Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

“If it ain’t Lamar’s, it just ain’t steak!”

November 23, 2010

INDONESIA-OBAMA/

Blog Guy, I know you get around. I’ve heard that U.S. celebrities, even superstars, often do TV commercials and endorsements for overseas markets, since they know the ads won’t be shown here. Does this happen a lot?

michelle steak combo 280Yes, much more than you can imagine. Above, here’s a screen grab showing first lady Michelle Obama advertising for Susie’s House of Doilies on a home shopping network over in Indonesia.

Doilies? The first lady? That’s incredible! Does Michelle do other overseas commercials, as well?

You bet. Here’s another one she did, in Germany, for a place called Lamar’s Bavarian Steak Garden.

This is the one where she winks at the camera and says, “If it ain’t Lamar’s, it just ain’t steak!”

This is a real eye-opener for me. I have to say, I’m not too crazy about this level of commercialization from respected luminaries.

Ah. You probably shouldn’t watch late-night television in Honduras, then.

Why not?

hillary georgetown face 220Seeing Hillary Clinton’s infomercial for Ricardo’s Muy Caliente Meat Sauce might push you right over the edge.

Top: U.S. first lady Michelle Obama (L) poses with Ani Yudhoyono, wife of Indonesia’s President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, as she is taken on a tour of the “Living Traditions Exhibition at Wisma Negara” in Jakarta, November 9, 2010. REUTERS/Tim Sloan/Pool

Left: U.S. first lady Michelle Obama serves steaks to U.S. servicemen and their relatives during her visit at the U.S. airbase in the southwestern German town of Ramstein, November 11, 2010. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

Left: U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in a private Georgetown garden in Washington, May 13, 2010. REUTERS/Cliff Owen/Pool

Comments

And is Lamar in the picture with her, BG?
You know, only curious, of course, for Sarabelle and Lady! :D

For security reasons I can’t comment on that, Shra.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I can’t decide if Hillary’s face is a result of:
1) being in the middle of an airport security ‘pat-down’
2) having just heard the distant chimes of an approaching ice-cream van
3) attending Lamar’s school for upper-class goofy faces

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I’m a little irritated that I never knew about Lamar’s place in Germany…I would have shown up regularly, just like any good stalker would :)

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Thanks for checking for us Shra! Us girls have to stick together :)

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Any time, Sarabelle… anytime! :D

To digress: the perfect gift for OEers who have a duct tape/chloroform kit in their landrovers:

http://store.colemans.com/cart/us-gi-xla rge-carrybody-bag-p-2309.html

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

If one doesn’t want to spring the $29.95 for a new one, I have a couple of used ones….

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I only have a tattered German pocket dictionary, so maybe somebody can edit this: Ach, Lamar, dein steak ist zu sterben fuer!

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Wow, Doc, what a useful and thoughtful gift idea! After all, you know what they say:
“A friend will help you move, but a REAL friend will help you move a body!”

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Lady,

I think that is supposed to mean “Your steak is to die for!” I might say “Ihr Steak soll dafür sterben.”

Although, I suspect Lamar more often hears “Ihr Steak tötet mich!”

(Your steak is killing me!)

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Or this: “Essen sie steak ist um so gut wie tot.”

(To eat your steak is to be as good as dead.)

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Hey Doc, I resemble that remark!
Oops! I mean, uh, what a terrible thing to suggest.
I don’t even own a landrover.
Anyway, the trunk space in my Volvo S80 is much better for hiding, umm… things.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

You know featuring Hillary with a goofy face is kinda like shooting fish in a barrel. I don’t recall ever seeing a photo of her without a goofy face and, the miracle is, each one is a different goofy face. You must have a wing of your museum dedicated just to her.

Posted by lemonttaylor | Report as abusive

@Spin – So are you saying that Hillary and the President of Turkey had the SAME lipstick, or was she just admiring the lovely shade he had.

Incidentally, if they have Thanksgiving in Turkey – what do they eat?
Americans maybe? Although probably not Callista Flockhart, ’cause there ain’t no meat on dem bones.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Nosmo, I assumed Spin’s use of “his tube of lipstick” was a euphemism…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@CrowGirl – I take your point and seing how he’s European, it could equally be either, or even both.
Let’s just say both.

@Spin – reminds me of the movie ‘Eat the Rich’

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

We do indeed, Lemon… You should drop by the museum and see it.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive