U.N. and never do useful work again.
Or bail out, become an over-priced consultant, and, well, train other people how to do useful work.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Unca if you want to catch butterflies you use a net! A net buddy we went through this already! Can someone please get a lock for the armory, the last time this happened Unca blew up half the town park and the kids were without a playground for a month! But he did catch a really beautiful swallowtail I will give him that.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Top photo: The woman is thinking that if they do pick up that hitchhiker, he could help get rid of the traffic jam for them.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Neither Nosmo… I had a motorcycle like that back home…
BG.. we NEED to talk!