Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Oeuf! I can’t take any more puns!

November 24, 2010

caviar 490

Blog Guy, I read a Reuters story about a French guy who is trying to bring caviar to the masses.

Sounds like a rough roe to hoe…

Roe to hoe? Groan. I’m going to ignore that, Blog Guy, because this is a serious story. The guy is using eggs from farmed sturgeon.

FRANCE-CAVIAR/Those are really good for you, according to a report from the sturgeon-general.

That’s enough, Blog Guy! This same French guy is also introducing some new duck dishes.

That’s incorrect. I believe it’s a canard.

I get it! Canard is duck, but is also false information. Stop these word games!

I’m sorry, I was just having some fun with you. I did read about this same dude. He has a restaurant where he plans to serve a canard-stuffed caviar dish.

Um, I’m afraid to ask. Why isn’t he serving it already?

He wants to get all his ducks in a roe.

The dish “Oeuf Christian Dior”, a soft-boiled egg named after the fashion designer served with its top sliced off and a sliver of fish roe laid on top, is displayed at the Prunier restaurant in Paris November 19, 2010.  REUTERS/Charles Platiau

Cooks prepare dishes in the kitchen of the Prunier restaurant in Paris November 19, 2010. REUTERS/Charles Platiau

Comments

I dont like fish
I wont eat this dish
I am trying to make a pun
but then, am not feeling like much fun.

I’ll take roasted goat ANY day.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Do they measure the tastiness of this is roe-entegens, Blog Guy?

==Bob D

Posted by REDruin | Report as abusive

The question is, can Lamar make this dish?

Eggs on caviar?

Somebody needs to show that chef the Dior.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to all of us Americans who read this blog.

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

@Dave, how does your goat feel about that?

Not being one who has ever dined on soft-boiled eggs are they supposed to look like a globs of gelatin?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I prefer fish cheeks myself. Quite the delicious delicacy!

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

It’s ofishal, BG, you need kelp. Until I read this, it was a beautiful marlin!

You walrus have to include a pun. Once in a whale, okay. But in every thread, there haddock be a pun. I smelt these coming. I guess it’s just the ray you are.

Sorry to be so roughy. Now, got to go. I need to buy flounders for my sweet carp. Mahi gill and I going to the symphony, tuna-ght. (Beethoven’s fish-th.) Can’t you just eel it?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

At the risk of being tased for supplying some actual information, I find the “snail caviar” much more OE-ish — so interesting I’d like to feed it to my mother-in-law:

http://www.luxury-insider.com/Current_Af fairs/img/1208-snail-caviar-420.jpg

Posted by grok | Report as abusive

Grok, I feel for ya…
Doc, you need to go fish…

I almost reported doc as abusive. I mean really. How much of his crappy do we have to take.

Posted by T54 | Report as abusive

Fish humor just seems paltry in light of the Thanksgiving jokes we could be making.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I do not like them here and there
I do not like them on Basler Air
I do not like green eggs and Caviar
I do not like them Blog Guy you are

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Sacre bleu! You’ve made a foie gras, I mean faux pas, BG. That is not caviar on an egg. It’s black beans piled on vanilla yogurt that’s way, way past its expiration date.

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

@grok, snail caviar looks suspiciously like silica gel. Hmmm.

Is ones taste for cavair directly proportional to ones net worth? Cause if that’s the case it’s no wonder I find caviar repulsive.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I hope everyone has a pleasant day tomorrow, whether you celebrate Tahnksgiving or not. Carpe Diem! (“Seas the day!”)

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I think it looks more like ice cream.
There but for the glace of cod go I…

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Oh so wait, the eggs are inside that gelatinous stuff? How does that work? Since when did peach Jell-O become a food of the gourmand? What is the inspiration for naming the dish after a fashion designer? Did Christian Dior have an affinity for peach Jell-O? Why when I looked up the definition of “roe” Websters said it was “doe”? Does any of this make sense????

Oh look, a doughnut!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

That’s a “sliver” of fish roe? Looks more like a big dollop to me.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I don’t need donuts. I just piranha happy face! :)

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Piranha happy face?
Really, Doc?
That’s the sound of this blog hitting rock bottom. I guess I have that to be thankful for tomorrow.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Sorry, Bob, but that was the best fish line I could come up with. Maybe, I’ll tackle it later. I didn’t know it was a sinker. I did make a paltry/poultry joke. Isn’t that something to be thankful for. It’s certainly not something to coi about.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Grok, I can see you sent a link for snail caviar. the the picture of that product is the DE JAEGER one. it was sold by snail-caviar.com before but I believe they have stopped selling that one & have replaced with “Bellorr snail caviar”.

Posted by chris22 | Report as abusive

I’m glad I came to the blog today – no, not for the terrible puns. I now have two flavors of Krispy Kreme donuts to avoid – anything with roe and anything with goat.

Although anything with Laproaig may get a look in, except roe and goat of course.

Welcome home Doc!