Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

One small step for man…aaaahhhhhh!!!

November 19, 2010

Blog Guy, you strike me as a guy who would like practical jokes.

SWITZERLAND/No way. Too many of those things are cruel, sick, mean-spirited and make me cringe.

Oh come on, I can tell from the humor in your blog, you’ve contemplated some pretty funny tricks on your fellow man, even if you never went through with them.

Well, I have thought of a few impish monkeyshines now and then, sure.

That’s better. So go ahead and tell me one of them. What would you do?

Okay, but just between the two of us?

You have my word.

I guess maybe I’d find some really obnoxious guy, like a spammer or something, see, and ask if he wanted to be the first human to fly like a bird, with my “Super-Duper Jet-Fitted Flying Wing.”

Go on…

SWITZERLAND/So I’d strap this contraption on his back, see, and take him up in a hot air balloon, and he would stand on this platform. Then, when we got about a mile up, my friends and I would light the “jetpacks” on the wing, and tell him to jump off and fly.

Er, I’m not getting the joke, Blog Guy.

Sigh. The  “flying wing” would just be a big heavy wooden board, and the “jetpacks” would be jumbo firecrackers from some highway stand in North Carolina. Imagine this guy’s surprise when he starts trying to fly! Priceless!

You know, Blog Guy, maybe you were right. Maybe you should stay away from practical jokes…

Oh, wait! Did I mention that the guy wouldn’t know it, but there would be a 5,000-foot bungee cord attached to his back, so at the last second before he hits the earth, he would…

Blog Guy, you actually dream of being a Loony Tunes cartoon character someday, don’t you?

Oh. Is it that transparent?

Left: Swiss airline pilot Yves Rossy, the first man in the world to fly under a jet-fitted wing, prepares to jump from a hot air balloon in Bercher, near Lausanne, Switzerland, November 5, 2010.

Right: Rossy speeds through the air to perform a loop near the balloon.

REUTERS photos by Laurent Gillieron/Pool

Comments

Jet pack! Yessss! When are you going to debut the rocket pack BG? Or the personal gyro-copter? And saaaayyyyy, anonymous narrator, what do you have against being a ‘toon? It worked well for Jessica Rabbit. :D

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

I just wanna know… Did he survive or did something happen to him, Wile E.Coyote style?

Shra,
Rossy survived, no Wile E. Coyote ending. After performing some aerobatic maneuvers, he landed with a parachute. See http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Switzerlan d-Jetman-Jetman–Swiss-pilot-Yves-Rossy-f irst-man-world-fly/ss/events/lf/110510je tman/im:/101105/photos_us_rank_afp/84558 49fc85ea4d39b1b4f08428f2774/
for some pictures.

Posted by HaroldW | Report as abusive

So, Basler Air is entering the personal aircraft market?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Hehe, “impish monkeyshines” :)

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

“Swiss airline pilot Yves Rossy, the first man in the world to fly under a jet-fitted wing…”

Cool, next he can put it underneath him and be the first man in the world to fly OVER a jet-fitted wing! All the more champagne!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

leave to the swiss to figure out a way around those pesky airport pat downs and embarassing scanners.

Posted by wheelz | Report as abusive

You know Mr B. the hazing rituals you put people through in order to be an ‘inner circle’ OE blog reader, may just be becoming a little extreme.

Funny – but a little extreme.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Mr. Pilot if he does that, he would be very close to the Green Goblin… dontcha think!

Sure, put him in a green pressure suit and he could give Willem Dafoe a fun for his money!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive